Thermal Switch?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by daz_rad, May 3, 2009.

1. Hey guys, I have been having ttrouble with temperature and humidity in my grow room. The main reason for this is that during the day the outside temp is up around 30C, bringing the grow room temp up to 35C, during the night its as low as 17C bringing my grow room to 15C. I can keep the room at a stable temperature if I stay home and adjust the fan speeds and cooler/heater speed, but I work during the day and cannot be here to monitor it.

Ultimately I am looking for a switch that turns my fans on at say 28C and off at perhaps 22C.

I live in australia, so alot of these things I have found on the net dont fit into my power supply.

any ideas?

2. What light cycle are you using? I have a similar problem in my climate, and started switching the cycle so the lights run the majority of their time during the night and turn off in mid morning. It has helped drop temps inside about 7-10 degrees. I don't know if that would be practical for your situation, but thought I'd throw it out there.

3. I found a thermostat at Home Depot that I used to control the heater. Set it to 70*, it only varied about 5-10* either way at max. It was hard wired, had larger gauge wire so you can wire it directly to your home wiring, and an outlet. It's meant for a baseboard heater I think, but it will work with whatever you need. Look at home improvement/hardware stores

4. would be so straight forward to wire an australian plug :smoking:

5. Thanks mate, The dude at my local hydro store keeps telling me that. but the problem is, I have too many light gaps and dont want to interupt thier dark periods, hence I run the lights during the day and off at night. cheers for the advice though

6. I dont know how to wire this sort of thing. is there any websites that give specific instructions n this sort of thing? or does someone happen to know? I can buy a digital thermostat but how do I wire my fan to it? and how does my fan plug into the wall if its wired to a thermostat?

excuse my lack of electronic knowledge, I am keen to learn though.

7. Is it your voltage or plug that is a problem ???

8. If you cut the plug wire of your fan/extractor fan/cooling device (close to the plug to give you plenty of cable) and carefully strip the outer plastic covering you will more than likely find 3 wires. A blue wire-which is Neutral, a brown wire-live and a green/yellow wire which is your ground or earth.

You then fit these wires to allocated slots on the inside of the digital thermostat much like the ones on the plug diagram(pic attached).

You then will have just the cable from you fan/""/"" going into the digital thermostat and the thermostat itself has a plug that will go straight into the mains; this is now wired and ready to go.

Some of the newer/more expensive thermostats have an option to run a cooling device e.g.to kick in when heat goes above 26degrees celcuis (as above) and another option to run a heater (the same way as explained above)if it gets too cold.
    This is jsut from the few thermostats i have come in to contact with, i'm sure there are thermostats on the market that make it alot harder to do.

Did this help?

9. :rolleyes:im sure Aussie plugs aren't much different when stripped

Attached Files:

10. Ill get all the equiptment and let kyou know how I go, I think I get the idea now though.

11. tis' straight forward

12. ok got a basic thermostat and noticed that I can wire the fan to it, but it ha no mains connections, should I run a cable from the thermostat to the fans old plug(the one I cut off) and use that in the mains?

I wont blow up my thermostat or anything will i?

Also, I made a booboo and got a heating Thermostat, so it turns on when its low and off when its high, can I easily re-wire this? or should I just return it and get the right one?