The Unofficial Fishing Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Stølas, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Nice, lol. My daughter caught a monster sucker in the Columbia several years ago. I used to bowfish for squawfish from the bank and spearfish suckers underwater when I was a teenager. I rarely see them these days, I guess that's a good sign.

2. We have a couple of lakes with a bunch of suckers .I snagged one that was just under 20lbs last year what a fun fight. I honestly thought about bow fishing for those. Sounds like a good time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Going to our local lil trout spot. They always stock from Shasta/trinity mountain region. Hopefully catch some dinner!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Ya when my daughter hooked into that sucker I thought it might be a sturgeon. Felt like reeling in a sheet of plywood or something.

I just heard on the radio yesterday that two species of suckers are on the endangered species list. I had no idea, always assumed they were trash fish with a bounty on their heads. I used to just throw them up on the bank after killing them.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...uckers-released-in-effort-to-avoid-extinction

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shit same here lol I have left me share up on the shores.

I think it is funny that in Oregon you can keep your sturgeon unless caught off of the Snake but in Idaho you can get a big ticket for even pulling them out of the water. Oh well like 98 percent of fish I catch go back in the water anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Got a little fishing in today but only caught one rainbow. Fun day so far. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice catch! Just went fishing yesterday at my favorite spot in town. Caught me a redear/bluegill hybrid and ended my 4 month skunk!

May go back out there in the rain today to catch some more[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. I went out yesterday and caught one Crappie. It was the biggest one I have ever caught and probably the first one I have caught in over twenty years. Sorry no pic though cause I forgot to take one before I released it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Going bass and crappie fishing tommow. Got jig heads n shit so I really only needed this stuff for Texas rigs n bait for the jigheads.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. My new gear to start of this season. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. I love to fish! I’m on the Louisiana coast so I’m lucky enough to have great saltwater and freshwater fishing at my disposal.

I’m gonna try and upload before and after pics of a boat I just finished “fixing up”. Got it and the trailer for $350! Needed lots of welding though. It’s taken me about 8 months and maybe an additional $700 to get everything that’s on there now, including the motor. Motor is a mud motor actually, it can run in literally 0 water. Heck I could throw a garden hose in my backyard and muddy it up and in a few hours be able to scoot my boat around in it lol

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nice man! I'm thinking about going in on a boat with my buddy. Something just like that. Cheap enough to buy and fix up, and perfect for two or three guys to go out fishing on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #33 rampidwookie, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Here’s a big ass catfish I caught this past summer. Was bass fishing a 7 inch long red Shad worm, Texas rigged. Slow dead sticking on the bottom and this 10lb 1oz cat smoked it

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. #34 rampidwookie, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    I have a few recommendations. Firstly, buy a used boat bc the new ones are crazy expensive and you can find cheap deals on old dinged up ones like mine. Secondly, make sure you don’t buy a riveted boat even if it’s new or newer. Get a “welded” boat, regardless of brand. At least .008 aluminum hull thickness. Unless you’re hard on boats, it’ll never ever leak. Also these mud motors are a great way to motorize your boat for cheap. They are DIY build-a-motor kits. Mine is the sps swamp runner medium kit with a Honda gx390 but you can get predator motors from harbor freight for cheap.
    Flat front will get in real shallow water easy but a semi-v is good for cutting through choppy water and can get shallow too. Just needs more power to push it through thick mud.
    This boat would have costed me a lot more if I didn’t have a friend who welds aluminum and gave me very friendly prices on the welding. It originally had 2 bench seats, a very small front deck, and no storage. Plus no seat pedestals. Now it has rainproof storage, a big casting deck, open floor, seat pedestals, transom has been reinforced, and he fixed 12 leaks (this boat was used offshore to clean up the BP oil spill and was run over a lot of oyster beds which TEAR a boat up) in it.

Also, mine is a 1442 (14ft long and 42 inches wide at the bottom) and it’s considerably stable for a flat bottom boat, and can fish 3 guys but it’s cramped. Wish I had a 16ft lol

Also a side note: noticed your bullet weights for Texas rig are really big. Not sure if you’re fishing in a lot of current but you can use 1/16 oz bullet weights if there’s no current to mess you up, and you can feel the bottom contour/bites a lot better

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeah I'm going for a boat just like yours, used, needs a little tlc but isn't totally wrecked.

For under 2k that's a nice set up man!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Guys. Fuck yeah. Caught two of these bad boys. This guy was on my first cast with the jig with a craw trailer. Within 10 min of each other. Caught more today with a guy I met on Fishbrain who gave me the spot. 2lbr at least and 20in +[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. The two big guys were last night. Got some small dinks today but they were biting on every cast

18. So excited the wife gave me the go ahead to order one of these this week. It the Vibe Yellowfin 130t tandem to solo fishing kayak. I was going to get a couple of Vibe Seahhost 130 but she did not want to solo it so this works for me. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Going out today to anew spot our friend showed us. Got some smaller 2/0 hooks and some finesse worms. He was catching em like no other the other day with these. I love em. Great action and colour for our waters here.

Anyone got any bass tips? I normally Texas rig a curltail or senko/robo/finesse or jig a craw trailer. Haven't been able to catch my first bass of the year though[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. What's in your every day tackle or pond hopping kit? Here's mine gear. First one is my main box. If ever I'm out, I will always have this one in my pocket if nothing else. if I'm going bass fishing by a pond I've never been to it's all I need. Dif size hooks, weights, some jigs/swimbaits, and plastics.

The other two are holding my other most used stuff. My tackle box is half empty right now lol. I just take these three boxes with my first aid kit and extra line in my back pack and use that as my pond hopping gear.

Post your collections of tackle too![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]