The Truth and Myths of: "NUTRIENTS"

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by zeroshawdow, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Good Evening City

Its been a while since I stop by or join some of you in your threads. I want to start coming back to the place I consider and think is my second home. I have been growing for the past 4 years. I have learned a lot and help a lot with everything about 'growing, educating and image' of 'MARIJUANA'. But tonight the turn is for a subject that have been bugging me for the longest. Altho, I have not conclusive evidence, because the plants are flowering right now. I feel to start a conversation about the 'TRUTH and MYTHS' about 'NUTRIENTS'.

For the longest, I have been always experience some sort of deficiencies or problem with my grows. However; The final product (Buds) is 'Top Notch'. However; I know it could be better. Usually around the 3rd, 4th and 5th Week during flowering, I do experience deficiencies of all kinds. Leaf burning, curling up, brown spots, yellowing. Results, under yield, excellent quality, but appearance is not the excellent is just simply good. Since I do grow for my personal usage, I do a lot experiments with my plants. The main reason, because there is too much 'OPINION' and less 'FACTS' about specifics such as; 'NUTRIENTS'.

I will not discredit any company. However; just use your best judgement with the information I'm sharing. I have been using a Cheap-O-Fertilizer in my last run before I shut down the LAB (Vacations). The reason why I decided to give a shot to the CHEAP-O; I was tired of dealing with the deficiencies and I just tried that 'NUTRIENT' as a last resort. I grow in Soiless; Perlite, Vermiculite, Peat, Compost. This is it where it gets good. After I'd use the 'CHEAP-O' the plants stop the deficiencies and are growing stronger than before. That got me into thinking about the nutrient performance all the companies promote.

Truth or Myth ?

Does 'CHEAP-O' fertilizer perform almost or exactly like the famous brands here in our community ?

I think is TRUE, based on my results. I will post pics eventually with comparison (more or less).

Truth or Myth ?

Does the plant really use all the additives we introduce every time we water ?

I think that is a MYTH. I think most additives are so redundant within each others. In addition, a plant can take up so much, right ?

You've the 'IDEA' ! Let's help each other and contribute in any way you can. Right now 'MARIJUANA' is making history for the first time at 'COURT'. Let's grow the wisdom.

ZS

2. I look forward to seeing your results. This could be of great use to the community seeing as there are so many varieties of nutrients on the market.

3. Let's see if the top veterans in the topic contribute. This is what happen right now to me. I felt to the 'Hype Wagon' of the nutrients. The reason I will not discredit any MFC is because nobody force me to pay and use a product. Regardless of its price. The way I see it is:

I saw it, ask about it, read the description and go for it.

However; now I have more experience and evidence that support my way of thinking. I'm not saying is 100% accurate because I do not have a controlled TEST project. But this should help us to start something to talk about.

ZS

4. what are you using?

5. a friend of mine recently grew a rather gorgeous crop of purple wreck with absolutely no nutrients. all he did was throw some organic blood and bone meal down ONE time, so i dont even count that lol.

6. @Vicarious87

I'm using right now, Expert Plant Food (15-30-15). I feed AN in betweens waterings. However; I stop feeding AN for the past 8 days and yellowing is showing up in the bigger fan leaves. What confirm my theory is the following. I fed full streghnt my AN nutrients when the first signs of yellowing appear. Waited 3 days and no sign of the yellowing stopping. In the 4th day, I prepared a batch with full streghnt of the Expert and 2 days later the green is coming back in the big fan leaves.

I'm not rooting for any specif brand. However; I recommend what I have used.

7. @Soxfantony773

You are absolutely right about that. I have grown with Organic Soil and Teas. The results regarding weight with what I used are below of what I expect. Flavor on the other hand is 'BETTER' than with Chemical Fertilizers. I would like to add, this is my own personal experience after completing 5 different strains in 'Organic Soil' that I have grown before with Chemical in Soiless. In other words, I have base information to come to my own personal conclusion. However; further experiment are need it.

However; I would like to ask to the Organic Grower side, if super charging the soil the way nowadays most common growers do (Bone,Blood, Crab Meals, Lime, GreenSand, Rock, Perlite, Vermi, Compost, EWC, Guanos, etc, etc)

is it really that necessary ? at which point you'll be overdoing ?

