Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The Truth Behind 420, the meaning behind the number

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by GlassCollect420, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Man i read half of it
    its way tooo long

2. Damn, that was long. Couldn't finish it. I got pretty far. Lots of partial truths (unless the real deal is at the end?).
    Here it is, the real deal: Way back in 1971, the trouble kids at San Rafael High would get out of detention at 4:15. They would meet at the Louis Pasteur statue at 4:20 to smoke pot. It got to where they would just say "420" to their friends and they would know to meet at the statue to get high after detention.

3. that is the best answer that i have heard and most common one i have heard

4. It's all an urban legend at this point - the High School students story is the most common one I've heard - but it's amazing, the older generation of stoners have no idea what it is...

5. i always knew about the cop theory and always thought iot was that. good thing to finally know

6. No it's not. The Waldo kids from California is the true story. It started there and was transfered through The Dead.

I didn't read the article the OP provided but this is a good article.

What 420 Means: The True Story Behind Stoners' Favorite Number

7. The waldos met at 4:20 to smoke, but now people celebrate An entire day, April 20th.
    Haha I just had to tell my dad this story after he read an article about 420 in the Times, he knows I smoke so he just 'thought I should know about it

8. my dad was in the original waldos

9. there used to be 420 days per year in the greco-roman calendar, but archaeologists have recently confirmed that the supermassive black hole in our sister galaxy andromeda has forced us to use our current gregorian calendar. to honor the old calendar some sneaky stoners decided lets get high and reflect on this

10. of course cuz it didnt exist back then ........ its all made up shit

11. Hey guys, I'm from Marin County, San Rafael. The legend of 420 is that after detention at San Rafael Public High School, kids would blow some smoke by the statue at 4:20 after detention. This is where it originated. Even the teachers I have asked agree that this is where it came from.

MYTH BUSTED!

12. that shits actualy true, high times flew the dudes out to amsterdam a few years ago.

13. Coolish story but I'm gonna be happy believing urban legends and popular misconceptions, it's more fun that way.

14. Maybe it's use was pretty regional to the west through the 70's and 80's? And probably, as west coast rap really blew up the term spread to the midwest and beyond? I don't really remember ever hearing it either as a kid or in high school in missouri (late 70's to late 80's.) I spent most of the 90's pregnant and raising babies on military bases- and not smokin, so never heard it there. First saw the term around 1996 in a aol chatroom when we got our first computer.

15. It actually spread through The Grateful Dead and fans. You can read the article I posted in the middle fo this thread.