The Unofficial Fishing Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Stølas, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Anyone else bass fish with a wacky rig? I thought my uncle was crazy till he out fished me by a long shot.

2. Yeah, but this was just a large pond on property in middle of nowhere. Was more pist because I just got on the lake and used my knife to cut plastic shit off my brand new reel. And well, knife slipped....

So it was pist as well as faintish and a bit of shock coming on lol. (Sometimes I can handle the sight, sometimes I go blind and deaf.)

But before it got too bad just dumped some bottled water on it, dry’d squeezed it for a couple mins then hit it with that super glue. All was fine. In fact I prefer superglue now for cuts, especially if on hands or place that keeps getting reopened from skin stretching.

3. Oh and only caught some large mouth bass and a rainbow trout. Trout was sheer luck. Somehow hooked the side of his body!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  4. 536367E1-B221-4D33-AFC6-B928CAB3E698.jpeg C49B4059-EFCE-40B2-B0D8-AE60213C4AAF.jpeg I spent my day out of the lake. Western NC. I’m a overall noob when it comes to fishing. I’m accustomed to fishing for panfish and usually have better luck with catfish over anything else. I used to go fishing a lot with my father growing up, then I moved after high school out of state and never got back to fishing until now. Last time I fished I was 18 or 19. I’m now 28. Pretty much a noob. The one I want to learn is bass fishing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wow is that a Goliath grouper?

6. Dropped in to get a fishing license yesterday, and this reel caught my eye. Been thinking about a new reel for a long time.
    Brought it home and put it on my favorite old graphite rod.
    I might get to use it this weekend, but so far I'm really impressed. Just a small twitch from the tip of the rod sends the line out about 100'. Very silent and smooth. Reeling back in is just as smooth and very quiet. Wasn't really expecting that from metal. Looks like a kids toy, but has a good feel. Very nice little reel for a measly $20 bill. It comes spooled with 4lb test. I wonder how much performance would suffer with 6lb test? I'd hate to let that Bass get away with my best rig.

Zebco 33 micro
    P1260004.jpg P1260005.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bass bait

• Like Like x 1
  8. Or pizza topping.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Omg don’t eat that fish tho, it has a worm growing out of it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nah...that’s double bait! Worm and fish for a giant catfish.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Top water now in Ky. Get out the spook or a medium popper or rico, and be ready to get your arm broke.
    Some are already night fishing.
    Fish been off the nest for a while now, small mouth on a brown deer hair jig.
    River is colored some, up at the dam is clear and always run 2 weeks behind the river.
    Fish secondary points off the main channel fast with the top water, then if you catch one or 2, switch to soft plastic.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Simplest fishing tip I know.
    Buy a worm blower/inflator, essentially a visible sized bottle with a hypo needle on top.
    A syringe works just as well and chances are you know either. Diabetic of a junkie.

Thread a long shank #6 hook through the end of the worm (above the ring).
    Then turn it around and bury the point in the worm like you would with a plastic worm.

Now take worm blower/ syringe and put a small air bubble in the worm about a third of the way from the end (other end from hook).
    Place the smallest split shot you can get away with about 14” above the hook.
    The lighter the line you are comfortable with the better.

Cast your line and let it sit on the bottom, The worm will float while the sinker sinks.
    Your choice now is to either let the bait stay stationary, or give some action.
    If stationary is your choice, light up. People will thing your a fisher with great patience and concentration, while in reality your just too stoned to move.

If nothing is happening, bring your rod tip up until the line is tight and hop the sinker about a foot.
    As the sinker lifts off the bottom the worm will be pulled down and once the sinker has hit bottom the air bubble will make the worm float up again.

Best with a spinning or spin cast reel. Leave the bail open or the button pushed and let the fish run with the worm.
    How long?
    Depends on the size fish you anticipate catching ( bigger fish swallow the worm faster.)
    Kind of imagine the worm as a piece of spaghetti in the fishes mouth, you gotta give it some time to suck the hook in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. IMG_0916.JPG
    Got a nice cat at Lake Shasta last week

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. [​IMG]
    Brought a buddy of mine fishing with me a few weeks ago, as he has just picked up the hobby and has never set foot on a flat bottom before. Needless to say, 30 minutes in at a private pond and he reeled hisself in a 5.9 lb beautiful creation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Hey are you in my pond? Sure looks it. And I have it stocked with Large mouth, Small mouth and bluegill and about 10 catfish.
    This pond is about 10 years old and I restock from the lake every year. I only live about 2 or 3 miles from a big dock.

• Like Like x 2
  16. No, I am not haha. This pond(20-30acres) has two docks sitting on a couple thousand acres of land in the middle of no where. I am friends with the owner. It is only home to Large mouth, small mouth, and panfish. No cats. Of course, I’m not much of a catfish fan anyways. Not enough moving around for me. I get bored sitting still.

• Like Like x 2
  17. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Nothing better then catching natural trout. Caught these bad boys at 13,200+ feet in elevation. No luck with golden tout which I was headed out for but I’m still happy :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Definitely tagging along for this one

19. Welcome aboard. You like fishin?

20. That bottom Brownie, is a perfect pan sized meal:thumbsup:...

My biggest Rainbow @ 4.5kg, many moon's back.
    IMG_20190129_133306.jpg

• Like Like x 1