I ask because you can burn a plant with Organic Soil, Nutrient, etc.

8. Good Morning City

How are you today ? Where is everybody ? Is the user count decrease here in GC ?

9. Good morning ZS.

For 20+ years I grew using a wide variety of hydroponic nutes in a wide variety of different mediums - always looking to find the "perfect setup".

I never did.

Of course, I did fine. I grew good pot, better than most, but, as you described, there was always some kind of an issue - yellowing, spotting, curling, burning - whatever. Its almost inevitable.

Several years ago I was turned on to real organic gardening. I havent looked back since. I havent bought a bottle of nutrients in years - I simply dont need them anymore. My garden produces more, my flowers smell and taste better, I dont ever get deficiencies, nute burn - whatever, like I did for all those years when I was using bottled nutes.

Holy shit do I save money not buying "nutes"! But - even if I wasnt saving a shit ton of money, I'd still garden organically. To me, there is simply no comparison anymore.

An organic garden is a magical, wonderful thing. Organic soil is totally ALIVE - I mean, how cool is that.

I lean more towards seed meals, Dynamic Accumulators, rock dusts and sure, some crab meal, but tend to stay away from animal byproducts like bone and blood meals - theyre just kinda gross to me.

When we garden hydroponically, we really guess, leave it up to the chemical fertilizer manufacturers and force feed what we think our plants need. When we garden organically, we make a diverse soil mix, with a little bit of everything that plants need. As the plants grow, both they and the soil life decides what the plants need to thrive, and take it as they need it, resulting in healthier, more vibrant plant health.

I make my own compost and worm castings at home. These items are really the heart of an organic garden, as all of the soil life starts out in these items. Over time, they breed and spread out through our soil. Bacteria release enzymes which break down, or "nutrient cycle" organic matter, effectually breaking it down into food for both the plant and the microbes. Fungal strands stretch out through the soil, literally carrying nutrients directly to your plants roots. Fungal strands will actually penetrate directly through your plants roots to carry nutrition to your plants.

Im able to continually reuse my soil. The day a plant is harvested I dig out a 1 gallon hole out of my 15 gallon pots and drop in a new 1 gallon vegging plant. Ive been reusing the very same soil for several years now - plant No.15 in the same pot of soil as plant No. 1 was in with absolutely no loss of quality or quantity, by simply topdressing with assorted organic amendments here and there - it simply doesnt get any easier. I dont ever need to check pH, or PPM's. I keep my soil moist with straight tap water, with the exception of an occassional botanical tea.

There is no perfect bottled nutrient. I'll never buy another bottle again - because I dont need to.

Thanks - just my .02c.

j

• Like Like x 1
  10. I ask because you can burn a plant with Organic Soil

This depends.

With a well made soil, made with quality humus (compost, castings, vermicompost), as long as you allow the soil to nutrient cycle (this refers to the time allowed for the soil life to break down the organic amendments you added) then you really cannot burn your plants. Nutrient cycling is, of course, key. Fresh amendments added to a soil can and probably will burn. Properly made soil will not.

A decent soil recipe should be used, for example:

1/3 humus components (castings/compost/vermicompost)
    2/3 Sphagnum peat
    Aeration amendment if needed
    4-5 cups of rock dust per Cubic Foot (7.5 gallons)
    2-3 cups nutritional amendments per CF

There are of course many variations, but this is a basic recipe. the 2-3 cups of nutritional amendments are a TOTAL of your items - not each. If you use a dozen cups, vs. 2-3, sure, you'll burn up your plants probably. depending on how many different amendments are used, you just add, lets say, a quarter cup of each, or whatever, until you have your 2-3 cups, total, per CF.

j

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Jerry !

This is the type of knowledge I'm looking for and we should spread around. Right now we are looking options to move from were we live. Magnificent place. However; the space limitatons are a problem right now. I have tried 'Organic' but I have to say very, very simple. Maybe that is why I have not got the result I was expecting.But the flavors from Organic buds are 'Astonishing'.

Let me ask you this.

Do you think your yield will change if you take away an amendment ? For example Rock Dust ?

12. zeroshawdow, you should head to the organic grow section. You'll learn a ton from the good organi-folks there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. @Fluffy

I have and I'm friend with some of them. I will tell more one of my mentors here is 'MX' from the Organic section. However; I'm a hydroponic grower and I love to be playing around with nutrients and stuff. I have tried Organics in the low end, but I do believe with 'Hydroponics' you yield more.

