The truth about sports.

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by SkinnyHD, Aug 11, 2013.

1. What if sports are just used as something to keep society distracted and focused on something that has literally no meaning in the entire world. And that is why athletes get paid so much. People in power pay them so that we can be distracted and don't have time to learn the truth about things. We would be easier to control.  :smoking:

2. Whoa!, that is most heinous, Ted! *air guitar* WYLD STALLYNS!!!

3. It's one of the many things that distract society lol :smoke:

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Sometimes, one needs entertainment to distract them from the world and how truly horrible it can be at times. Life would be pretty depressing if all you did was work and hear all the negativity in the world.

That's why tv, music, sports, vacations, are so highly held in society.

Do some people let themselves get distracted by these and turn a blind eye to the world? Sure. But that is not the goal of the entertainment industry in general. It's to provide entertainment, make money, and it provides millions of jobs.

5. I believe that there is something a lot deeper going on. 

6. I highly doubt there is a motive higher than money. The industry spews money in so many directions.

7. modern sports/athletes = ancient gladiators

think about it. its the same shit minus the death.

8. But why is this? 
    I think the people who are very high up help provide this money. Think about it. We live and breathe technology and media in this day and age. If you think of the brain as a computer we are constantly being downloaded with new information. They can push points across with us just interpreting it as "entertainment". When really it is much deeper. When the TV was first invented it was almost unimaginable that anybody would have the time to just stare at a screen. They thought that TV would fail.. But look at what has happened now. While it isn't all bad I think it is not all good. It is a big distraction from things that really matter.

"What does the emperor do when the people start asking questions? He sends them to the circus! Or a football game.. Or a basketball game. Just to keep the idiots pre occupied with things that don't mean a thing in the scheme of the entire world."

...right.

Not everyone obsesses over sports so much they forget bout the real world. Some might, but not enough to warrant that someone is doing it to distract people from what's happening.

It's a neat conspiracy, I just don't think it holds any ground.

10. Somebody smoked a tainted sack lol

Pilot Talk

11. I wasn't saying that you would forget about the real world. But it isn't really that far fetched to say that it is being used to distract us. If more of our free time was spent trying to figure out whats going wrong instead of watching somebody hit a ball with a bat, things could change a lot quicker.

But I respect your opinion  :smoke:

12. #12 Bunny Wailer, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013

I agree it isn't far fetched to say it's used to distract us, because it is. Many acts say during their show that "this is a time to forget about troubles in the world" or something similar. However, I don't think it goes much deeper than that (except money).

Volunteering/donations/etc. are all ways people help in their free time, but everyone needs a break.

EDIT: Also, I agree with what Squidrick says below me about using sports to stay healthy and active

13. Your looking at sports as entertainment, I look at sports as a way of staying healthy and active. I am more concerned about playing a game of soccer then I am watching one. And fuck football, I may get shit for this, but it is really overrated!!!!

Anyways I see the point that pro athletes get paid wayyyyy more then they are worth and people take the act of watching sports really serious in this country. Pro sports serve as the #1 way to advertise products to people, that is why they are allowed to become so popular as entertainment. However at smaller scales, such as minor league baseball, you will notice that the players are less concerned about pay and more concerned with performance and the fans are more dedicated to the sport and not the stigma surrounding it.

Pro sports are a business. Almost all other levels of sporting are about the sport itself, minus division 1 college sports which are also a business now.

14. I think we are all right here. My only idea was that there is ANOTHER reason why sports are big in the adult community today. Back in the day sports were for children and adults went on to bigger more adult things. I may be wrong I may be right but sometimes fact is stranger than fiction. