The World Behind the Curtains of Dance

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Chinajewelry, May 1, 2013.

1. I don't know if any of you are dancers, but I'm a ballet dancer, and have been serious about it for four years now. One of the first school I went to competed and I got on a drill team. And then there was the highest team, "The Sensations" which I still kind of idealize :rolleyes: and I wanted to get on it so bad! Not getting on it was becoming more and more of a harsh reality, and for the most part, it didn't have to do with my skills.
    I guess I just didn't suck up to them like everyone else must. They looked down on everyone below them, and thought they were the world. Plus they had all been at the same school their whole lives, and I had just started with them. They all hated me. I never knew why. Maybe they were jealous ;) ...
    Anyways, it became such a bad thing, that every time I walked in to that stupid ass school, my self confidence went from a 9 to a 3. It was ridiculous. :mad:
    So I left about 5 months ago. I transferred to an all-ballet repertory. I liked their curriculum much better; I take 4X more practice than I got at the other one, and at first everyone seemed very welcoming. But after a few months, it became apparent that they weren't interested in being anything more than an acquaintance and trading pleasantries.
    I worked so damn hard to make friends there! I even offered this stupid girl to drive her home 30 minutes away in the wrong direction.Wow. Needless to say, I'm over trying to make friends. I've been pretty lonely, so I wasn't being picky. But when I learned who they really were, I honestly do not like any of them! Except for the really young kids (13/14) who I noticed are extremely caring and thoughtful. Very wise for their age! But being friends with them would be extremely inappropriate, even if they actually wanted to be friends with me, which they don't! :p
    I thought that this bitchy judging only went on in my old dance school. I was wrong! :eek: It seems that it is a universal dancer thing! The higher levels at this school don't seem to look down at others at least, they just don't acknowledge their existence at all. Not sure what is worse.
    I hope I don't act like them! But since I've never really been part of a group at dance, I doubt anything I did could come off like that.
    Wonder if this stuff goes on with other sports! I'm sure! :wave:

2. U just got to prove Ur better and ballet Ur ass off! And yes, all sports have those people who think they are "all that" it's human nature to want to be that all star right!

3. True! I've never been a competitive person though, except with myself, so I rarely try to be better than others just so that I can be better than them. I don't like people like that..! :( Anyways, yeah. That's what my theory used to be. Just prove to them I was as good if not better! I just don't give a shit what they think anymore! It'd be nice if I could find someone who wasn't just another example of how bad the society is, if for no other reason than to prove myself there are those people out there! :eek:

4. My girlfriend rides horses and I can say that the community surrounding that is similar. Many of the girls come off as rich, snobby, and stuck up. Some of them might actually be nice people.. that's just what they seem like.

Anyways, just do your thing and don't worry too much about others. Give your best effort in dancing and be a good person. If other people are going to be rude or judgmental, then just look past it. I'm sure you will eventually find a welcoming group of people to call your friends. Good luck!

5. Thank you :)! I am hoping that the day I find them is soon! And I am glad to hear dancing isn't the only one!

6. It sucks youve had such shitty experiences, theres soooo many more people out there youll meet though dont let these few hold you back.

A lot of time anger can allow you to push yourself to do more, so use it to your advantage.

From my experiences its hard to find good people anywhere in life, actual friends arent ever easy to come by.

7. Thank you for your sympathy! :) And I suppose that is true because last time I came to class really pissed off at them all, I did everything like, perfect. I definitely noticed!
    Yeah, that sucks about life! I have only two friends who I still talk to that I met in my young young days.. And sometimes I wonder about them too... People just suck and as similar as we can be, were all too different! So it's impossible to find someone who is going to be a perfect friend.. Which sucks!:mad: