Theory about Time

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by fighters2, Jul 18, 2005.

1. so i was thinking and i have thought time is just how we see things in our mind. if you wanna think of something that happend in the past even secondes ago you really cant, you are only living now. you might not say this now but before you know it you will be old and dieing because the TIME is going to come and when it does you cant really look back. this isnt really a theory , but i think in a way time is instant and we are just perceiveing time the way we do. we are living in one part of the small part of time which is really flying by because after all the TIME is going to come. really think about it

go here, it looks like there is a page that has what im getting at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/pda/A3577241?s_id=1

2. Dude... I must have read that 5 times.... and I still don't know what the fuck you are talkin' about! LoL, remember, you are typing on a board full of stoners... you have to make it really, really, *REALLY* clear, man. =P

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. come on you can do it. i changed it up a bit maby it will make more. just think about time is just an illusion.

4. i found some science shit on this to...

They believe that the passage of time is just an illusion.

Hartle thinks that time's arrow is a product of the way we process information. Gell-Mann gave creatures that process time in this way the name 'information gathering and utilising systems' (IGUSs). Humans are IGUSs. Because of our two-dimensional retinae, we can't take in multiple cross-sections of the 'cuboid' - ie 'frames' of time - simultaneously. We gather information about this frame - our surrounding environment - using our senses, and then we store the information in an input register. This does not have an unlimited capacity, so we have to transfer the information to our memory registers before we can input the information about the next frame. Humans have a short-term and a long-term memory, as well as our cerebellums that store 'unforgettable' information (such as how to swim).

5. shit, this is some heavy stuff. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/pda/A3577241?s_id=1
    the one about going back in time is pretty crazy. maby we will relive our lifes when the turning point in the univerise comes, we would be reborn from death and get younger and younger. id think we would have our free will or what we know it as now back so we could have two lives bassically, one now and one when ever that turning point gets back around to our time era.

6. I'm tryin real hard to get it guy...

I'm confused....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. read that link its easyer to get

8. well i like your point about how time might be instantaneous but we just experience it in a different way...

but the part about going back in time seems very far fetched..

9. read that link and the chapter about the going back in time, it seems like a possiablity to me.

10. time......the system of time is constructed by man.........but time itself, which divides today from tomorrow, runs across us like a blanket............time is always coming towards us............

or some shit like that............

but yeah, time travels possible, u guys ever know that????

just think if u could move as fast as light...........faster than light.........u might break thru the barrier that divides us from different dimensions.............. :smoke:

11. Unless you really have acute stml, you should be able to do that. You CAN think about things in the past.

Of course we live in a tiny fragment of time. Time is probably infinite, so the 50-100 years you spend alive are pretty much nothing comparet to time as a whole.

I'm with the others here...I have no idea what you're trying to say???

That time is relative? Duh
    That everyone experiences time individually? Duh (look at old people...time 'moves slower' for them)
    That you can move in time? Well WCS already said it...
    That you can't think back? Bollocks.

Want me to give you an equation about time to mathematically prove you actually don't exist? I can do that :D

12. yes, im utterly confused

13. i really dont believe it is possible to travel back in time as i think time is really more of a concept, but it is fully possible to travel into the future... moving at extremely high speeds will actually slow down time for you, if someone went the speed of light for like 10 years they would only age a few days or something like that, the only problem is no one can go the speed of light now, but i do think it is possible

14. I think all you psychonaughts need to read the theory of relativity and get back to us. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1

15. I'm gonna have to take you up on your offer,

16. I second that prove I dont exist.

17. Aight :D remember, this is math and has little to do with reality:

Take a time line. It starts somewhere infinitely in the past and stops somewhere infinitely in the future. I.e. it doesn't stop. That's not the point. Now we zoom in big time. When you say reality is what happens now, this point of time is very small. Now take an example. Say the word 'now'. By the time you've said w, n is already in the past. That means we have narrowed down reality from 'now' to 'n'. By the time you've pronounced the end of 'n', the start is already in the past.

Now say in time units 'now' is 3. 'n' is 1. But since by the end of 'n', the start is already in ethe past, you have to narrow reality down even more. E.g. 0.1. But by the end you've reached from 0 to 0.1, everything from 0 to 0.09 is already in the past. You'll have to repeat this over and over again. Thus you'll go from 3 to 1 to 0.1 to 0.001. See where I'm going?

This is where you end up:

0.periode01

And in math 0.periode01=0. I.e. reality=0 time units. You don't exist.

Edit: Didn't get the 'periode' sign correct...

18. i dont know if i buy that

19. Hahahaha.. So you're saying in present time, I mathmatically don't exist. I think your formula needs a little tweaking but I got the gist of it.

If reality is extending infinitely into the past and the future, then present time is neither going nor coming. If present time isn't moving forward then it doesn't exist. But this theory is only relative to the fact time is infinite.

Mr.skinner and I will bend your brain like no other..

20. i dont think that time will be infinite but we dont have prove for either one, i think the univerise is like an explosion and all explosions have to return where it started