Theory on LEDs - Why they need CFLs to perform

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Syrious, Aug 21, 2009.

1. #81 Hydro-Grow-LED, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
    100 years of supposed PHD plant research, yet they still maintain orange aids in carotenoid function. Just to clear the air here and PROVE they are copy-cats, here is the DIRECTLY quoted, patented research from SolarOasis:

"By providing the orange 612 nm light, we not only promote creation of carotenoids,
    which are required for plant health, but also add a little to photosynthesis, since
    the carotenoids pass their absorbed energy to chlorophyll. Carotenoids are required
    for plant health due to their ability to absorb destructive free radicals, both
    from solar damage and from chlorophyll production, whose precursors will damage
    plant tissue in the absence of the carotenoids. During research we found that,
    beneficially, test plants turned a deeper green, i.e. produced more chlorophyll,
    with the addition of our 612 nm light component. This ability to increase a plant's
    chlorophyll content with this specific light wavelength is an important aspect
    of our invention."

If you don't believe I'm telling the truth, click here, and scroll to about 2/3 down the page: Efficient LED lamp for enhancing commercial and home plant growth - Patent 6921182

Here is a DIRECT quote from ProSource's webpage:

"By providing the SunBurst Orange light, we not only promote creation of carotenoids, which are required for plant health, but also add to photosynthesis, since the carotenoids pass their absorbed energy to chlorophyll. Carotenoids are required for plant health due to their ability to absorb destructive free radicals, both from solar damage and from chlorophyll production, whose precursors will damage plant tissue in the absence of the carotenoids. During research we found that test plants turned a deeper green, i.e. produced more chlorophyll, with the addition of our SunBurst Orange light component. This ability to increase a plant's chlorophyll content with this specific light wavelength is an important aspect that will enable the plant to achieve optimal vegetative growth ( your internodes will be much tighter & prevent stretching due to the plants ability to absorb the light it requires and thus doesn't stretch while looking for light that it craves ) this added ability will also increase flowering production."

WOW, they did an EXCELLENT JOB at copying SolarOasis, and claiming their research as their own! It was literally VERBATIM. Do you know how SolarOasis determined that orange was a good fit for their light? Read here:

"Our research showed better results using LEDs of 660 nm and 612 nm rather than
    the wavelengths of 620 nm and 680 nm. Beneficially, LEDs of 660 nm are also readily
    available in the market, and are very inexpensive."

"Our second 612 nm wavelength component was selected not to promote photosynthesis,
    but to match one of the peaks of the carotenoids"

Here's what SolarOasis had to say about their choice of red:

"660 nanometers (nm) is the wavelength that drives the engine of the photosynthetic
    process. The 680 nm wavelength is perhaps closer to the peak absorption wavelength
    of one of the two chlorophylls found in higher plants."

And then of course, came the plagiarized paragraph listed above.

It's funny how they didn't determine that by using 660, instead of 680, they were achieving the results of a healthier plant, even though they stated that 660 is the main drive engine for photosynthesis in their research. Instead, they attributed the healthier plant to carotenoids, even thought they absorb light nowhere near 612nm! It's no wonder SolarOasis has one of the poorest performing lights on the market. If you don't believe me, check out this grow test on greenpinelane.com: Untitled Page

So ProSource is taking advice on how to build their product, based on OUTDATED research, from one of the worst performing LED makers on the planet? The real researchers/developers like myself and HIDHut (you know the kind of companies who ACTUALLY test their own products?) determined long ago that orange does nothing, and we don't waste our time plagiarizing other people's work to claim that it does.

Did you know that ProSource's "Why Choose Us" page has been changed a bit in the last 2 weeks? It'll likely change more soon, as they seem to adjust things regularly to fit their "spin" tactics. Prior to the change, it never mentioned a word about a PHD. Yet only 3 weeks ago, this is what they said about their lights:

"Here's something I can divulge... we have two scientists that develop our products. Between the two of them, they have five pH. D. degrees and 60 years experience in electromagnetic emissions (like light). They have been working on our lights for close to two years now... 20 months, I think."

In the last 3 weeks, their light hasn't changed a bit, but their website does. So how is it that 3 weeks ago, they had 2 PHD's with 60 years experience, and now all of the sudden they tout 100 years of PHD level plant research, yet no PHD scientists? Again people, GIMMICKS like I said before. Just like how they PLAGIARIZED the research from SolarOasis. So do you really trust their word? Do they list their researchers? Of course not. Why would they allow you to verify whether or not there are any actual facts in all of their claims?

