Theory on LEDs - Why they need CFLs to perform

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Syrious, Aug 21, 2009.

1. #101 Hydro-Grow-LED, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
    I felt the same way. And quite honestly, most LED lights on the market perform poorly, because all the MFR's have been concentrating on is the spectrum of their light (and some, as we've now pointed out, haven't even concentrated on that, but taken the ideas from others). A few of them have landed on great outputs in my opinion, and one of them is HIDHUT. But even if companies have a good spectral output, 99% of them still haven't truly addressed light intensity, or LED spacing, thoroughly enough to create a product that can compete with a HID. But see, when part of your research is analyzing the flaws in every other competitor's design before going to market, you start to notice SIMPLE ways to make LED's the replacement for HID, so long as you teach people to use them properly (ie: not telling them to place the light 18 - 24" from their canopy like I've heard of some companies).

2. Their site said the effective range was 4'-REALLY? -7x7 coverage-REALLY? Cheers to you and your research-I checked your site, and the prices are far more reasonable than I've seen elsewhere.And your passion speaks for itself.I gotta tell ya-if anybody's gonna do it -you will.Keep it up-and wish I'd stumbled across your site first.

3. and I just want the led guys to know that they're doing a great job-I'm not here to downplay anyones progress or success

4. Hopefully you'll pay attention to the grow tests coming up ;) We're taking on the ProSource 180W with our 126W on this site. After we get through this test, I'm confident that a lot more of you will start regain the hope you had when you first began testing LED's. The rest of you will see the real potential that LED's have, when they're engineered properly.

5. should happen in just a few more weeks. i just need to finish my current grow, then we let the test begain. i need to build a wall also so it will be fair and no light will come in contact with each other.

6. Dude, you're doing alot better than I did- musta used yer head and kept the damn thing closer.But I just gotta have my hps grows.I was gonna use the ufo as a prop in our haunted house this Halloween.The kids walk in the garage-the jumbo pops on, and I jump out with an alien costume.A few times of that'll be worth 750 bucks.

7. poor kids wouldnt be able to see.lol. they would see green dots their whole life. how many watts u using in hps? i hear u bro hps always gets the job done, ive used it for years.

8. Lol, back when I needed to build a quick wall, I used PVC, Panda Film and Duct tape :D

And Ballschmere - you're pretty damn funny! Someone else had the idea to use the LED with 3-D glasses on another thread. :smoke:

9. its no prob ill just throw up some plywood, or carboard, or pvc. and be done.

10. I can only go 250 at this junction in life-does the job and keeps me off the ave lookin fer 20's.Thats why I got into this-alas I wasnt aware that the instructions on the site were shit-600w?Uh-uhn-I vegged an afghani for 5 weeks, and 4 weeks into 12-12 I just knew it was gonna be bad-so in went the 250-3x3 tent scrog.Yield still sucked-I smoked the last of the bubble from it tonight.Back to square one.

11. LOL!! 3-D glasses, holy shit I spit out my coffee:D

12. If it wasnt too heavy for him-I'd give it to the little guy for his action figure wars-fuck the Millenium Falcon

13. i must be the only chosen one with leds? my shit is going to be good:D glade i went with the 12" high light. no offense bro or anyone els. but the 180w is working good for me so fare with these crazy temps i have. i feel special. lol..

14. witch ever light loses on my grow test is going on my x-mass tree this year. fuck the star on top. lol.

15. All the different color 3w LEDs i use have 160 degree projection, which isnt really just straight forward.

Hydro-Grow-LED, could you please comment on Collimeter Lens's, I don't use them, but i'd like to know what your opinion is on them. should i be focusing Light, or allowing it to Hit my plants uneffected by additional lens and Filters.

16. I dont take many pics but heres my salvation plant

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      105.6 KB
      Views:
  17. 5 weeks flowering

18. nice little sativa? kinda like mine but i am 6 weeks flowering

19. I've spoken to representatives from Cree, Luxeon, Osram, and others, about the use of 3W LED's. I told each company that I would be using the LED's for plant growth, and asked whether a 3W LED had more ability to carry light energy over long distances vs a 1W. The resounding response was "no". I then asked them of the efficacy of a 3W LED vs a 1W LED in terms of lumens per watt, as most would assume that the 3W would be 3X a 1W. This however, is not the case, as (3) 1W LED's have nearly twice the lumen output of most 3W LED's from the same company. The reason for this: more research dollars have been spent developing 1W High Power LED's, than any other wattage.

Since you are designing your own light, I would first recommend to lose the 3W LED's, and go back to using 3, 1W instead. You'll find that the light is brighter (and of course use the corresponding nm that plants use best) with a more even spread of 3W of light, as (3) 1W units occupy more space, than a single 3W.

Next, I have never heard of a Collimeter lens. If you could point me to some information regarding them, I could give an opinion. ;) I would recommend narrowing your viewing angle way down. If a Collimeter lens allows you to do that, then use it. I told my MFR my specs long ago, and they had some custom optics either made or shipped in, which are used on my lights only. I know different LED MFR's offer the availability of custom optics, so you might just ask whatever company you get your LED's from if they have them.

A 60 degree lens does a very good job at making sure that all available light energy travels down to your canopy. At 160 degrees, light is literally spread throughout your entire room, and most people don't grow a room full of plants, with just 1 light. You want to focus the energy of the 1W LED at your canopy, that way the only distance it has to travel from it's point of creation, is down to your leaves. The 60 degree penetrates well up to plants about 3' tall. Anything taller, and you want to step down even further to a 30 degree.

20. #120 RooRTokeage, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
    You got to be kidding me, seriously you do. I dont know who you think u are or who you think u want urself to be. Maybe if you got ur head out ur ass and read and payd attention to what I was saying then maybe you could yell and talk all the shit you want.

Now where did I say CFLS are the shit? WHere did I say Companies Recommend these lights for bloom? You think I give 2 shits how many years u have with LEDS??? IF you have sooooooo many yaers and know soooooo much about LEDS buddy, then YOUR GROW WOULD BE AMAZING!!! You wouldnt be here trying to get poeple to buy your product, or have to fight to protect your product.

If you look at how many people use MH or HPS compared to LEDS, you will wonder why and notice why. There is WAY MORE DATA, WAY MORE INFO...... So I dont know who you are kidding or why you are hear talking crazy amount of shit.

I am just here noticing stuff, and giving advice to what I have learned, Found out, Saw in my own exp, And learned from other EXp growers about the Glow panel. Also if you see WHY I use the Glow panel, you will understand the reason behind it. But you dont because ur head is soo far up ur ass you have too much shit in your eyes.

So please Hydro if you want to back your case up so bad, go give your ligjht to Rumple OR sum1 who has more exp than you and can prove to us HOW GOOD, your LEDS are compared to HPS and MH that has been out for centuries. One more thing who wants to spend 400 or better on LEDS??? When we have CFLS , HPS, and MH that are hella cheap?? LOL :p:p:p:p:p:smoke::smoke: