The Universe and Humanity

Discussion in 'General' started by Cudderisback, Jun 30, 2011.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEQouX5U0fc&feature=fvwrel]YouTube - ‪How Large is the Universe?‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0lxbzgwW7I&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Size Of The Universe‬‏[/ame]

0 There are 100,000 times as many stars in the universe as sounds and words ever uttered by all humans who have ever lived.

9 Humans are genetically connected with life on Earth, chemically connected with life on other star systems and atomically connected with all matter in the universe.

8 Dark matter and dark energy make up 94 percent of the universe. We can measure their existence, yet we have no idea what they are.

7 Beneath a thick layer of surface ice, Jupiter's moon Europa likely harbors an ocean kept warm by the gravitational stresses induced by Jupiter and by neighboring moons -- a potential haven for life.

6 An asteroid the size of Mount Everest slammed into Earth 65 million years ago. The ensuing global climatic catastrophe left 70 percent of all the world's species extinct, including the ferocious dinosaurs.

5 There are more molecules of water in a cup of water than cups of water in all the world's oceans. This means that some molecules in every cup of water you drink passed through the kidneys of Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Abe Lincoln or any other historical person of your choosing. Same goes for air: There are more molecules of air in a single breath of air than there are breaths of air in Earth's entire atmosphere. Therefore, some molecules of air you inhale passed through the lungs of any historical person of your choosing.

4 The laws of physics, as measured here on Earth, apply everywhere else in the universe -- across space and time.

3 Because light takes time to travel from one place to another, the farther out in space you look, the farther back in time you see. With our most powerful telescopes, we can observe the universe all the way back to its earliest moments -- all the way back to the Big Bang itself.

2 With Mars likely to have been wet and fertile before Earth in the early solar system, with known bacteria that can survive extremes of temperature, pressure and radiation, with asteroid impacts that can cast into space rocks that contain bacterial stowaways, allowing life to move between planets, it may be that life on Earth was seeded by life from Mars, making all of us descendants of Martians.

1 With chemical elements forged over 14 billion years in the fires of high-mass stars that exploded into space, and with these elements enriching subsequent generations of stars with carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and other basic ingredients of life itself, we are not just figuratively but literally made of stardust.

Dark Matter: We cannot see or detect about 90% of the matter across the entire universe, although strides have now been made in "mapping" this matter. This dark matter, so named because it does not emit energy at any wavelength, is still a huge mystery in terms of what it really is. Its presence however is unquestionable, because the interactions on large scales within galaxies, between galaxies and galaxy clusters is impossible with the level of mass that can be accounted for by stars, planets and interstellar dust alone.

Dark Energy: Dark energy is the mysterious force that causes repulsion between matter in the universe on the largest scales, leading to the known expansion of the universe. Dark energy is the largest component of the matter/energy in the universe, estimated to account for 73%, with dark matter accounting for 23% and luminous matter such as stars only accounting for 4% of the total!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Our Expanding Infinite Universe, the Earth is nothing special.

[​IMG]

Got really high one day, and took some unmentionable consciousness expanding substance and realized how insignificant we are and how we are all the same. Scientifically speaking, we are all animals, albeit it very advanced animals living in a very advanced environment yet as a human race we have no unity. The only times we do have unity are for a specific race or when something traumatic like 9.1 happens, and it is beautiful. In those moments of tragedy we all realize that we're all in this together. Why waste time hating each other and being an asshole to someone who is YOU.

For instance, [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdwKUjD6qx4&feature=related]YouTube - ‪First Person video of Joplin MO tornado 5 22 11.as it is happening.joplin missouri tornado‬‏[/ame]

What's more inspiring and beautiful than those raw moments of humanity that strip us of our ego bullshit and individuality and remind us of how we are in this earth, this life, this UNIVERSE together.

At the end of the video, everyone felt so much appreciation and love for everyone around them because they realized how fucking insignificant their indivdual ego is and how powerful the world can be and how much it hinders them from being a geniune loving participant in life. Once we can realize how we're the same we can actually start being ourselves all the time around everyone and stop this bullshit individualistic facade that hinders human connection.
    just some thoughts..

2. Good read, nothing fascinates me more then space. Going to get high later and watch the videos.

+rep also mate.

3. I love space. It's so marvelous.

4. #4 Cudderisback, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    Ah, I agree.

Nothing more fascinating than staring up into the sky and wondering what else is out there.

The moon is pretty awesome too, because I know everytime I look up at it, another person is doing the exact same thing on the opposite side of the globe, and asking themselves the same questions.

It reminds us of man's accomplishments, walking on the moon, satellites, etc., and of possible future discovery that could be just as, if not more groundbreaking.
    Lunar eclipse:
    [​IMG]

solar:

[​IMG]

Fucking beautiful. Man has created so much bullshit stimulation for our generation, like constant music in the background, TV, videogames, etc. that a beautiful nighttime view of space is shit compared to cartoons. It's sad really.

5. As corny as it sounds,
    I want the universe of Mass Effect to be real.

You know what... it probably is :)

6. Haha, you remind me of my mate. He told me drunk the other night that the only reason he had a reason to live was to play Mass Effect 3, now that his girlfriend had split up with him. Funny shit.

But yeah man, that universe is so epic and immersive, I can totally empathise.

7. Bump for awareness.