The war on drugs has succeeded

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by MatchboxKing, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Music: Voodoo - Godsmack
    Mood: Miserable.

My dad found out I smoke pot today. And not only that I smoke it, but that I smoke it in my room. Everything he said to me revealed further his lack of knowledge on pot. He's convinced it's going to ruin my life; make me stupid and scatter-brained, like the rest of our family, who, incidentally, were also involved with cocaine and other drugs. He also thinks pot is going to lead to these other drugs.
    With this, I post the following opinion: The war on drugs has suceeded, because of my father's attitude toward pot. The propaganda campaigns run by both the Canadian and United States governments in the interests of keeping their own pockets lined with gold have left the majority of the population believing that marijuana is a killer. They have left young minds who have learned about and understood that curious psychoactive herb isolated and alienated from their families. When they have done nothing wrong.
    Ignorance, fear and propaganda are my enemies.
    And they have already won the war.

2. its so true + rep 4 u

3. I agree that the war on drugs has won 'battles' through propaganda, which have had an effect of creating profound ignorance in both of our parents. But look at the economic damage. Look at the damage to civil liberty. Look at the effect, indeed, of our drug laws on the collective happiness of families; certainly there the war on drugs has miserably lost. Right now there are hundreds of households around the room, at this very second, yelling, screaming, insulting, possibly being abusive towards each other because we have created a society that associates smoking a plant with the most vile, criminal behavior. This is a failure of massive proportions. It has exceeded the banality of evil. This is why we need to get drastic in order to legalize, you are saving lives, by giving people a free life, if you can just make a small sacrifice for the greater good. I'm begging everyone to please work on this through just one act of public civil disobedience, because it's not all high times for everyone. There are lots of victims out there.

4. That enormous rant wasn't really the point of my note at all, indeed it seems to me like you just used my writing as an excuse for you to make a pro-pot rant. Please, don't advertise when I'm trying to say something. It's rude.

5. damn, i thought he made a pretty good point:rolleyes:

6. Don't be as quitter. While I agree with what you say, things are changing. People are becoming more aware of the truth about pot, slowly but surely. I think as today's youth grow older, we will see the tides turning, and the prohibitionists see this too. Their attacks are becoming more asinine with every lie. It may take a while, but this war will be won by the mellow good guys.

7. Get some paper and ink for your printer then start printing out various reports and news articles, like the Schafer report, that show the negative has been grossly overstated. Then after you have a huge armful of documents defending your position take them set them down in front of him and say after your read this then give me a lecher on the subject.

8. Way to never give up!

[​IMG]

9. What are you rambling about?

It's not a war if you don't fight back, it's a surrender. Have you tried to talk to him as an adult and explain the benifits of marijuana?

I a positive that the vast majority of people would be pro-marijuana is they knew all the facts.

10. You made a thread about the war on drugs; he made a post about the war on drugs. If you don't wanna hear people's opinions on threads YOU started, get off the internet, dude.

11. I second this, although I did this with my mother and it was like a fuckin brick wall.

It's fucking weak how indoctrination of the highest extreme can nullify a mind from fact simply because the opposite is so unbelievable, whether it's true or false.

12. #12 13lunt, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
    No offense, but just because you're father, like some people I know, are stupid enough to believe the propaganda doesn't mean that the war is won and it doesn't make it news.

13. MatchboxKing: I grant credence to your unfortunate circumstances with your father. I can relate to you personally because I've lived through hell. I didn't mean to derail your thread, and I agree with you that the war on drugs has come at a terrible price at destroying cohesive families that would have otherwise been fine if our government didn't treat smokers like criminals and support propaganda to stupify our society. I'm sorry.

14. Look my man, I know you feel down because you got caught and your feeling the disappointment from your dad, but does that mean you can give up? I understand if you have lost all interest in green after that event, but if not, stay the course and better times will come. I noticed you are from Canada, don't forget how lax Canada's marijuana laws are compared to the US. Things could always be worse...

15. Just remember that no one has the right to stop you from doing something if that's something you want to do. You have the right to freedom over anything involved with your body. Fight anything that oppresses you, and remember, you have people supporting you.

16. +rep on the truth that's how my dad is and he used to burn in his 20s

17. To all: Firstly I apologize for the rudeness with which I treated the first response to this thread, by ArgoSG. It was wrong.
    Secondly, I would like to point out that I am not "giving up" in any respect. I am simply pointing out that the war on drugs was won, and not for us. It is won because pot is still illegal, and because vast amounts of people still don't know the truth about pot.
    This is not to say there isn't any possibility for remedying this. Even after being taken over, a defeated side can rise up once again. And I feel that's what we're doing; laying low until the baby-boomers die off, at which point we may rise again.
    Also, I may consider showing the research about pot to my dad. Not that I care; I'll be leaving this house in September.

I'm sorry for giving you all the impression that I am a quitter; I have come to my senses.

18. Well if he found out you smoke pot, and are his son that he was fine with minutes before, what is the difference now? Sounds like a scapegoating douche, not a dad.

19. First of all, he wasn't fine with me minutes before. My dad and I have a lot of problems. It's not that he doesn't love me, it's that he never saw me getting into "dangerous gateway drugs", as he puts it. He's old, and very traditional. He can't be blamed for not liking it.

20. All we can do is change one mind at a time. This the social networking age, which will help disperse information. Imagine, every 25 seconds a mind is taught about the truth of the green.
    Polls are debunking your logic that the majority is against pot, so I don't see the need of this pesimistic attitude.