thermal imaging helicopters?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by christoferobbin, Mar 17, 2011.

1. i live pretty far out of town i wanna grow first time.. i wanna do 4 plants outside by a canal in this valley.
    sometimes in the summer you see a helicopter like a few times a month maybe possibly searching for plants.. would like 4 plants give a signature? or does it only detect large crops?

2. umm i think that they can only tell when there is big crops.
    they only get what they can see

3. the helicopters look for ground that has obvious amended soil you could get away with a small crop easily id be more worried about rippers a big crop will stick out like a sore thumb unless properly loacated and heat signatures are only used to bust indoor crops there used to look for the lights

4. You'll be fine

5. These threads really need to stop. Do you think the government or DEA is going to pay $25,000 + on renting the helicopter and gas to bust your 4 plants?

6. what are you talking about????????
    they don't rent choppers... they own the choppers...

the government and the Dea are the same,, Dea flys around in Black hawks....
    the local sheriff dept has reg choppers with thermal imaging...

Coast Guard choppers cost about 1100.00$ a hour to run, nowhere near 25gz.

And last but no least what your talking about is a SPECTRUM Meter, those only work on large scale grows... Thermal Imaging only shows Heat Signature's.

7. Thermal imaging is only used to find massive grows.. Manny other plants give off the same signature (such as beans) they really only use then in the national parks / Forests.

That's not to say they can't use there eyes to find your grow..

Don't leave any garbage, that's what they look for.

Also don't grow in rows, grow in bunches

WLter7093

8. I actually had the thermal thing explained to me very well. What I was told is that they go out at dusk when the sun is setting. This is because when the sun goes down, plants, trees, and grass start to give off the heat they've been retaining. Apparently MJ retains more heat for a longer amount of time (lets it out slowly) unlike surrounding vegetation and grass which lets of the heat very rapidly. They spot the MJ because it is still giving off heat when the grass and vegetation have already lost it all.

9. very good to know thank you

10. trees like elms and cedar do the same thing, so it is a good idea to plant your buds near them.

11. I am thinking about planting near cedars too.

12. I grew a few small guerilla patches last season in humbuldt county. The helicopters scoure the country side during harvest. I wached them fly over one or two of them. Maybe they saw them, maybe they didn't. The point is even if they did it wasn't enough for them to waste their time over. 4 plants aint grabbin no headlines. Keep em small and spread out. Plus they would have to hike their doughnut eatin fat asses up the mountain and then down the side of another mountain to get to them.

13. so, how would you get around this? I mean, are there other plants you could plant nearby (someone mentioned beans?) that could possibly cover up that imaging and would bunches of 3 or 4 give off significant amount of heat?

14. Sure. Why not? Its not like its their money. If they run out/short, all they do is claim they need more money to run the govt. and raise taxes. Or just borrow more and increase the nat'l debt.

15. #15 clodhopper, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011
    Thermal imaging has been used to locate indoor grows becasue grow lights cause a home to put out much more heat than is seen in a normal home, but the courts have disallowed them from using the technology unless their is some other evidence that would qualify as providing "probable cause" to search the property. For outdoor growers, thermal imaging is a myth. I have terribly heavy air surveillance from 3 differnent law enforcement agencies all with their very own helicopters. My best buddies brother is an assitant director of the federal effort and he's described their efforts several times: The feds use visual spotters. The have gotten very good and in the past few years, over 90% of their finds are less than 10 plants, but Cannabis has a unique color and is easily seen from the air.

Around here, we actually lean towards growing purpling plants as they seem to be less apparant and dont portray that flourescent green put of by green strains.

I also know for a fact that the state police and the sherriffs dept both use visual as well.

Last year, the feds started testing a new method of detection. They divide an area into grids and then photograph the grid area with a special camera. When they get back to base, they download the grid photos and a special computer program goes through the pic pixel by pixel to determine a predefined color.(cannabis) This could be a serious threat to outdoor growers if it is refined.

Fortunately, Obama has cut that section of funding from the federal irradication effort for this years budget - the police are mad about it and pushing congress hard for the funding..

16. They don't take the time to trek through the woods to rip out 5 or 6 plants though do they?

17. there not going to go out of there way for a small crop but that doesnt mean they cant

18. ....and many say he is a bad President. :confused_2:

19. if ur thinking of a local nature park with trails n such, yes they will get pulled.

good rule for me is if the woods has any sort of signpost indicating wat it is

ie

first landing park
    red wing
    turtle lake

they will get pulle3d

20. #20 clodhopper, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011

YES! YES! YES! They will by all means go anywhere for 1 plant. Have you seen "marijuana nation" on CNBC of National Geo? The commander talks extensively about the ways growers have changed and now they have smaller grows and that the average discovered plot has less than 6 plants? They show the troopers repelling out of a chopper in a remote area to cut 3 plants!!

If you grow in a railroad right of way or on federal property, they will go to whatever extent possible to catch you even growing one plant, becuase its a mandatory prison sentence and they will survail the area with cameras for weeks on end to catch you growing that plant.

When the cops ask for funding, they use the number of grows busted to base their request on, and a single plant is a several thousand dollar big time "grow" by thieir description.... and a dangerous situation in which they risked their very lives to destroy the illegial crop. Their description? "see all of this dope we catch?, we need more money and helicopters"

One other point. I know for a fact that you cant hear a chopper comming until the thing is right on you if youre in your patch, and when they hover less than 100' over the ground, the wind from the blades seperate the vegetion and if your under a tree, it breaks the limbs off of the tree - you can get hurt hiding under a tree. LOOK AROUND YOUR PATCH AND DECIDE WHERE YOUR GOING TO HIDE IN THE 15 SECONDS YOU HAVE BEFORE THE CHOPPER IS RIGHT ABOVE YOU. Trying to find somewhere to hide after you hear the chopper means you may very likely be seen and are headed to jail.