The Volkswagen Roller Coaster

Discussion in 'General' started by Pot Geek, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Wooweee! I had quite a ride yesterday in my bus. It's offically winter, with snow, and ice, and all that stuff. I hit a slick spot on the road yesterday and narrowly avoided two ditches and a Ford Taurus. Whew... Here's an illustrative pic, followed by an illustrative paragraph.

[​IMG]

I had crossed the railroad tracks (just below the bottom most edge of the picture[i.e. not shown]) and dropped her into 4th gear to head out of town. I went by Rambo Rd. (the road on the right) and the entire distance between Rambo Rd. and the next crossroad was a solid freakin' sheet of ice! There are open fields (and ditches) on both sides of the road there, and the snow had been drifting across it all day so it was quite polished.

As I came upon these open fields, a sudden gust of wind blew me almost straight sideways (at pt. 1), leaving me in the wrong lane. I tried to correct (at pt. 2), but found my traction to be totally sucky. My front wheels suddenly grabbed and I went sailing back across to the other side, trying frantically to adjust my course. The tires grabbed again (at pt. 3) sending me back the other direction. At this point I topped a small hill and saw a Ford Taurus in the ditch just before the intersection ahead. I realized I really really needed to slow down before I hit the Ford! I ever so lightly tapped my brake pedal, which sent my back end flying around (at pt. 4) as my front left wheel locked completely. Now I was going down the road backwards in the wrong lane! The engine stalled, and the rear tires managed to grip enough to slow me to a complete stop (pt. 5). Whoa! What a ride. I then carefully restarted the engine, and put her in 1st and turned back around and headed to my destination.

Such skill. Such tactical mastery. Such damn good luck. :) I've never prayed so fast in my life. "Please God, not the ditch! Please God, not the ditch!" Which quickly changed to "Please God, not the FORD!!"

2. lol sound like fun its winter
    out hear in Wa a foot of snow and
    on top of that ice 5inchs of ice driving
    in a open parking lot and
    hiting the e-break
    would give a nice ride! ............................
    ..............................scrach that dont do that

3. Sounds like fun. Too bad I don't have an emergency brake. :)

4. hhahah, what an adventure :D

5. thats the problem with a rear wheel drive top heavy car aye man? lol

sounds scary, its the wind i dont like. darn things like a sail lol

6. im gonna have to buy a new set of tires cause my tread is gettin low...its gonna be a bad winter too in bleaksburg

7. not had to use it this year in the snow, but i have a front wheel drive, and they are far better than rear wheel, if you aint got a 4x4..........this one time i had to get my pal to the hospital quick, and i overtook a line of cars waiting behind this BMW trying to get up a snow covered hill..........i tink he's still trying....lol.........i just went straight past him at 20mph.........but i'd like to have a 4x4 just incase.........but i know how you feel, i've had the back end of my pld car, slide out on black ice, and just miss a few parked cars...........Peace out.........Sid

Grasscity Deals Near You