~The Unofficial Wisdom Quotes Wanted Thread – Roast a Bowl and Post a Quote~

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AK Infinity, Sep 18, 2006.

1. "Maturity: A stoic response to endless reality."
    -
    Carrie Fisher

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal."
    -T.S Eliot

"In the Beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams.

2. From Pilgrim's signature:

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

3. me at a art festival.....-dude...."art is motion"

4. To be old and wise, one must have been young and foolish.

5. "No ray of sunlight is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

6. “If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.”

~C.S. Lewis~

7. "Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

"Every friend of freedom must be as revolted as I am by the prospect of turning the United States into an armed camp, by the vision of jails filled with casual drug users and of an army of enforcers empowered to invade the liberty of citizens on slight evidence."

- Milton Friedman

"For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."

- David Rockefeller

8. see woody quote in my sig.

9. The more i hear people talk about how free they are, the louder i hear their chains clanging.

Ernest Hemmingway

10. "the best slave is the one who thinks he is free"

something like that and idk who its by

11. "Any advice before I go to college?" - my brother
    "Don't get caught." - me

Seems like that could apply to a lot of things

12. "Live as if you'll die today, but dream as if you'll live forever." - James Dean

13. I was just thinking about acceptance and how important it is if one wishes to live a good full life, and that the greatest force that works against us is our inability to accept that life, fully, with all of its startling contradictions. The fact that we live in a world of unbelievable cruelty coupled deeply with staggering beauty, sweet supple leaf petals and hot shrapnel flying hot through warm flesh. The dueling contradictions in life give us no relief, nor should they because in relief we cease to grow.

I've been trying to accept life for some time now, heh, maybe one of these days I'll listen to myself.

14. There are but TWO constants in our plane of existence.

1. Change

2. Paradox

-me

15. People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

16. "I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong."

~John Lennon~

17. "Life is infinity" - Me

18. "Your god is dead and only the ignorant weep. And if you claim there is a hell, then we shall meet there!” - Friedrich Nietzsche

"A subject for a great poet would be God's boredom after the seventh day of creation." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"There are two kinds of scientific progress: the methodical experimentation and categorization which gradually extend the boundaries of knowledge, and the revolutionary leap of genius which redefines and transcends those boundaries. Acknowledging our debt to the former, we yearn nonetheless for the latter." - Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Technological advance is an inherently iterative process. One does not simply take sand from the beach and produce a Dataprobe. We use crude tools to fashion better tools, and then our better tools to fashion more precise tools, and so on. Each minor refinement is a step in the process, and all of the steps must be taken. " - Chairman Sheng-ji Yang

"Heaven lasts long, and Earth abides
    What is the secret of their durability?
    Is it because they do not live for themselves
    That they endure so long?
    " - Lao Tzu

19. "A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed."
    -C.Sagan

"The single most important decision any of us will ever make is whether or not to believe the universe is friendly."
    -A.Einstein