The Vietnam War 2017

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Vee, Jun 24, 2018.

1. The Most Comprehensive Documentary About The Vietnam War So Far
    This isn't an easy watch, but it's one that I would highly recommend nonetheless. I watch many documentaries, but I have only rarely seen such an insightful and comprehensive portrait of a chapter in history.

Over the course of 16.5 hours this docu series takes the viewer from the earliest roots of the conflict in Vietnam and the country's sad colonial history to its modern-day reality after the war. Along the way, it tells a mesmerizing, shocking, appalling, tragic - but most of all: incredibly immersive and informative - story from the perspective of the people who were affected by this man-made tragedy.

Unlike most other documentaries on the subject, we also get to hear first hand accounts from North- and South Vietnamese officers, ARVN and Vietcong fighters, civilians from both the South and the North, in addition to learning more about the American experience and about the profound effect the conflict had on US society.

What Ken Burns and Lynn Novick have accomplished here can hardly be overstated; this is more than "just" an in-depth look at the Vietnam War: this is nothing less than the portrait of an era. A masterful work. 10 stars out of 10 ( gogoschka )

• Like Like x 1
  2. Watched the first episode today. So far I agree with you.
    You're right, it's not an easy watch. I recommend a buz, but don't be too high or you won't be able to follow the hap'nin.

3. Once the Uhmericans pulled out

then we moved in

me as an airforce cadet!

my first introduction to weed ...lol

but what we of the north really don't understand

the western 'hate' of commies is stronger than you own colonial past or anyone's for that matter

Vietnamers have always been ruled by some other country now WW2 is past the french in retreat

they opt for independence but usa says only on our terms