Therapeutic Value of Psychedelics

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by littlefoot, Aug 18, 2009.

1. I just finished Rick Strassmans DMT book, really good, but one of the most interesting sections was the one were he describes the use of Psychedelics (Mescalline, LSD, Psilocybin) in Psychological therapy until the "War on Drugs" brought and end to it. I think there might be something to that, seeing as there are less physical side effects with Psychedelics.

Psychedelic therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thoughts?
    Experiences?

2. There was a really cool article in Discover a few months back about using the active ingredient in shrooms along with psychotherapy to treat disorders like PTSD.. Definitely worth checking out

3. #3 MelT, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009

I dont want to bang on about it again, but his whole premise for claiming a spiritual connection between DMT, the pineal, the Bardo and spirituality is wrong.

TBH too, the experimental use of psychedelics as treatment is still going on, though it suffers from the same lack of funding nowadays as every other form of research. Many areas were closed because they were dead ends, and much stopped years before the war on drugs because of this. I put a short list of some of the places that psychedelics are still being researched at a similar thread a little while ago. All those areas showing promise are still being researched. Strassman is fond of claiming that he created a resurgence in psychedelic research, when in fact it didn't stop for 'decades' as he says, it slowed through lack of funding and new interest, it didn't stop.

http://forum.grasscity.com/science-nature/431501-i-think-we-have-problem-psychedelic-science-2.html

MelT

4. I agree, the DMT spiritual and dream connection was pretty loose, and the 48 day pineal connection was loose as well, still made for an interesting read though. But everybody that's heard the theory is gonna spread it like crazy without any look into it lol

That's interesting though, glad to hear that, I would much rather somebody take Mescalline once for therapy than take an SSRI everyday IMO