Theoretically...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by CanadianOrganic, Jul 2, 2014.

1. So I've read that for flowering you can use a multi-day timer running it say 30/12 and you're plants will grow 30% larger because of the increased ratio of day/night. Was just wondering what the more experienced growers views were on theoretically running say, 50/12 or for discussions sake 75/12 100/12?
    Not planning on using this method, just really curious.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Not sure where you ever heard of that. Doesn't sound right at all to me. If your in flower, your plant wants 12 hours on/12 off. Veg stage is 18-24 hours on, so leaving the lights on for 30 hours at a time will stress the plant and cause it to think its going back into veg.

I'm wondering where you found this information because it doesn't sound correct at all.

3. #3 CanadianOrganic, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
    I actually believe I read it on here and where does it say they can only use 12 hours of light? they just need periods of 12 hour darkness to maintain flower, right? So what does extra light do that's stopping flower?

Nevermind just realized its in the grow book I have at home. Ill take a pic when Im back :)

4. #4 CanadianOrganic, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
    Found it.
    'Professor Lees Introduction To Growing Grade A Bud'

'As long as plants continue to receive steady 12 hour periods of darkness that will produce floral growth, regardless of the length of their 'fake days'.'
    'It is estimated that 24/12 cycle will cut three weeks or more off, while 18/12 cycle will knock about two weeks off.'

Attached Files:

5. Interesting...

is it possible this could cause the plant to produce "insomnia bud?" (since you're giving it one "sleep" cycle, but making it stay "awake" for a really long time?

And, wouldn't this substantially increase the need for water/nutrients?

6. Oh of course it'd need nutrients like crazy, can't grow faster with the same amount of food :)
    And yeah who knows, I would definitely like to try this someday.

7. If its an auto flower.. maybe.. photo.. probably not. 

Theres a lot of pathways the turn on and off in the presence of light... gotta let it do its thing. If you can reproduce to rooms with the same equip and genetics then test it. Otherwise its just a gamble.