thermal imaging helicopters?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by christoferobbin, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Well thank God all of my plants are early finishers and I'll be out before the choppers come in November lol.

2. The come in October where I'm from

3. They start in July where im from and fly everyday until the end of Oct.

4. My plants will finish end of September. The exception is a mazar x white rhino which I'm told finishes October 15th. I still may not even grow that though.

5. How accurate is this information?

And would a small indoor CFL grow be detected?

6. Can I clear the air for a sec? The use of thermal imaging for detecting outdoor crops is used to find large outdoor crops with irrigation lines. They use this technology at night during the summer when there is a sharp contrast between the cool water lines and the hot ground surface temps. How do I know this? Because where I live is a hotspot of large illegal outdoor grows and is flown quite regularly throughout the year. Just this week there were over 2,000 plants confiscated in my county, and all of them were found from the air.
    To the OP, hell no they aren't flying looking for 4 plants. If they are close to an access road or trail they may still pull them if they inadvertantly spot them while looking for a significant grow. It's all about where you are. If they are pulling 10's of thousands of plants in a small area around your grow every year then you may have room for concern, Otherwise, I would just grow. Don't let fear get in the way of a very fun hobby. Guerilla growing is challenging, a good workout, and very rewarding when you pull it off. Just don't get greedy, and if you feel something is wrong stop going to the plants for a while. Usually that gut instinct is right.

7. No. Even a single 1,000 watt lamp grow isn't nearly enough heat. They use this technology for locating "GROW HOUSES, OR TRAILERS, OR BARNS". A typical 400 to 1,000 watt HID grow puts off about as much heat signature as your water heater, and not nearly as much as, let's say, your dryer vent. If that were the case they would have raided every person on earth for doing laundry. When you get into 10 to 20 thousand watt grows and are using a generator, or even worse, stealing juice, then you have something to worry about.

8. [quote name='"Toosick"']I actually had the thermal thing explained to me very well. What I was told is that they go out at dusk when the sun is setting. This is because when the sun goes down, plants, trees, and grass start to give off the heat they've been retaining. Apparently MJ retains more heat for a longer amount of time (lets it out slowly) unlike surrounding vegetation and grass which lets of the heat very rapidly. They spot the MJ because it is still giving off heat when the grass and vegetation have already lost it all.[/quote]

interesting ... i never knew that lol /:

9. Lots of bad info in this thread.

10. this is PURE speculation, but would it be rational to think that an mj plant with large colas could possibly retain heat (for a short amount of time anyway) compared to local vegetation and could potentially be spotted using FLIR IF LEO just so happened to be in the area at the right time?

11. Heard a chopper really loud yesterday right at dusk. Turned my tv off, looked out the window and saw what appeared to be a military chopper. Flying away from my house. It was louder than normal so I'm rather paranoid at the moment. I don't think it's crazy to think that large buds do retain heat more that other vegetation and can be picked up by thermal imaging. My 2 plants aren't even close to ready, I would say another 3-4 weeks, but I'm seriously contemplating going ahead and pulling them (or at least thinning them out) which sucks because I've come so far and have really fat sticky buds.

12. [quote name='"DVRMNTGTR"']Heard a chopper really loud yesterday right at dusk. Turned my tv off, looked out the window and saw what appeared to be a military chopper. Flying away from my house. It was louder than normal so I'm rather paranoid at the moment. I don't think it's crazy to think that large buds do retain heat more that other vegetation and can be picked up by thermal imaging. My 2 plants aren't even close to ready, I would say another 3-4 weeks, but I'm seriously contemplating going ahead and pulling them (or at least thinning them out) which sucks because I've come so far and have really fat sticky buds.[/quote]

are they located on your property?

13. Ya in my back yard. Hidden well from neighbors. Hard to camouflage from the electric eye though.

14. Helicopter thread after helicopter thread. It all varies state to state as we have discussed on different threads. In mine, they are everywhere to say the least. I know exactly what youre talking about clod w regards to the 15 sec rule! You can barely hear it til you see it then theyre loud as hell and right on you! Ive gotten many thorn cuts on my face and arms from those situations. As soon as i hear that faint "chop chop chop" i run to the nearest thicket n dive face first. Ive seen em get low and knock old dead limbs off trees too. Had a couple land 5 ft away and they would have killed me for sure. Ive even had em fly over my house and you can feel the houses foundation rattling! Those chopper blades are powerful!! Abyways back to this thread. Dont worry about thermal imaging unless youre planting a corn field full of pot. But do worry about them gettin spotted up above. In my state at least, i know they fly more around dusk so try to plant yours so that your plants are well in the shade by that time. It wont cure the prob 100% but you will have better chances of success.

15. question... if they had alreayd spotted your plants do you think they would rip them all out or what? i have 12 huge plants all within half a basketball courts area in the woods, some are 15 feet tall and they are all budding like crazy.. choppers are deffinatly in the area

16. Yea i would assume so. They would either keep an eye on it to see whos tending to it or they would chop it as soon as they spotted it. Now maybe if they saw one here or one there they might just fly over and leave it. Cant really say for sure.

17. do you believe the government would waste trillions of dollars looking for weapons of mass destruction that dont exist?....yup

18. They weren't looking for your plants. You're just getting paranoid,HTH.

19. I've seen stuff where the DEA, local law enforcement and the military all join forces to seek out grow ops indoors and outdoors at this time of year throughout October. I know for a fact a seasoned veteran can tell a single plant if spotted. Sure they prefer finding the mother load so they can look like big man heroes on tv, but I have no doubt they will bust a person for a single plant, even if not newsworthy. If you don't think cities OWN their own choppers with FLIR and GPS mapping for "general policing" then you're on crack. I personally live close to an industrial airport owned by the city i live in and have noticed in the last few days a LOT of aerial traffic, mostly military, so I hope it's just training missions. Never really paid much notice before, but I've also never grown outdoors either so needless to say I feel way paranoid. These agents think they are heroes and doing good things for the community by busting regular stiffs like you and me for a few plants. What they're really doing is feeding their egos, wasting $$$ and ruining families.

20. @Poppy-I hope you're right. I'm gonna keep growing this season regardless. I've come way too far now.