Theory: Marijuana prevents cancer.

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by SuppaMan, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Alright blades, just smoked a fat bowl pack from my Sherlock and had an idea. Me and my brother got talking about the curing powers of RSO and marijuana, and he told me an interesting story of how a cop got cancer, was near death, started smoking, and was cancer free after a few months. After hearing this I kinda thought to myself, damn.. If I ever get cancer etc I'm definitely making RSO, and then boom! It hit me, maybe i won't even ever get cancer because i smoke weed and no tobacco (except the occasional weekend blunt or 2 with my friends). Marijuana is used for the shrinkage of tumor and cancer cells, but what if it also prevents tumors and cancer cells from forming in the first place? Marijuana directly attacks the tumor cells, but doesn't transform their counterpart cells meaning the good cells aren't destroyed(i think).

"Subsequent peer-reviewed studies in several countries would show that THC and other marijuana-derived compounds, known as “cannabinoids,” are effective not only for cancer-symptom management (nausea, pain, loss of appetite, fatigue), they also confer a direct antitumoral effect."
    ^Found this online.. I have a strong belief marijuana can prevent cancer cells from happening in the first place.
    Any thoughts/information my fellow blades care to share?
    Happy tokin y'all :smoking:

2. marijuana smoke contains carbon minoxide. carbon minoxide causes cancer. so yeah it could cure cancer but cause it as well.

3. while i believe it does have preventative powers to certain types of cancer, i wouldnt go walking around as if you are cancer proof because you smoke cannabis...

My aunt smokes a good bit of weed, and has had plenty of issues with skin cancer, my friends mother passed at the beginning of this month from lymphatic leukemia and she was also an avid participant in the uses of ALL forms of cannabis, mainly vaporizing and edibles though so she wasnt even smoking it.

4. No, it doesn't, it increases your risk. lol Cars produce carbon monoxide too. Being around them while they're running doesn't give you cancer, it increases your risk for it.

5. and you are much more likely to die of CO poisoning than die from cancer from CO (with the cars i mean, not cannabis)

seeing as zero cases of cancer caused by smoking weed alone exist one can factor out that the CO present in cannabis smoke is completely insignificant.

But weed doesnt have to cause cancer, every god damn other thing around you does. If weed could prevent most forms of cancer, and humans have been using cannabis widely for.... ever pretty much lol, then one would think cancer would be much less widespread, but its quite the opposite... the rate that "the chance you may get cancer" rises is frightening, soon it will be like diabetes and they can guarantee 1 in 3 will get cancer before they die... its ridiculous

6. #6 Storm Crow, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
    Biology lesson from Granny! :D

For cannabis to fight cancer, you need WORKING CB receptors! If the receptors are broken, it allows certain cancers to "run wild"! (These guys call them "turned off". I call them broken! BFD! :cool:)

[FONT=&quot]Turned-Off Cannabinoid Receptor Turns On Colorectal Tumor Growth (news - 2008)
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Turned-off Cannabinoid Receptor Turns On Colorectal Tumor Growth[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

So what "breaks" a CB receptor? :confused_2:

These dudes were just looking at the brain effects, but it works the same in your body. And you've already have seen what "turning off" receptors can do in the colon- in the brain it can make you nuts! (and it may set off brain cancer, too?) :( (you guys can skip the bold parts, just read the italics! :hello: )

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endoca... [Nat Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

The corollaries of the obesity epidemic that plagues developed societies are malnutrition and resulting biochemical imbalances. Low levels of essential n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFAs) have been linked to neuropsychiatric diseases, but the underlying synaptic alterations are mostly unknown. We found that lifelong n-3 PUFAs dietary insufficiency specifically ablates long-term synaptic depression mediated by endocannabinoids in the prelimbic prefrontal cortex and accumbens. In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins. Finally, the dietary-induced reduction of CB(1)R functions in mood-controlling structures was associated with impaired emotional behavior. These findings identify a plausible synaptic substrate for the behavioral alterations caused by the n-3 PUFAs deficiency that is often observed in western diets.

