There is a strange idolization of loner culture

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by TheSinisterOne, Mar 17, 2021.

1. It seems in the time I’ve been alive many movies and books and shows seem to idolize the loner character either making them the main character or the love of the main character. This is a stark contrast from how loners were demonized in many older media portrayal why has this shift occurred. I was thinking I think the reason might be our focus on mental health now or our better focus. Or moreso the focus of those who produce these media portrayals often have a strong stance on such things. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. I think you should leave it alone.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. "United we stand, divided we fall".

In general the media and politics etc are trying to separate people, break bonds, etc... divided people are easier to rule/conquer/influence/sell stuff too.

I've heard that back in the 80's people on average had 2 really close friends, now it's 1, etc... it's a trend, you will see it pop up in various places.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. EXACTLY! This is why we see so much push for political tension in the media these days. Left vs Right, Liberal vs Conservative, men vs women... The more we are fighting one another we cannot come together and fight off our real enemies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eek, this is triggering lol

6. Lots of old movies idolized the loner character. James Dean in "Giant" for one.

7. Pandemic ...Never ....Not Here... Not a Chance

8. Society has become slowly less dependent on community, that might be part of it.

Before, if you were a loner in the tribe, you may have appeared to contribute less to the group. Now, that's not needed anymore, and the loner symbolizes a sense of freedom from that group