Theory of Heaven/Hell

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by PhoenixPharmer, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Okay, now you could TOTALLY understand this, or not.

But its a thought.

Growing up we hear that how we live life will determine our acceptance to "heaven".

Upon death, Dozens of chemicals are induced into the brain...and some upon NEAR death...
    Some people claim to see, "their life flash before their eyes.."

My theory is, that in its self could be the heven or hell.

Those chemicals that are released are known to cause time to seem to slow dramatically.

Imagine, before your death, if all you saw was a slide show of your happiest memories and the great things you've done in life.
    Pure Ecstacy. Heavenly.

Now pretend you had to imagine all the things you've done that you wish you hadn't. People you've F'd over, mistakes made. ALL OF EM, brought back to life again. And you're forced to re-live them.
    Hell.

Just something I've concidered. A combination of science, spirituallity, and logic.

-TJ

What do you think?

2. Or what if this happened in the 6-12 minutes that your brain functions after you die. Timothy Leary always looked forward to that moment.

3. Yeah, that concept has been around. But I would instead say that the life you live is either heaven or hell depending on how you live it.

4. I've thought about this before as well. I strongly believe that entheogens played an extremely important role in religion, but I feel that near death experiences and lucid dreams did there share of the influence as well.

5. Dude I never even thought about that. +rep I think that's a very good theory, but how would people have discovered this all those years ago when the original ideas were established?

6. The Gates of Paradise

A soldier named Nobushige came to Hakuin, and asked: "Is there really a paradise and a hell?"

"Who are you?" inquired Hakuin.

"I am a samurai," the warrior replied.

"You, a soldier!" exclaimed Hakuin. "What kind of ruler would have you as his guard? Your face looks like that of a beggar."

Nobushige became so angry that he began to draw his sword, but Hakuin continued: "So you have a sword! Your weapon is probably much too dull to cut off my head."

As Nobushige drew his sword Hakuin remarked: "Here open the gates of hell!"

At these words the samurai, perceiving the master's discipline, sheathed his sword and bowed.

"Here open the gates of paradise," said Hakuin.

--

I'll probably post this just about everytime someone asks about heaven and hell. It should be common sense one day.

7. so .Vicious. you're saying with that parable that Heaven and Hell is based on your actions, be they reward-full versus shameful/macabre? This is what I understand...?

8. It's open to interpretation, but the way I see it is that we create our own heaven/hell through our existence within this life. It's all up to you what you do right now, rather than focus on what "could" happen after we die.