Granny’s translation -

"The US diet sucks big time! We are fat, undernourished and crazy because of it. We get WAY too much Omega 6, and not enough Omega 3. Not getting enough Omega 3 can make you a bit crazy because without it, the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in your brain have a piece left flopping free! Broken CB1 receptors were associated with "impaired emotional behavior". The low Omega 3 diet is making the US sick and crazy!"

Now the fact is, the average American diet SUCKS, BIG TIME! :p Besides being overloaded with sugar, fat, preservatives and artificial ingredients, it lacks Omega 3 (and a lot more, but this would be WAY too long if I get on that! :cool:).

[FONT=&quot]O-6 to O-3 ratio[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Omega-6+to+Omega-3+Ratio+-+Discover+the+Shocking+Reality+That+Ruins...-a01073970178[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

So what happened to the Omega 3? :confused:

We, as a nation, used to eat fish every Friday. Fish is a good source of Omega 3.

100 years ago, all beef was grass-fed, and grass has a trace of Omega 3 that the cattle concentrate. Modern feed-lot beef is fed mostly corn (as is pork, chicken, and farmed salmon). Corn has almost no Omega 3.

Walnuts used to be bought cheaply by the burlap bag-ful for winter consumption. (I can remember one in my grandparent's basement) Now, walnuts are more expensive than steak! :eek: Walnuts are a source of Omega 3.

Even if we eat exactly what our great-grandparent ate, it is not chemically the same! :eek: The lack of Omega 3 will affect our CB receptors, and that can impact our health!

As a final note- Remember that study I translated for you? What is likely more interesting to most of you, is that the area that controls depression, also controls getting high! :eek:

Now if taking Omega 3 improves the functioning of that bit of brain so it works better, don't you think it is logical to assume that taking Omega 3 may also improve your ability to get high? More working receptors = more places for THC to attach! :smoking:

I take about 2 grams of Omega 3 every day to keep my CB receptors in my Endocannabinoid System healthy as possible! :D

OK, I think that enough for today! Class dismissed! Smoke 'em, if you got 'em! :smoke:

Granny :wave:

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

7. Granny dropped so much knowledge the thread halted to process it

Omega 3 is just all around bomb, you can forget "foggy brain" from coming down. So nice lol

8. Well, technically we could say that nothing gives you cancer. What carcinogenic things do is increase the rate of genetic mutation that occurs when your cells replicate. Accumulation of the right combination of defective mutations = cancer.

That process of mutation is, however, always still essentially random. There are of course certain things that increase the mutation rate to such an extent that it's almost impossible to survive cancer-free after being exposed to them, but you always still technically have a chance, however infinitesimally slim it may be.

9. Very true, but it also doesn't cause cancer in the conventional sense of the phrase either. It's not even a carcinogen from what I can find, it only increases your risk in the sense that it weakens your immune system.

10. I always love Granny's posts! Getting on the computer now so I can like it and save the info!

11. may i recommend Source Naturals Arctic Pure Omega-3 fish oil caps, EPA=687mg and DHA=275mg per 1125mg gel cap.

the EPA and DHA are the important numbers to look for in good fish oil.

12. You guys are awesome, special S/O to granny and her infinite knowledge! I'm actually makin it a point to buy omega-3 today..
    So I guess my theory was wrong? And weed doesn't prevent it only cures it?

13. Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to imply that it was at all. I was jus' sayin'. :smoking:

14. Just depends on how you are looking at it, hon! Since CBD can get ID-1 cancer cells to revert to normal, it would seem logical that a constant supply of CBD in your system would also prevent them from going "crazy" in the first place.

Also if a single cell goes rogue, and then it is "persuaded" by CBD to go back to normal, or by THC to die through the apoptosis or autophagy process, so the tumor never happens, is that a cure or a prevention? Ether way you look at it, the cancer does NOT become a monster in your body!

Omega 3 and cannabinoids work together to keep us more likely to be cancer-free! (Genetics and environmental facts also play a part in cancer, so no one is 100% safe.)

Granny

15. Thanks for the awesome information Granny your the best! So I guess my little high thought made a little sense!