So now we're going to believe everything that our famous law-breaking, gimmick selling friends have to say? Seriously here, we are talking about the EXACT wavelengths that plants use, not a wide spectrum of light that we see. If it's brighter to our eyes, and it's the plant's peak absorption point, what, you think it's less bright for them? Seriously, 18lm vs 40lm of light wavelength that plants use the most efficiently, and you're telling me it's a gimmick to inform people that a CREE LED gives your plants more light than a CHINESE one? My point, THAT YOU FAILED to address, is why don't they give you an ALTERNATE way of measuring the output of their lights, instead of just bashing the people who give you a value in the first place? It's because they have crappy science, and they're trying to get you all to go along with it. They've done an EXCELLENT job thus far it seems, convincing you that LED manufacturers have it wrong, and that they need not supply you with a valid light reading for their product, that is supplied to them by their manufacturer.

When companies fail to inform you on the design and specifications of their product, they're trying to hide the fact that they're no different from anyone else. By withholding that information from you, it gives them the ability to do just that, and make you believe, somehow, that they are the know-it-alls because their product is priced so insanely high.

Even though we've proven ProSource is a copy-cat, and plagiarizes other companies research, while claiming their testing as their own, they still issue this warning gimmick to you guys:

"Lastly, many knockoff imitators manufacture lamps that may look like ours, or might actually differ in case color, shape, or style. These sellers claim to be just as good or better, but they rely on cheap gimmicks in order to try to stand out from the rest."

It's funny how they tell you to watch out for them... The reason I "hammer down" on ProSource, is because no one else has/does. These guys claim to be the leaders, yet they plagiarize the research they post on their page. They fail to inform you the consumer of anything about their products, and ask you to trust their backwards science, when buying their grow lights. THE PUBLIC has a right to know about companies such as ProSource, who are nothing other than a fake, with a TON of advertising dollars. I still can't believe that I'm the only one who has found them to be complete BS. So if you want to hate me because I try to help inform the public about what nearly everyone other company is hiding from them, go ahead, but others love me for it. I don't dislike all competitor's, just one's like these guys. I give credit where credit's due, and SHADY companies don't deserve it, even if their copy-cat lights don't work half bad.

2. Hydro-Grow you should really practice what you preach, on your website it says you're "The World Leader in Advanced LED Grow Light Technology and Design", that's a pretty bold statement to make when only a month ago, nobody has ever heard of you, nor have we seen just 1 of your grows using your "world famous design" .. I think we're all pretty sick of the B.S. and the only thing that matters is can your lights grow good dank or not.. We have a saying in our family: "Bring it don't Sing it"..so far all I hear you doing is alot of singing.

3. Why you shouldnt use Low Volt LEDS

Take a look at that people, I agree with this 100 percent since I do have and are using a LEDS.

I dont know much about LEDS, but I just went to your site, Hydro grow, and I see you keep your LEDS Inches away from the Plants. If you do know, the LEDS need enough hieght for the red and the Blue to mix. So Right there you already made 1 mistake by keeping the LEDS so close.

And the Comparrioson that you use and make your statement is terrible. Why would any Marijuana grower go by that? I wouldnt I will tell you that. And most of us Growers use soil. Maybe you can get a Soil grow going? Or send out a unit to one who uses soil,. and could give you good results.:wave::wave:

4. THATS NOT TRUE!!!!!!

many many growers have found all LEDs to be B.S...not just those from ProSource

5. all i am going to say is; this he say/she say bs. is going to stop. i am/will find out who has the best lights out of the two. i cant wait untill i do this test, because i for one want to know who is telling the truth and who is talking bs. we the puplic need to know these things and need to know where to buy are leds from. what better way then to do this side x side test with their lights. it should happen in a few weeks once i harvest this crop.
    i already have a jumbo 180w and i now have a hydro led 126w on its way. every thing will be 100% the same. both companys were more then willing to do this test. i will not use any mylar and keep it 100% OG growing. i dont want any mylar to help eathier of the lights. i will get the same clones and i will pick the veg higth to switch 12/12. witch ever lights veggs better and hits my higth that i say first starts the 12/12 light hour. i cant flower them sepert because they will be in the same room, and the llight from the vegging plant will mess up the flowering plant, and i will not cover one up with sheets or tarps because then it makes it not the same growing conditions. so best veg light leeds the 12/12 light period. they will be growen in the same room with a wood wall between them making sure the dont cross light with each other. each light will have 3 plants each in 5 gal pots. i will pick how i grow my plants! well because they are my plants:D the led companys will only be able to pick how high i move their lights from the plants, thats it!! all the rest is up to me.

6. #86 Hydro-Grow-LED, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
    Anyone who recommends to you, to use a 120 degre LED grow light at 18 - 24 inches above your plants, is an idiot. It'd be like me telling you to bloom with your CFL 4' above your plants, or raising your HPS 8' above your plants. No offense, but LED's don't have the ability to carry light energy over long distances, and people using a 120degree are using a light that is roughly half as bright as mine. My lights produce a homogenous blend at no more than 6" from the light, so the whole 18-24" thing is total BS. Keeping your light that far from your plants REDUCES intensity, and the ability of the light to PENETRATE your leaves. It doesn't take a genius to figure these basic concepts out. If you look at my pictures, do you see anywhere that the light isn't blending? That it isn't all one solid hue?

AND FOR THE RECORD - I contacted LEDGROWMASTER, who is the major distributor for SolarOasis here in the US, and now ProSource's website has been changed again. They have removed the plagiarized information from their site. A real leader, calls bullshit companies out on their crap. I also back myself up with proof each time, which is something they fail to do on everything.

Here's what their rep had to say:

"Thank you for the tip. I am amazed at how many of the new companies just cut and paste from our websites/literature. This particular company has already been served a cease and desist order. It is just a matter of time with many of the LED grow lights that are on the market as the patents are actively defended. I hate fakers too. Not only are the people at SolarOasis great people- but they have put a decade of work into the technology and they deserve credit for their breakthroughs.

Sincerely,

Angela Lundmark
    Toll Free 1-866-414-7244
    www.led-grow-master.com"

My god, they already had to serve a cease and desist order against ProSource, and yet they are still caught plagiarizing? But it's cool, keep standing up for them ;) After all, they never supplied you with any research, specifications, or proof on their grow lights, yet you seem to still believe they are great! I guess I should have gone about plagiarizing and copying everyone else's design so that you'd see me as a leader too... instead of completely redesigning the way in which LED grow lights are used/made.

7. sure sounds like some1 is trying to sell some thing that doesnt work as well as hids

8. Take a flashlight, and hold it against the a wall 2"s from it. How big is the radius of light???
    Now take the flashlight and pull it back. How big is the radius now???

My point proven!!! And it takes a few inches for the Blue and Red Light to blend Like we say. I dont know what you are talking about, But why dont you go take a look at the posting I put why you should not use anything lower than a 300 watt LED. :smoke::devious::smoke:

9. This is excellent news, as my 126W has no problem beating a 400W MH. In fact, it's making the MH look like 100 year old lighting tech. The growth under our LED is over twice what we are getting under MH... So, when the test against their 180 and our 126 comes out, I'm confident we'll be taking home the victory, as we ACTUALLY spent the last 2 years developing these lights, using marijuana as our test plant. We created our own tech from the ground up, unlike every other grow light out there.

10. #91 Hydro-Grow-LED, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
    Umm, no offense, but your argument was quite ridiculous. Do you really think a plant needs blue to mix with red in order to absorb it? Cause they don't. If that was the case, then why are so many companies selling solid blue or solid red lamps? I'm glad you pointed out that it "TAKES A FEW INCHES" to blend, as we tell people to keep their light within 6-12" of their canopy. Shoot, our LED's are only about 1/4" away from each other, and a few = 3, so it's pretty easy to distinguish that we blend very well at 6", just based on your argument (but then again, just looking at our pictures will tell you that).

The point you failed to make, even though you pointed it out, is that the farther you move your light from the wall, the more area it has to spread itself over. As you back your flashlight away from the wall, with each inch your light is less and less intense, even though it's covering a larger and larger area. Without intensity, we can't penetrate your canopy. If you're using a flashlight with a narrow angle, the intensity fades way slower than a flashlight on a wide angle. We use 60 degree narrow angle, they use 120 degree wide angle. So with their less intense light, you're still under the assumption, that the best way to utilize it, is by placing it as far from your canopy as possible? Your thought process is quite backwards my friend... Without light intensity you'll never be able to penetrate your canopy. But hey, anyone who's actually grown with LED's and has an education, should be able to figure that out.

11. #92 Hydro-Grow-LED, Aug 26, 2009
    Man, you keep making it sound more and more like beating ProSource is going to be way easier than I had originally planned. As I've maintained before, maybe the reason these LED companies only tell you that their product can beat a 400W HPS, instead of actually showing you, is because they fall short of their claims. I know 100% that my 126W beats a 400W MH, and that's all I ever claimed it equivalent to. But then again, I also show it via a grow test on my site...

Good luck with the 600W comparison, but shouldn't it be 1, 180W against a 600HPS, since ProSource claims their 180W to be equal? If it were me, I would disprove the claim first, see how much it falls short, and then determine the equivalency based on those results.

12. Do you see the Sig? I am growing with LEDS and I am testing them out. If you have not read my last few post I have been trying to tell you this. LOL people just dont want to listen at times.

I didnt fail to make any point actually, because you just said yourself you tell peeps to keep the light 6-12" inches away from the plant. That is a far distance to US Growers. We want the Lights as close as we can. And some of us CFL guys can get the Lights within 2"s from the plant, and it is getting ALL the light it needs.

