~The Unofficial Wisdom Quotes Wanted Thread – Roast a Bowl and Post a Quote~

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AK Infinity, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

2. It isn't what you do that makes you who you are; it's who you are that makes you do what you do. - moi

3. living makes you die - godzillakilla

4. Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.

- Charlie Brown

A witting saying proves nothing

- Voltaire

Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men

- Ayn Rand

The worst guilt is to accept an unearned guilt.

- Ayn Rand

Sometimes I go about in pity for myself, and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

- Ojibwe proverb

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'

- John Greenleaf Whittier

5. "its bad when 1 thing becomes 2. One should not look for anything else in the way of the samurai, its the same for anything else thats called a way. if one understands things in this matter, one should be able to hear about other ways and more and more understanding of it."

"in the words of the ancients, one should make his decisions in the space of 7 breathes. Its a mater of being determined and having the spirit to break right through to the other side."

-the way of the samurai

6. keep your tongue on a leash but let your mind run free

7. "Smoke Blunts"

8. “Love dissolved in Space for one can touch the hearts of many.
    \t\t\t\t\tSo that close to a loved one there will always be a Space of Love.
    \t\t\t\t\tThis is the essence of Love, this is its designated purpose.” \t\t\t\t\t- Anastasia
    -book 3 of the ringing cedar series

9. There are far too many important things in this world worth worrying about for us to waste time worrying about the things that arent. - me. :hippie:

10. never run backwards through a cornfield while naked.

never spit or pee into the wind.

never sleep ass up in prison.

thats some wisdom for that ass...:cool:

11. "When we are in partnership and have stopped clutching each other's throats, when we have stopped enslaving each other, we will stand together, hands clasped, and be friends. we will be comrades, we will be brothers, and we will begin the march to the grandest civilization the human race has ever known." - Eugene V. Debs

"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means." - Clarence Darrow

"Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color." - Don Hirschberg

"The philosophy of Atheism represents a concept of life without any metaphysical Beyond or Divine Regulator. It is the concept of an actual, real world with its liberating, expanding and beautifying possibilities, as against an unreal world, which, with its spirits, oracles, and mean contentment has kept humanity in helpless degradation." - Emma Goldman

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." - Francis Bacon

"The President of the United States summons the nation to church on Thanksgiving Day to give thanks to "Almighty God" for the abundant harvest and all other blessings. But what has Almighty God -- I have no desire to appear irreverent -- what has Almighty God as a personal being to do with the harvests? If it is he who produces our crops, then being Almighty there should never be a failure of crops. But since crops frequently fail, it follows that there is no Almighty person in charge of them -- unless he brings failure purposely. Therefore, if God is to be thanked for large crops, he must be blamed when the crops are a failure. . . . If God sends the rain and the sunshine which develops and ripens our wheat, who sends the storms and the insects which destroy much of it? And if he sends both, then why not thank him for one and blame him for the other?" - John Dietrich

"When men destroy their old gods they will find new ones to take their place." - Pearl S. Buck

12. "All I know is that I know nothing."-Socrates, said this to an oracle Delphi...soon after the oracle said that he was the most knowledgable greek to ever live.

Socrates could not read or write.

13. education is not equal to intelligence. .

but it helps

14. "loneliness is the greatest poverty of them all" - mother teresa

15. "Don't gain the world and loose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold"- Bob Marley

"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain"- Bob Marley

"If you are the big tree, we are the small axe, sharpened to cut you down, ready to cut you down"-Bob Marley

Bob's my hero

16. #676 bkadoctaj, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
    If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong.”
    Abraham Lincoln

:p

EDIT:

"If I could understand a flower, root and all, I would have understood the whole existence."
    - Tennyson

"Heaven, self and I arise simultaneously.”
    - Zhuangzi

17. "Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye."

"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children."
    \t\t\t
    \t\t

\t\t"Christianity has a built-in defense system: anything that questions a belief, no matter how logical the argument is, is the work of Satan by the very fact that it makes you question a belief. It's a very interesting defense mechanism and the only way to get by it -- and believe me, I was raised Southern Baptist -- is to take massive amounts of mushrooms, sit in a field, and just go, "Show me.""
    \t\t\t
    \t\t

\t\t"It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one."
    \t\t\t
    \t\t

\t\t"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."
    \t\t\t
    \t\t

\t\t"The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question: "Is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we kill those people."
    \t\t\t
    \t\t

\t\t"Go back to bed, America, your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed America, your goverment is in control. Here, here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed America, here is American Gladiators, here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on the living in the land of freedom. Here you go America - you are free to do what well tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!"
    \t\t\t
    \t\t

\t\t"I'm gonna share with you a vision that I had, cause I love you. And you feel it. You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead -- just play with this -- if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world -- and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded -- we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever in peace. Thank you very much. You've been great, I hope you enjoyed it."
    \t\t\t
    \t\t

\t\t-Bill Hicks-

:) gotta keep this bumpeed up fuckin love this thread!

18. America--brought to you by Carl's Jr. :)

19. "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."

~Andree Gide~

"...it is curiosity, initiative, originality, and the ruthless application of honesty that count in research- much more than feats of logic and memory alone."

~Julian Huxley~

"When asked what single event was most helpful in developing the Theory of Relativity, Albert Einstein replied, "Figuring out how to think about the problem."

~W. Edwards Deming~

"It is a mortifying truth, and ought to teach the wisest of us humility, that many of the most valuable discoveries have been the result of chance, rather than of contemplation, and of accident, rather than of design."

~Charles Caleb Colton~

20. “No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience”

- John Locke

“The artist must create a spark before he can make a fire and before art is born, the artist must be ready to be consumed by the fire of his own creation.”

- Auguste Rodin

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"

- Thomas Jefferson

"Well begun is half done"

- Aristotle