The Wheel of Time series

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Agalloch, Jun 4, 2010.

1. I just finished the first book, The Eye of the World, and have now started reading The Great Hunt. It took awhile to get into the first book, but I am glad I stuck it out. I've not stayed up all night reading a book since the first time I read The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

Anyone else familiar with this series? Please no spoilers if so, I'm only on the second book lol.

[​IMG]

2. I made it to the 6th book, its a great series just got bored after a while.

3. My brother in law sent me a digital copy. Havent got into it yet but i will soon though it was like 3000 pages or smthn?

4. I'm almost finished with The Great Hunt and I'm still enjoying the series. I'll have to order the next box set after I read The Dragon Reborn.

Anyone else like this series? I recommend it for some stoner reading if you enjoy stuff like J.R.R. Tolkien would write.

5. How old is this series?

6. #6 Agalloch, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
    First book came out around 1990 I believe.

The final book is still being worked on I think. The author, Robert Jordan, died before he could finish the book so it's being completed by a devoted fan and fellow author.

EDIT: The final book was split into 3 volumes, the first of which has been released. The second book will be out this year and the third and final book of the series sometime next year.

7. Just started reading the third book. :smoking:

8. Was going to start another thread but found this one

These books are great so far, I have read through the 4th book. That was awhile ago (about a year) and I want to start up again.

I took a break from them after the 4th because I had a ton of school work to do and just didn't have time to immerse myself in the story the way I like to with books like these.

I just finished reading Lord of the Rings, wanted to read them as I never have before and I love fantasy books. What a great tale! Now I understand why it's held in such high regard.

So anyways, I'm kind of scared to get back into reading them at the 5th book. Feel like I have forgotten a lot and it's a pretty deep story line. Although from what I've heard it only gets deeper and deeper after the 5th and 6th books.

I see this thread is a couple months old, you still at it Agalloch?

9. I just finished the 11th book, I love this series! Parts of the later books can be kinda boring but if you just tough it out it is worth it. I actually listened to most of these books on audiobook and I highly recommend that, if you are into audiobooks. :smoke:

10. :devious:;)

11. Woo just finished the 6th book "Lord of Chaos" this morning and bought the 7th a couple hours ago. Can't wait to start it, the end of Lord of Chaos was truly epic. I was wide eyed and smiling through the last 30 pages.

Got a bunch of work to do tonight, but hopefully will be able to start it later tonight.

"Asha'man kill!" :metal::devious:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Really wish I had access to these books, I haven't been able to find any more after the third book. Wonder if I could find someone to send me an old copy or something through the mail lol.

13. I'm sort of in the midst of reading The Eye of the World right now. The pacing completely slacks off about midway through so I put it down.

Probably gonna pick it back up again.

14. Yeah some parts you just have to push through but it's totally worth it.

However, if you think the first book is slow, then your definitely going to have some issues with the later books.

15. I used to be into these books big time, but those massive slow spots finally got to me. The story was cool and I liked how jordan got so in depth into the series but sometimes I was just like gaaaaaahhhhhh!

I dont have the books right now(I'm at college home is a couple hours away) But I would be willing to get the books and sell them for like 5 bucks a book(plus paypal fee & shipping)

I think I had up to like book 8 or 9.
    PM me if interested

16. Its not really that I think its too slow, Im just balancing several books and I cant really give this series the time it deserves right now.

Def don't mind slow, I read "A Song of Ice and Fire", the entire series start to finish without stopping. My life just cant take another engrossing epic fantasy series right now.

17. any clue when the final one's out?

18. wow, this takes me BACK!!!! i read this first book while waiting for new books in The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

i liked this series and i always thought it a staple to anyone reading this sort of genre

however my personal fave will be Goodkind's series, although i never finished it :eek: and they ruined it by making a stupid series about it

[​IMG]

19. Thread resurrection

Just finished the 7th book The Crown of Swords a couple weeks ago, and now about 100 pages into book 8 The Path of Daggers

The story flow is definitly slowing down a little and many new Aes Sedai characters introduced that I get a little confused, but I'm definitly still feeling the excitement of reading this series that I got when I first started.

As you can probably tell from the date of my last post, I'm definitly slow at reading these haha. I get busy doing things and take breaks from reading, so it's really an on-off experience, but I have some free time this summer to hopefully finish up my current book 8 pretty soon.

20. [quote name='"McStonerpants"']I just finished the 11th book, I love this series! Parts of the later books can be kinda boring but if you just tough it out it is worth it. I actually listened to most of these books on audiobook and I highly recommend that, if you are into audiobooks. :smoke:[/quote]

Anyway to listen to the audiobook free?