Theory on where the mind goes after death

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Antacids, Mar 22, 2008.

1. The other day my friend mentioned to me that after you die, presuming your brain wasn't destroyed, that brain waves are sent off in the brain 10 hours after death. So during this time, it would be as if you were in an isolation tank.

You would have no sight, no hearing, no touch, no smell, no taste, you would only have the voice inside your mind. So as you are dead, you could possibly still think, so for 10 hours you would just be thinking with the voice in your head.

My questions are, is the 10 hours thing true, could you possible still have senses such as touch and hearing or even sight?

2. I always get these weird feelings when I try to think about things like this. I don't even know what to say. One of those things you need to discuss in person.

3. 10 hours? I don't know.. But I know if you cut the head off of a person and their eyes are still opened they can still see for 2 minutes I think it was..

I'm not sure if they brain can still work after the blood stops circulating and no airs gets to the brain

4. Well i guess that is a dualistic approach to it. That is that you believe the mind and body are two seperate things.

There are many reports on people having very conscious like experiences after they have no cardiathric rhythm and even no EEG brain wave activity at all! Stuff is called Near Death Experiences or NDE. This is of course only based on anecdotal reports after the person is 'revived' This stuff however starts heading into the scary, dark, thrown away field of science... parapsychology. Science hates it and rarely looks into it too deeply.

Although these.... phenomena, do support the survival theory, that the mind and body are seperate, and 'you' is not made up of just your brain. There is something more to 'you' that is your soul, or your mind, or whatever you want to call it. And this part of 'you' which is non physical of course, lives on after death. A pretty comforting idea but i dunno...

I'm more materialistic in my beliefs, i think any sort of near death experience or the likes can be explained neurochemicaly. And the only thing we can know is something that is physical.

As for that fact of brain waves after 10 hours i have no idea if that is true or not, i would not think so though it seems to be an exaggerated number.

5. A flash.
    Darkness.
    And then you are born again.
    No memories remain.

6. I heard 12 minutes

i think it would just be an infinite dream (maybe what "heaven" is actually a metaphor for)

7. this guy's got it:

[​IMG]

8. wrong forum Antacids...

9. [​IMG]

10. Not always true. I watched this documentary about this little boy in australia I think, but he claims he remembers his african village, can speak the language, and can locate his small village in africa, which he's never been before.

I do believe that we come back as different life forms, or maybe not even life forms at all, what if we were just energy and the energy soaked into the coffin and we remained a piece of energy stuck inside some cotton matting for eternity. Haha, that would suck. The chance of coming back human are very slim if you ask me, not to mention being born in the right country and time.

11. your mind doesn't go anywhere

when you are dead your snyapses can't fire

no one is one with the earth, lets be serious here, re-incarnation is just dumb

12. nothingness.

remember how it was before you were born?

exactly. thats "after-death" for ya..

13. whoa whoa whoa.

bash re-incarnation all you want, i think its just as silly.

but i have been "one with the earth" so many times that its a fucking fact, not perception.

(^^ the sentence above is my perception)

14. :confused_2: hey, I'm just trying to bring the fact that there is a dedicated philosophy section to light. If he wants to find an awareness of the nature of death, he should start with being aware of where things belong.

15. Reincarnation? Possible.. I use to believe it but I'm more so when you die.. It's like being before you were born.. I mean you are you.. You're one of a kind.. Unique per say.. I don't think it could happen twice... But who knows.. Maybe I was abraham lincoln

16. but the thing is, if you really DO come back as another person, and have abslutely no memory than it's like it doesn't even matter, and you are a completely different person you know? so it could might as well be 'nothingness' because this life, these memories and these thoughts as we know it will probably never be remembered

so yeah.. can a distinction between 'nothingness' (i.e before you were born) and coming back as another person really be made? in both cases the 'minds' that we have today will not exist, and we will have no memory of them at all

17. your mind just stops existing just like the magnetic field around a motor stops existing when you turn the motor off.

18. how could anyone know that someone has conscious thought 10 hours after death if they never come back to speak of it, i've been dead for a minute n a half and it was just total nothingness, felt like i blinked my eyes but at the same time like forever, hard to explain, then i felt my head jolt n my eyes open, them defibrillators are some wild type shit

but i dont think my brain died, my heart just stopped n i went unconscious from no blood to my brain, so i guess my experience doesnt count

19. Possible that when we die, we get sucked back into the life maker, the testicles.

20. I actually used to think the exact same thing....I always thought I was crazy...