The Virus of Faith

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by dudedude4, May 25, 2011.

1. #1 dudedude4, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
    Let's try this again folks, please keep trolling or "joking sarcastic comments" that are identical to trolling - to a minimum. If you want to dispute the conclusions of these videos please do so using your noggin. At least let's try to get past the title this time.

This is a different documentary, specifically regarding the ways in which faith acts as an cognitive parasite by shutting down critical thought.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scarHc8RA0g]YouTube - ‪The Virus of Faith (1/5) - Richard Dawkins‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGOcKzhFmg8&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The Virus of Faith (2/5) - Richard Dawkins‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kDpBhskUNE&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The Virus of Faith (3/5) - Richard Dawkins‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqwusM_aGDk&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The Virus of Faith (4/5) - Richard Dawkins‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DVb8PHSnA&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The Virus of Faith (5/5) - Richard Dawkins‬‏[/ame]

2. Just the title of the thread made me smile, good job OP.

3. such a great documentary
    love rd

4. *opens his umbrella*

5. dawkins calls evolution a fact… I have to disagree
    evolution is inferred by anthropologists and scientist(and by myself)… however there is no empirical evidence that evolution occurred

6. These quotes are from the book titled How God Changes Your Brain by Andrew Newberg and Mark Robert Waldman. The book talks about research on the effects meditation, prayer, and other religious rituals have on the brains of believers and nonbelievers alike I recommend this book to you guys, should be great to read a book with differing views...

Sorry I haven't actually replied to the content of the video, I'll do it asap tomorow.
    Peace

7. #7 Kush Lord, May 25, 2011
    Having faith in God basically means to keep pushing forward, to not give up, to not lose hope, etc.

Just like anything, some people use their faith to accomplish good while some do wrong.

Dawkins may have genuine concern and may think hes doing the right thing but the truth is that he is pushing his own set of beliefs. Science cannot explain everything, it has its limits. Comparing science with religion is absurd, he constantly does it.

The core teachings of Christianity provide a lot of wisdom and lessons on morality that make sense to many of its believers. The bible is like a riddle, some people understand the message. The teachings are real and authentic, most people can agree that the world would be a better place if everyone was more Christ-like.

8. science cannot explain everything, but religion cannot explain anything. faith can be useful, but if one understands how to use faith to ones advantage, it can be faith in oneself instead of "hopeless last resort" faith in something greater. morality lessons are worthless when presented by a hypocrite (the god who drowned the world to death but says not to murder), and actually dangerous when presented as the ONLY morality. i haven't seen this particular doc yet (next on my to-do list) but i'm guessing it will probably agree with most of this.

9. pretty reasonable i suppose. i agree with most of what he has to say though i suppose i just don't come across actively religious folk often enough to give the subject much attention.

still, live and let live. it doesn't matter what people believe so long as they aren't harming anyone.

10. Religion can provide a ton of wisdom that makes sense and helps someone become a better person. Its not for the hopeless and weak like you assume.

God may allow tragedies to happen to teach mankind a lesson, to mold us into what he wants us to be. Thats what it takes sometimes.

11. this is where it gets morally ambiguous to some people. I think Dawkins' thesis is that by subjecting children to hell-abuse and forcing them to adopt their parents religion, in these cases manifesting itself in the systematic rejection of basic science, is quite harmful indeed. Live and let live feels good but some things don't deserve such mercy if we want to better ourselves as a human society and as a people.

12. #12 dudedude4, May 25, 2011
    That's what it takes sometimes? Tell that to any holocaust survivor and see what happens - did God do that for a reason to his "Chosen people"? Why wouldn't God stop the decimation of world Jewry if he is to be worshipped in any way whatsoever? For these reasons and more, the notion of God seems awfully self-serving and inconsiderate of people, such as holocaust survivors, who have experienced true horror. Holocaustic horror - another proof god doesn't exist. And let me repeat, you and nobody else for that matter, have any right to claim "that's what it takes sometimes" to teach mankind a lesson. In your last seconds at the gas chamber, you wouldn't quite be as understanding of God's horrific, murderous nature, even as a witness - after all, the omnipotent would have a moral obligation to protect the defenseless. God is a little too vengeful to deserve any respect or worship, for that matter!

13. he's probably correct. i suppose i have a skewed view because i wasn't brought up in a religious household. i was told basic concepts like praying before bed and going to hell for sinning but they weren't ideas that were strongly reinforced. we read lord of the rings, not the bible lol.

i do understand the frustration with those who reject reason. it's uncomfortable to witness.

14. yeah, it's important to recognize that not all religious people hold back society to such extents. We used to all be religious a few hundred years ago, in many cases it is a funny tradition from which the dogma as puttered out and died. The trick is to get everyone there, at least.

15. Faith is by definition not actual knowledge. It is, essentially, intuition.

Uh huh. Or tragedies just happen and the wise learn from them regardless of whether they can explain them with superstition.

Do you suppose it's wrong if I feel sorry for a person who can't understand the all-too-obvious problem with the concept of an all-loving God who is sworn to punish some of us with eternal suffering? Surely you can't argue that eternal suffering is a learning tool, since it's eternal and therefore will not end even if a lesson is learned.

16. I think it's worse than merely child abuse. The results of the abuse affect the global society. I'm only just beginning the series, but I imagine he'll reach the same conclusion.

17. You need to understand that hell was introduced at a time when men were savages compared to today. People shouldnt be good out of the fear of hell, people should be good because they shouldnt want to cause harm to others. I think most Christians understand this.

18. God could allow events 100 times worse than the holocaust to happen.

Death teaches people a very valuable lesson whether you want to admit it or not. I'm not making a mockery out of anyones death.

19. By assuming that their deaths were for a purpose, you are mocking their deaths. Like i said, you would not exalt "God" for such horrendous unimaginable pain and suffering if it was you in those chambers.

20. A person only goes to hell by choice. If you reject God and choose to stay attached to your sins, then thats what you get in the end. God doesnt do it out of revenge, God loves even the ones in hell. It is the people that are in rejection.