Theory

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Vortak, Dec 10, 2004.

1. I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and my stoner group has been talking about it for a while. But if you really think about it, everything is a theory, and nothing can be proven. You can not prove that god exists, you cannot prove that you exist, you cannot prove this computer screen you think you are looking at really exists. But we all function by basing our actions on what we percieve to be real. But how can we be so sure it is real? Has anyone here seen a hypnotist at work? It is truly amazing because they can make a person see anything just through the power of suggestion. They tell them that the number 7 doesnt exist and when they count their fingers they are amazed that they have 11 fingers, when they have always known they had 10. They can make objexts appear, disapeer and your body to function with these new intructions in mind, almost like programming. But if nothing is ever truth, then how can that be truth? Or is the only truth is that there is no truth..... other than that one truth. Its pretty confusing but if you really think about it, its almost like.... the one thing that can be totally true in anything. Because you dont even know if existance exists. You can never be sure, it could just be a thought, or a spark within a spark. Existance could exist on a totally different level that we cannot possibly comprehend. Id really like to know what everyone thinks about this.

2. you forgot " "~ the matricks :D .pondering existance is too hard. ill speak on this later.

3. well this is what epistomologists try to find out.. many people have theories, and theories of theories, of course without any hard evidence they have no reason to believe in them.. any conclusion that is a belief based on facts as premises are false because in the end it is still a belief.. this goes for moral issues as well, for example, you can't say "hilter is evil" because that's jumping to conclusions.. the way to say it is "i dislike hitler" and that's ok to say because it implies that it's a belief, the former was implying that hitler was in FACT evil..

the few things that i can place my trust in is math, and some science, tho i'd have to have further knowledge of science to believe in most of the stuff out there.. if you can explain it to me and i get it without question, then to me it will be true..

but what is truth?? is it subjective or objective? can there be an answer to which we don't even know the question yet? i'll leave that up to you guys to debate..