14. Synthetics do tend to give you a bigger yield, but not by much. But for personal consumption it's all about the quality at the end. Organics definitely has the edge on synthetics when it comes to smell/taste.

15. @Fluffy

You're absolutely right about taste. The smell I will always blame the genetics. I have grown too many strains in the past year and half to reach that conclusion. For example I have grown; Critical Super Silver Haze & Pineapple Express in different mediums and nutrients, ranging from; hydroponics, soiless and organic. Each medium came with the same smell. That's why I think the smell is all genetics and how strong is the smell, would be our own doing.

16. but I do believe with 'Hydroponics' you yield more

Not necessarily true...*lol*

This is a Blueberry plant in a 15 gallon pot of my homemade soil. If I remember correctly she gave me almost 3/4 of a pound of the sweetest smelliest stickiest buds ever.

She was kept moist with tap water. No bottled nutrients whatsoever.

http://forum.grasscity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=759074&d=1322339617

http://forum.grasscity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=759080&d=1322339617

http://forum.grasscity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=759078&d=1322339617

Organics is NOT about this amendment or that amendment - it's about high quality humus. It's about creating and maintaining a living soil. It's about the bacteria that exude enzymes that break down organic matter into its elemental form, where compounds are released from their bonds, how fungi actually penetrate roots to help carry nutrients from A to B -

Fertilizer companies are raping the modern gardeners pocketbooks. I spent countless thousands over the years. It feels good to not need them anymore.

It takes a little bit and some patience to get started, but if if you were really interested I'd be more than happy to help. The deeper one gets into organics the more fascinating it becomes.

J

• Like Like x 1
  17. @Jerry

Thanks a lot J !

I dream with the moment of us buying our next house with a enough space for me to submerge into 'Organics' full blast.

The main reason I fall for hydroponics is the cool stuff such as: DeepWaterCulture and Aeroponics. In addition is more easy to get rid of gallons of water than gallons of soil. Like I mention before, space limitations. I do have a backyard, but I cannot go 'WillieWonka with it' :D

The research should come up with Organics or Similar in DWC or Aereponics (Low n High Pressure)

Since you have so many years under your belt. Let me ask you this.

Do you think a Cheap-O-Walmart fertilizer performs exactly the same or even better than the hydroponic nutrients, in other words the expensive ones ?

18. I feel like there are too many variables to say this about the yield. There are some pros around here pulling some damn weight in there organic grows. Jerry's one of them. G45 grows some monsters too. My last grow was 13 ounces with 3 plants in a 4x4 space. Not bad and my Scrog has room for more growth still. My goal is 4 plants-20 ounces in my 4x4 space. We'll see.

With organics, its not about the fertilizer, its about the compost source. Did you make it yourself or did you buy a $2 bag from lowes. You get out what you put in. And I also believe that watering technique plays into it. If your soil goes dry, that is time that your plant is not growing. People are matching growthrates of hydro growers with watering systems like Tromf Blumats and SIP planters. The reason hydro growers have a better yield is because of a consistant water source.

19. Why would you get rid of perfectly good soil. Reuse it man!

I believe I read that SG1 uses cheap walmart fertilizers. I dont see why they wouldnt work. I think AN is taking advantage of the fact that we are all stoned

20. Potassium Nitrate, calcium nitrate, potassium phosphate, and magnesium sulfate and some micronutrients like iron, manganese, sulphur and copper - some of the ingredients in hydro nutes - then you get guys like Big Mike at Advanced, all of them; they buy these items in bulk out of China and with a basic recipe and a thousand percent markup, a cool looking picture on a quart jug and you've got yourself a Nute Line. Bulk chemicals are dirt cheap. It's all about marketing. They are all base chemicals, just mixed in different ratios.

I think they're all at least roughly the same buddy. I think I've tried them all over the years - they all work fine if that's your gardening method. It's up to the gardener to tweak their mixes, get to know their plants, don't over feed, don't overwater, make sure your medium is aerated - etc.

An experienced gardener will perhaps do better with cheapo nutes than a movie with Advanced, if that's what you were getting at?

No, I don't believe that there is a BEST nutrient line, I think that they are all roughly the same.

J