the universe

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by negligent, Nov 14, 2004.

1. i been wonderin this alot lately, and maybe some of you have been wonderin to, but how big is the friggin universe!? haha like does it ever end, and when it does end, wats the universe inside of, maybe its just like our universe is a single atom making up some other universe, haha but i mean, is it possible that it NEVER ENDS? i dont know, and never will know, until i'm dead maybe. i guess that was a ramble, n i aint even high.

2. try to imagine it like the universe is like everything..... so every atom in you and in everything else is the universe..... like if u were to fly OUT of the universe you'd fly out of like EVERY atom in your body and out of everything else.... so it's like this huge confusing ass loop.......lol........ shroom up.... :)

3. Cool post, Anthony...

Yeah the universe's one of the ultimate mind bogglers...it's supposed to expand at the speed of light, so it must have an end. But since it's expanding, there oughtta be some space beyond it. This is what most scientist deny. They say there's nothing. But even if there were someting, how would it end?

Both questions cannot be ansewred since we cannot understand the concept of infinity (nothingness is just another form of infinity). But it's sure fun to think about

4. lol yeah it's kinda interesting..... for you trippers out there you know when u get that feeling of being everything... which is especially more defined with higher doses but ya know ..... so ok, imagine the universe is like the fourth dimension......and the fourth dimension is where every point of it is at the same point... you get what im saying??? that is why if u were to leave the universe you'd come out of everything ..... like it's completely impossible to fully grasp the concept but it's crazy shit to think about..... so everything (including the universe) would be made up of itself and everything else...everything is everything........... hahaha

and here is a cool quote i think people have this in their signature but for anyone who has missed it..............

"Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is mearly energy, condensed to a slow vibration; that we are all one consiousness experiencing itself subjectively; there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather... "

5. End Of The Universe = Endless Fields Of Mary Jane.. :D

6. I think I was once told that at some point it will stop expanding and start coming back, don't remember where I heard it though.

7. yeah its liike potential engergy....here is a metaphor (sp?) ya know when you throw a baseball directly into the sky....when ever you throw it(like the big bang theory)...it goes fast then it slows down (much like the universe will do) and then it will come back to you bc of gravity....(what you just said of the universe coming backing) and another theory apart from this...is that when the universe stops expanding everything is like 'there' and no moving and just there....but i believe in both theories equally unless in astronomy they prove otherwise ;)

8. The universe does not go on forever and it is expanding. Theirs a starting point where it collapesed and was recreated "big bang". They all say the universe is expanding and something that expands must have a ending point that expands. Something that goes on forever can't expand or collapse becasue their would be nowhere for it to expand or collapse into without it covering or uncovering a void which would mean that the universe does not go on forever.

It will one day collapse and the universe will be recreated.

9. was thinkin' tha same shit,lol well who knows i guess when we die will know,lol:smoke:

10. hopefully

11. The vacuum of outer space, theoretically, extends into infinity. The amount of matter contained within it, however, is finite, in my opinion. I've read a few articles on theories of multiple universes, most involve supposed duplicate universes or otherwise similar dimensions that lie astronomical distances from ours. The article I read in scientific american says that an exact replica of our galaxy lies roughly 10x10<SUP>28 meters from ours. As far as the theory goes, this is supported by the massive inconceivable distances and volumes within the universe. I'm no expert on physics, but as far as I know, much of the "vacuum" of outer space can be explained as dark matter. The majority of the evidence for the existance of dark matter lies in gravitational fields. The total sum of its mass, if it exists, is roughly 88% of all matter in the universe. Whatever dark matter is, it is the dominant source of gravitational forces in the universe, and so it must be at least partly responsible for the structure of the universe today. As for the universe expanding indefinately or contracting into another big bang, there are many theories regarding the subject. I personally believe the universe will expand forever. Anyways, if anyone more informed on the subject of physics finds any great discrepancies in this post feel free to correct them. Thanks for reading my long spiel, peace out</SUP>

12. There is no difference between dark matter and matter. The word "dark" might be a bit misleading. It's actually transparent, thus invisible through telescopes and cameras. It can be detected by its gravity field. But if 88% of the universe's matter is dark matter it would obviously be responsible for 88% of the universe's gravitayional force...

13. I know this has always bugged me!! :confused: I mean how can something expand if it has no end?? And if it does have an end would u just be like flying and smash into it? Or maybe you would come back out in the beginning again like a neverending loop??? And besides how the fuck can they tell if it is expanding or whatever.

14. hmm and this prolly wont make much sense. But like say if the universe did start to collapse and come back how would that work like would you be able to see the "end" coming?? Like ok we just lost pluto.... now neptune..... Jupitar..... mars................ and then bam were all just dead like smashed or torn apart atom by atom or what??