There is no you

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by 4::20, May 5, 2011.

1. I see what you did there. :cool:

2. #22 4::20, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
    It's funny, because there is a forum totally devoted to convincing people that THEY AREN"T :p

And over 100 people had been conviced, and happy about it (seriously).

I don't know, call it a virtual sect, but many 'noobs' through simple conversation truly saw (or they believe that they truly saw) that they don't exist (and at first they were like: wtf are you talking about, cogito ergo sum! but after few hours/days: OMFG, 'I' was wrong).

I'm one of the persons which DON'T see it truly, but understand it theoretically, I started analyzing non-existence about 8 days ago, and I'm not gonna stop until I'm - as they call it - 'liberated'.

They say that is The Truth, they are very fanatic about it, that's true, but they have the gift of the gab through logic.
    And they have wicked tradition/tactic of calling people 'cunts and dicks' if users don't understand something, and it's strange, because users aren't running away, they're analysing their own statements and most of them agree, that they were wrong.

whatya think?
    --
    sorry for my poor english

3. #23 WhosGotTheHerb, May 6, 2011
    Couldn't agree more. The thing is, if we didn't truly exist, how can I live in the same house as someone else? Or ride in the same car as someone else? Our experiences may be different (because our thought process is different), but at the same time, our experience will be rather similar.. so what causes that similarity/difference?

To me, it is our connection of consciousness, seperated by our egos, but what is everyone elses thoughts?

4. [FONT=&quot]Without feedback, without mirrors, or companionship, or anything other than itself to reference, the singularity is isolated in a sea of potential, a sea of chaos, the Void.. the most basic principle of existence eventually emerges from the chaos, ‘self-organization', order emerges from chaos, it has always been thus.. but, there was nothing to ‘organize', no ‘other', no anything ‘other' than itself, and its ‘self-awareness'..and yet, the principle emerges in a stunning act of intelligent curiosity, the Singularity asks THE question that is its ‘New Beginning'… “WHAT AM I”?.. to know itself, it must study itself with unconditional sincerity, without prejudice or desire.. actually, there is no such reference for ‘prejudice or desire' by the Singularity, as no feedback informs it of such concepts.. [/FONT]

5. #25 WhosGotTheHerb, May 6, 2011
    with singularity, how do you reproduce?

If you believe in evolution, then you would think the first being wasn't human at all. Now I ask you, do you think animals have the ability to ask themselves this question? Or bacteria for that matter..

6. The fact that we are all connected on a fundamental level and agree to accept 'reality' as something we both believe in.

7. #27 WhosGotTheHerb, May 6, 2011
    But how is it you are believing? and how does this connection work do you think? If we "just existed", then what created that thought process of connection do you think? It's just hard to accept that EVERYTHING needed for a life to exist, just happened out of phenomenon.. (think about the electricity needed for the brain, think of the blood needed, think of every single organ needed to survive, think of the skin that covers all those organs/bones, think of the complexity of DNA) Do you see what I'm getting at? Life IS a miracle.:D

8. #28 ArgoSG, May 6, 2011
    It's funny, because there's a website totally devoted to a flat earth society.

And over 1,000 people are convinced and happy about it.(seriously)

I don't know, call it a virtual sect, but many 'noobs' through simple conversation truly saw (or they believe that they truly saw) that the earth is flat (and at first they were like: wtf are you talking about, Physics! but after few hours/days: OMFG, 'I' was wrong).

I'm one of the persons which DON'T see it truly, but understand it theoretically, I started analyzing non-sphericity about 8 days ago, and I'm not gonna stop until I'm - as they call it - 'liberated'.

They say that is The Truth, they are very fanatic about it, that's true, but they have the gift of the gab through logic.
    And they have wicked tradition/tactic of calling people 'roundheads and globe-for-brains' if users don't understand something, and it's strange, because users aren't running away, they're analysing their own statements and most of them agree, that they were wrong.

whatya think?

9. #29 4::20, May 6, 2011
  10. NO! You do have the freedom of speech! Please don't let peoples negative opinions influence your decision of faith. (remember you can place faith in ANYTHING)

By negative, I mean force. Not negative=wrong.

11. Whoa... whoa.

12. The list of liberated people include such scholars as the 45 year old burnout who packs bags at the local organic grocery and the 15 year old kid who recently stopped his airplane glue habit. We've reached a philosophical breakthrough.

13. Face it, we're all here on this fucked up yet beautiful planet

14. What's your point? it's just an interesting idea to think of, that's why i'm posting it on stoners forums ...

btw. here's topic on philosophy Do you believe a 'you' exists? - boards.ie

and some of many posts of quite a few blogs about this 'experience':

Burning True: Reality Alone
    Burning True: The Answer
    The Self is False: Free at last

long read written by creator of the forum Ruthless Truth: The Thunder And The Sunshine

and here's very good FAQ: Gh0$t V1rU$: FAQs

15. My point is that it's a load of shit. You're free to post it and discuss it and find it interesting, of course. But uh... :bolt:

16. Do you have any arguments to back up your idea that this a false notion, outside of belittling those who you disagree with?

17. I don't need any. Burden of Proof

18. Has no one gotten tired of this same old "THERE IS NO REAL YOU" 'breakthrough' that people seem to come up with once a week?

It's called the ego. You either accept it for what it is, or you don't.

And yet, once a week, some teenager comes to the same conclusion millions of others have had about the ego, and spouts off about it like it's some deep revelation of spirit.

19. Here is why the egoic "I" (defined as an identity which we create for ourselves out of selected bits and pieces of past experiences) does not exist in the present moment.

This identity is a structure created by the mind, which exists entirely in past experiences. Past experiences exist to the same degree that an imagined fantasy or daydream exists. This egoic identity so commonly referred to as "I" can only exist in this present moment when we manifest it through thought.... it has no real substance.

For instance, a former/retired NFL player may define himself, in his egoic identity, as a "football player". However, when he is eating dinner, football does not exist in his experience. He is no more a football player than his cat is a football player at that moment. His egoic identity of "football player" only exist in his head, due to his constantly remembering himself when he was a football player and creating a linear timeline in which he sees the same "I" then as he does now. The "I" then exists only in his mind, not in the actuality of the present moment.

The present moment is the only thing which truly exists, thus if this identity cannot exist in the present moment, it cannot exist ever.

As I noted, the proper defintion of "I" is the actuality of your experience in the present moment. That man may be pretending or thinking of himself as a football player while he is eating dinner, but in the actuality of that present moment, he is not. Rather, he is simply a man eating dinner... and even that will change in a matter of minutes. Thus, there is no constant egoic idenity of "I" outside of the constant awareness underlying all experience.

Now I would like to hear your argument.

20. #40 WhosGotTheHerb, May 6, 2011
    Life is what you make it. You can either choose for the world to be beautiful, or "fucked up". Remember, YOU make your reality. :D

I understand your frustration, but if people stopped "realising" it, would it exist?

My point is just because you have "realised" it, does not mean others cannot anymore.

If we can label it as the ego (reality), then what is consciousness? ;)