These lights any good?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Tsun, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Are these good for growing? Do they have enough watts, lumens, etc.?

125 w Compact Fluorescent Lightwing System

Brief Description:
    No ballast necessary.AGRO-MAX Compact Fluorescent lamps provide full spectrum lighting and can be utilized alone or in conjunction with sodium lamp for improved yields.Comes with LightWing Reflector,Agrosun 125 watt compact fluorescent bulb (8,700 lumens 10,000+ hours rated life 6400 K color temperature),socket/cordset,and 1000 watt timer. One year Warranty on bulb.

Price: 160$ (includes bulb and everything)

After Edit: Ok, I've learned that the above lights are no good for the price, please disregard them. I found these on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/400-watt-HPS-GR...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Opinions?

2. You'd be better off getting a 400w MH or HPS for like $200 rather than getting that 125 flouro.. Reconsider maybe?

3. The thing is, I couldn't find any HPS lights for under 300$ (USD). Could you possibly give me a link? I'm kind of on a budget...

4. Well it depends how many plants do you want to grow and, will you be able to have good ventilation, if you can have great ventilation get a mh/hps ballast for like200-300 dollars maybe a 400 watt for 5 plants. But if your gonna have ventilation issues then go with the bulb your looking at.

http://www.shastahydroponics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Ugly-400 heres a link to a 400 watt hps for i tink under 200 dollars, i havnt dealt with the store before but maybe somebody else has.

5. Well, I'm planning on growing as many as I can, but it all depends on the lights that I get. As for ventilation, I think I have a pretty good set-up. What would really help me is a link to a website that sells HPS lights for no more than 200$, seeing as thats my limit on my budget for lights atm. I've searched far and wide for some, but I can't seem find any that are less than 300-400$.

6. http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?navid=53&pid=480 that is Discount hydro based in Southern CA and does most of their business UPS personally dealt with them and they are very decent priced. When you go to that link scroll down and look at the 400w valuline balast with the lumiwing reflector included it costs 159.99 about the same as your 125w.. You would do well to upgrade to the hortilux bulb for 45 bucks too...

7. check the link that vallyhempz posted above.
    400 watt HPS, bulb reflector and ballast (everything ya need) $159 dollars US, free shipping. Im placing an order in a day or two.

8. look on e-bay. they've got loads of stuff.

9. that's a steep price. It'd be worth it if it were $50-60.

Why don't you look into a T5 high output fluoro as it gives you good steady light over a good area for multiple plants.

Or just go really cheap and get a ton of sylvania 23w 1600lume 5000k lights and put them all over the place. they cost $6 at lowes and i just bought 2 of them...brighter than the sun i swear....

10. Also, for HPS...you can go to lowes or home depot and check out the security lighting/outdoor lighting section. They have a nice selection of cheap HPS systems that are all ready to go with ballasts. The cheaper ones are $50 for 70w.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=100964-290-MD70HW&lpage=none

But they also have 150w for $80-90 i think. And a good selection of MH bulbs and fixures. If you get 1 of those HPS and a few powerful CFL's it should be good, shouldn't it? I've never used an HPS lamp so I don't really know but have looked around for the last month also...

11. If your serious about results(and growing in a productive manner) I would recommend getting at least a 400, especially at 159 bucks... seems like a waste to spend 50-60 bucks when a hundred more can get you what you need to get some actual results(the kind you want at least).

12. Thanks you guys, ya'll all have been very helpful. I figured it was a bad price, but thats the cheapest light at my local hydro shop. Rip-offs. Anyway, I guess I'll be buying online. +rep for all of you.

13. After looking on ebay, I came up with the lights in my edit. Check em out. What do ya'll think? I don't know anything about grow lights, this being my first grow, but that price seems too too good to be true.