Now with LEDS.... Yes they do need to blend in order for the plant to grow.. TO ME that is. Because I have seen this, tested this, and watched it. LED lights shoot straight up and down. Not out left or right. SOOOOo if you have a panel or Ufo, you will want the color to blend for better quality.

I dont know what tests or what you have been doing, but I went to your site, and it is quite not to shabby and the tests you run are with what kind of plant? Try it with an MJ plant. Not some Herb.

I just say we need more on this and hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will do the job. I just got my panel cuz it saved space and I herd a few good things with LEDS. I have a few complaints, and have seen CFLS out perform the Glow Panel.

Also did you take a look at the posting about whty you shoudlnt use LEDS if under 100 watts??? If not go take a look and let me know what you tihnk.:smoke::smoke:

13. lol-and the beat goes on

14. Bought the 180- jumbo(knew it was apiece of shit-1 1/2 months in-the plants looked tired, struggling.I knew what was coming.So, back to 250w hps.I've got some hps grow pics-no jumbo ufo disaster pics tho.Prosource sucks balls.Like Hydro-Gro said they copy all their bogus specs from the catalogs-check Alibaba.com-if they're not sffiliated go getem Prosource.And whats with that Michael dude?I've been reading these led threads for a day or 2 now, and the one thing I notice is-wheres his fucking grows with the garbage he touts.I checked that fucking laughable site of his-a few times-a buncha stretched ass plants under a ufo.PROJECT-ABORT.Now he's like Dear Abby on the fucking site.I had high hopes for this shit-now I'm back to what works.Nothing against leds-I waited until something that looked like it might work come along-but hey, I learned.And whats with sending out a 350?I thought the 180 was the T-Model Ford of the growlight industry-more like the Edsel:DBottom line-respect for the led experimenters.And Prosource can blow me for being the pieces of shit that they are.We gotta stop endorsing Chinese slave labor people-Jesus Christ what an evil empire

15. trying to grow a decent crop with leds is like trying to take a shit on a no fiber diet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. correction-with prosource that is-no offence Hydro-I havent used your stuff so I cant say dick.But prosource is one shady outfit, and people gotta know

17. #98 Hydro-Grow-LED, Aug 26, 2009
    Wow, congrats. You're like OOOh so many other people on this forum doing the same thing. I, on the other hand, have been researching and developing LED technology for the last 2 years, specifically with marijuana. So congrats for testing a grow light, but I'm a person who engineers them.

60 Degree LED is a far more intense form of light to plants than a CFL, but of course you didn't know that... They also don't need a bulb replacement every 6 months to keep your plants growing well. I recommend 6 - 12", as it gives the light a larger coverage area, but not a big one. The LED's in our light engines, are spaced so close together, that all they need is but 3" to completely blend. So I really don't care about your CFL, no professional endorses the use of them for bloom. Growers like Rumple or I, can produce 1oz colas when using HID, so you're not even in the same league... So until you beat a MH with your CFL, please leave your weak argument at the door.

Ya, I'm sure ya have... I'm sure you've done oh so much more grow testing and experimenting using different wavelengths of LED's at different proportions with different intensities compared to someone like me. What a JOKE. If you're going to POST a "fact" BACK IT UP. Where's your source? LED light travels in a straight line, duh, so does light from every other bulb. With LED's, you can DIRECT this light with the use of special optics, to produce narrow or wide beams. At 120 degrees, LED's emit light in nearly all directions from the chip... at 60 degrees, they emit light primarily downward.

Cut the shit, do you go into a Hydro store and ask them where all their pictures of growing weed are at? Do you think it's legal for me to post grow data on my world-wide website, using my lights and marijuana, and then sell lights on top of it? HELL NO. This is the same reason when you talk about MJ in a hydro store, they warn you or tell you to leave. So, FOR MY WEBSITE, I grow lettuce, tomatoes, or whatever fruit/vegetable people want me to grow. If you want to check out my other threads, you'll see plenty of BUD pics grown under my lights. Except for the BS website grows, all I've ever tested my lights on, is WEED. That's why my bloom pics look so damn good.

Dude, are you serious? A GLOW PANEL? My god this forum must be a joke to you. Anyone who isn't using 1W High Power LED's, doesn't have a capable grow light. Secondly, if they don't have the proper wavelengths or intensities, they won't produce. It doesn't matter WHAT wattage you're running, under 100 or not. As long as you have everything dialed in perfectly, you'll get great results every time. But obviously, the amount of light you needs, varies depending on your coverage area.

Some Advice: I'd take a break from making arguments... At least until you're able to post any real, comparable data to back up any of your mumbling. You have nowhere near the amount of experience using LED's to grow marijuana as I do.

18. looks to me like this is nothing special-Alibaba has been reponsible for some crappy led gear I hear tell.Alibaba?Prosource didnt mention these things were made by genies-maybe I shoulda rubbed mine