There are only 2 genders

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Burrito Wizard, Jun 25, 2018.

1. #41 generic98547, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Weird stuff going on

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Don't matter what you can cut and paste off the internet. When you start out with someones feelings and build an analogy around it, make up some new phrases and throw a few $64 jargon words in there to make it sound uppity, you end up with bad science.
    A dude born with a dick is not a chick. Lipstick and high heels may make you feel pretty, but it doesn't change the hard fact. I you were born with a vagina, that's what you get. It is not a choice. Wearing dungarees and work boots might make you feel tough, but the fact is you are still a woman. Perhaps an alpha woman, but that's personality, not gender.
    Mutilating your body does not make you the opposite sex. Gender is the same thing as sex. You are not a man in a womans body or a woman in a mans body. That's impossible. A mental disorder does not change the definition. All you're doing is twisting/spinning science to justify posers.
    I have never heard of a human being born a hermaphrodite. But if someone were to be born with both genitals, that would be a birth defect. If this person were to live in this condition, would this person have the ability to impregnate themself?
    Be careful lumping humans into same comparisons with lizards and plants. That's headed for bad science again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. I have heard of hermaphrodites 50 years ago. Just a fact of life some are born with both.
    They can be fully or partially functional.

Brings a whole new meaning should you tell them go F themselves.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. This is a stupid debate and a stupid question as far as I’m concerned and really is just about the breakdown of language as a tool. Language is an imperfect tool. When we use it were using placeholder terms that are very general. When we say man or woman we are generally referring to their biological sex which is 100 percent real. Very few liberals or even SJW’s argue this point. It’s pretty much agreed that there are two biological sexes, with the exception of a small percent of people who are born with weird genitalia or issues that essentially allow them to choose which biological sex they want to be. When people say there are more than two genders more often than not they’re referring to gender roles or the social perspective of what it means to be in a certain gender. The point being that when we think of female we also think about certain more feminine traits such as being more submissive, more people oriented, etc. The point many gender activists are making is that gender is largely a social construct and two gender identical is not enough to represent the broad spectrum of identities out there. Personally I don’t get the idea of identitying with anything, but I do think there is some validity to the idea that two genders terms do not accurately represent the full spectrum of social patterns between the different biological sizes.

5. When someone tells me to "go fuck myself". I say "I already do 8 times a day sometimes more.".

6. #46 jimihendrix42, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    [​IMG]

Carlos, 12, holds a photo of himself as a girl. He is one of a small group of children born in the Dominican Republic with an enzyme deficiency. Their genitalia appear female at birth—then, with a surge of testosterone at puberty, they develop male genitals and mature into men. His uncle simply says Carlos “found his own rhythm.”

[​IMG]

Born with an intersex chromosomal condition, Emma, 17, had incomplete male and female anatomy. She was raised as a girl, always aware of her special situation. “I’m comfortable with my differences,” she says. Shy and inventive, she spends hours among the clouds in her bedroom in Florida creating intricate adventures and videos using My Little Pony dolls
    [​IMG]
    Jonathan, eight, has identified as both a boy and a girl at the same time since age two and a half. At California’s Bay Area Rainbow Day Camp, where children can safely express their gender identities, Jonathan tries on life as a unicorn.

The conversation continues, with evolving notions about what it means to be a woman or a man and the meanings of transgender, cisgender, gender nonconforming, genderqueer, agender, or any of the more than 50 terms Facebook offers users for their profiles. At the same time, scientists are uncovering new complexities in the biological understanding of sex.

Many of us learned in high school biology that sex chromosomes determine a baby’s sex, full stop: XX means it’s a girl; XY means it’s a boy. But on occasion, XX and XY don’t tell the whole story.

Today we know that the various elements of what we consider “male” and “female” don’t always line up neatly, with all the XXs—complete with ovaries, vagina, estrogen, female gender identity, and feminine behavior—on one side and all the XYs—testes, penis, testosterone, male gender identity, and masculine behavior—on the other. It’s possible to be XX and mostly male in terms of anatomy, physiology, and psychology, just as it’s possible to be XY and mostly female.

Each embryo starts out with a pair of primitive organs, the proto-gonads, that develop into male or female gonads at about six to eight weeks. Sex differentiation is usually set in motion by a gene on the Y chromosome, the SRY gene, that makes the proto-gonads turn into testes. The testes then secrete testosterone and other male hormones (collectively called androgens), and the fetus develops a prostate, scrotum, and penis. Without the SRY gene, the proto-gonads become ovaries that secrete estrogen, and the fetus develops female anatomy (uterus, vagina, and clitoris).

But the SRY gene’s function isn’t always straightforward. The gene might be missing or dysfunctional, leading to an XY embryo that fails to develop male anatomy and is identified at birth as a girl. Or it might show up on the X chromosome, leading to an XX embryo that does develop male anatomy and is identified at birth as a boy.

A recent survey of a thousand millennials found that half of them think gender is a spectrum.
    Genetic variations can occur that are unrelated to the SRY gene, such as complete androgen insensitivity syndrome (CAIS), in which an XY embryo’s cells respond minimally, if at all, to the signals of male hormones. Even though the proto-gonads become testes and the fetus produces androgens, male genitals don’t develop. The baby looks female, with a clitoris and vagina, and in most cases will grow up feeling herself to be a girl.

Which is this baby, then? Is she the girl she believes herself to be? Or, because of her XY chromosomes—not to mention the testes in her abdomen—is she “really” male?

Georgiann Davis, 35, was born with CAIS but didn’t know about it until she stumbled upon that information in her medical records when she was nearly 20. No one had ever mentioned her XY status, even when doctors identified it when she was 13 and sent her for surgery at 17 to remove her undescended testes. Rather than reveal what the operation really was for, her parents agreed that the doctors would invent imaginary ovaries that were precancerous and had to be removed.

In other words, they chose to tell their daughter a lie about being at risk for cancer rather than the truth about being intersex—with reproductive anatomy and genetics that didn’t fit the strict definitions of female and male.

“Was having an intersex trait that horrible?” wrote Davis, now a sociologist at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, in Contesting Intersex: The Dubious Diagnosis. “I remember thinking I must be a real freak if even my parents hadn’t been able to tell me the truth.”

A Third Gender in Polynesia

[​IMG]
    In Samoa, best friends 12-year-old Sandy (at left) and 10-year-old Mandy (in white T-shirt) do an impromptu dance with their friends and cousins. They identify as faafafine, a gender other than boy or girl. Fa‘afafine children generally take on girls’ roles in play and family. As adults they remain anatomically male with feminine appearance and mannerisms. They help with household chores and childcare and choose men for sexual partners.
    [​IMG]

In Samoa, best friends 12-year-old Sandy (at left) and 10-year-old Mandy (in white T-shirt) do an impromptu dance with their friends and cousins. They identify as faafafine, a gender other than boy or girl. Fa‘afafine children generally take on girls’ roles in play and family. As adults they remain anatomically male with feminine appearance and mannerisms. They help with household chores and childcare and choose men for sexual partners.

Trisha Tuiloma (at right) and a cousin (at left) help prepare the Sunday meal at Tuiloma’s mother’s house. Tuiloma is fa‘afafine, and she feels certain that her five-year-old nephew, lounging across her lap, is too.
    her lap, is too.

Mandy, in her beloved high-heeled sandals, turns towels on a clothesline into a costume only she can imagine—off in her own world of daydreams.

Mandy, wearing one of her favorite dresses, adorns her hair with a matching yellow blossom.

Sandy (foreground) and Mandy take a break from the midday sun and

Mandy, in her beloved high-heeled sandals, turns towels on a clothesline into a costume only she can imagine—off in her own world of daydreams.

Mandy, wearing one of her favorite dresses, adorns her hair with a matching yellow blossom.

Sandy (foreground) and Mandy take a break from the midday sun and heat, resting and whispering on a platform bed in Mandy’s home. The friends are dressed in lavalavas, traditional Samoan clothing worn by both women and men.

Another intersex trait occurs in an isolated region of the Dominican Republic; it is sometimes referred to disparagingly as guevedoce—“penis at 12.” It was first formally studied in the 1970s by Julianne Imperato-McGinley, an endocrinologist from the Weill Cornell Medical College in New York, who had heard about a cohort of these children in the village of Las Salinas. Imperato-McGinley knew that ordinarily, at around eight weeks gestational age, an enzyme in male embryos converts testosterone into the potent hormone DHT. When DHT is present, the embryonic structure called a tubercle grows into a penis; when it’s absent, the tubercle becomes a clitoris. Embryos with this condition, Imperato-McGinley revealed, lack the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT, so they are born with genitals that appear female. They are raised as girls. Some think of themselves as typical girls; others sense that something is different, though they’re not sure what.

But the second phase of masculinization, which happens at puberty, requires no DHT, only a high level of testosterone, which these children produce at normal levels. They have a surge of it at about age 12, just as most boys do, and experience the changes that will turn them into men (although they’re generally infertile): Their voices deepen, muscles develop, facial and body hair appear. And in their case, what had at first seemed to be a clitoris grows into a penis.

When Imperato-McGinley first went to the Dominican Republic, she told me, newly sprouted males were suspect and had to prove themselves more emphatically than other boys did, with impromptu rituals involving blades, before they were accepted as real men. Today these children are generally identified at birth, since parents have learned to look more carefully at newborns’ genitals. But they are often raised as girls anyway.
    Gender is an amalgamation of several elements: chromosomes (those X’s and Y’s), anatomy (internal sex organs and external genitals), hormones (relative levels of testosterone and estrogen), psychology (self-defined gender identity), and culture (socially defined gender behaviors). And sometimes people who are born with the chromosomes and genitals of one sex realize that they are transgender, meaning they have an internal gender identity that aligns with the opposite sex—or even, occasionally, with neither gender or with no gender at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. This is not true. Simone de Beauvoir formulated the distinction between gender and biological sex in the late forties in her famous book the second sex. Her point which is still argued heavily amongst social scientists is that certain qualities considered to be feminine or masculine probably come more from socialization than actual biological instinct. Once again this is an area of hot debate amongst social scientists and some decent evidence has been ascertained for both theories. I’d wager a lot of female/male behavior is partially derived from biological instinct and partially derived from socialization. The question of importance is how much is influenced by biology versus perceived gender roles which are enforced by our culture and this question is still really an open one as it’s very hard to derive a theory which adequately tests these ideas in a conclusive way. Do you believe all differences in gender roles are purely derived from differences in biological sexes? Do you really not think socialization plays a role in how we define gender roles in our society?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. There are two genders. It ain't that hard. You eithet have a y chromosome (which makes you male) or you have two x chromosomes thus making you female.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Do you agree with the idea that is probably a combination of biological influence and social constructs. I have a hard time beleiving the absolutists who claim disparities in the sexes are entirely due to biological influences just as much as I have a hard time beleiving the absolutists who claim the disparities in sexes are entirely due to social constructs. Imo the far more likely answer is it’s due to both and the more interesting question is if you could quantify it how much does each of these play a role in these disparities. Also I would say the research is more mixed and of the research which exists I find a lot of it pretty inconclusive. Psychological experiments of this nature have a long history of bad replvicabiltiy and have a hard time controlling for the large array of confounding variables as scientists can not impose controls on their test subjects.

10. At the end of the day you guys are all engaging in a semantical argument. The modern definition of gender is the social construct of what it means to be a man or woman or genderqueer or whatever. Biological sex is a clearly defined technical term (Man, woman, exception). Biological sex often influences gender as most people simply identify with the biological sex they were born with. Additionally biological sex may have some impact on the qualities we define the gender roles as being. But ultimately gender roles are very amorphous and don’t have clear technical definitions like biological sex. The distinction was largely created to understand why amongst people with the same biological sex there could be such vastly different modes of being. So much to the point that it made people question whether biological sex was the sole driver of these gender roles or if social constructs could also play a role. At this point when people refer to gender they are often not referring to biological sex. If you think that’s stupid fine but at least understand the argument that you are engaging with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. the better focus would be as to why people want more than two genders

theres no denying that more than 2 have been noted

i think it has something to do with attempting to change the view of norms in order to eliminate racism or sexism and shit

but its being done in the most horrid of ways trying to censor through spreading diversity, racial tensions and such exist but if they were eliminated because race is irrelevant because so are genders... thats my train of thought

something the society is subconsciously doing

just my thoughts

12. Why is this even a question?

Don't we all know there is 2 genders?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. I take it you haven't had the displeasure of talking to an SJW recently

14. What does SJW mean? I have been wanting to know that for a while now lol.

~Toni~

15. Social Justice Warrior.

16. Idk what that means lol but thnx.

~Toni~

17. From Wiki
    Social justice warrior (commonly abbreviated SJW) is a pejorative term for an individual who promotes socially progressive views, including feminism, civil rights, and multiculturalism,[1][2] as well as identity politics.[3] The accusation that somebody is an SJW carries implications that they are pursuing personal validation rather than any deep-seated conviction,[4] and engaging in disingenuous arguments.[5]

The phrase originated in the late 20th century as a neutral or positive term for people engaged in social justice activism.[1] In 2011, when the term first appeared on Twitter, it changed from a primarily positive term to an overwhelmingly negative one.[1] During the Gamergate controversy, the negative connotation gained increased use, and was particularly aimed at those espousing views adhering to social liberalism, cultural inclusivity, or feminism, as well as views deemed to be politically correct.[1][2]

18. This is the most bigoted thread on GC. Many of you are on the wrong side of history.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Being on the wrong side of biology doesn't make you "on the right side of history" but in the mind of an SJW black is white, up is down, there are infinite genders and white straight men are the cause of every bad thing in the world so fuck it. No use talking to crazy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. It is sad that some apparently aren't bright enough to understand the difference between gender and sex.