There may be hope in this world

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by EMP, Jan 2, 2014.

1. I've been going through a huge transitional period in my life. Finishes school a few years back, packed my bags to Paris to study pastry, and am back now not knowing what to do with my life. There are tons of opportunities but too many options are stressful too! 

Having always been driven, and wanting to be successful and rich my whole life, something changed when I went to University. I began opening up channels in my mind that I never even knew existed. I began to love things, people, and the world for its beauty. I have this never ending feeling that I need to help people, be nice to people on the street, and save the world. Or at least try. 

Saving the world...well that's a pretty big life goal. And although I want to think that I can, it's simply impossible. But if everyone tries that little bit harder everyday, things could change if the world is ready to be saved. You can't help those who don't want to be helped. 

That being said, a was struck by a moment yesterday. Almost like a bright light that came out of all this darkness. No it wasn't the girl of my dreams...haha. 

It was a man, carrying Starbucks coffee back home I'm assuming to his family. I was in my own world, listening to music and all of a sudden, this man stops, says happy new year, his smile was genuine and warm, I say happy new year back in return, and we go our separate ways. 

What I'm trying to get at is that he would take the time to just give a nice gesture without wanting anything in return. I saw me in him for that glimpse, and at that moment, I had the epiphany that there really are good people out there, who have this same feeling as I do to send out joy and love without wanting anything in return. 

I know that this was a super simple and perhaps meaningless moment. But it hit me in such a strong way that I had to share with my fellow blades. 

Peace and have a happy new year! 

2. I literally just now had a pretty similar experience. I work at a college where I work in the Copy Center. I have been here for a while now and most of the professors are in there own little world with the stress of their own procrastinations on them, come in to the office, get there job, then leave without saying one word to me or even acknowledge that I am there, even if I acknowledge them first I am replied with silence. I was in a pretty bad mood earlier due to things on my plate right now but one professor came in just to say hi, happy new year and that he hopes I had a good one, he had no job order or anything just took a little time out to stop by a fellow human who interactions are spent with to say hello and essentially deep down communicate "you are not alone" . People like that are the change. You are the change. I am the change. We are the change. We are not alone

3. im prett much in same in same boat. out of highschool went to culinary school, went and started hunting out for me me and me. idkk i guess i followed a path that i thought i never would walk...and among shit and shit, i have been loost for a long time. just recently has my focus switched to "us" instead of you and i, me and her, me and you. ive certainly let down barriers and walls that i thought i never would, especially with strangers, and am constantly just trying to be a better half to us.

4. Way to go man! Keep spreading them good vibes :D

5. You should make this thread just about people that make us have hope. A few months ago I was longboarding and took a nasty ass dive going like 35 I was sitting on the side of the road with a leg and arm all torn up. All these people driving by me and staring, like "wow this dude got fucked up" one lady stopped and asked if she could help at all. That's when I had my "epiphany" she insisted that she would give me a ride to the nearest place I needed to go. she had a brand new car. I told her I didn't wanna get her car all bloody but I thanked her so much. She was the one person that stopped and thought. "Wow this dude got fucked up, maybe he could use some help" And I would still wanna meet her again just to say. Thanks, hit me up if I can help you out. Because that one positive thing can have an amazing impact on the person you pass it on to. Sorry for the long post.

6. Great responses guys! 

Thanks for this! I totally agree about focusing our attention on us instead of "I". Something so simple but makes so much sense. 

Good deeds like this only come natural. Something within brings out acts of kindness in these people. You shouldn't need to try hard to be a good person. 

7. Just goes to show one good deed really does go a long way. Great post OP. Cheers

8. its so sad that we get excited over strangers actually acknowledging each others existance. i do to but its like damn, thats really how it is..

9. [quote name="nesw" post="19282926" timestamp="1388898971"]its so sad that we get excited over strangers actually acknowledging each others existance. i do to but its like damn, thats really how it is..[/quote]Ya. It's like they get the "Good Samaritan" award for just being a normal person and helpin someone out. .

10. #10 Nerd139, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
    This reminds me of when I was walking home from school one day. I had stayed after for some tutoring with my teacher because I had missed a lot of days of school. As I was walking home it started pouring rain and thunder. Shit was terrible and I had a good 25 minutes before I got home. As I am walking a bunch of cars drove by me and in some of the cars I recognized teachers from my school. As I am nearing home only about 3 minutes away I walk by a woman who was in there car with I assume her children and she actually reverses the car and rolls down the window and offers to give me a ride home. For someone to go out of their way like that restored some of my faith in humanity. I didnt accept her lift since I was so soaked and close to him but I was real touched by it.

Not as bad as needing medical attention though.

11. I can't trust the world anymore...... no-body can be trusted anymore.....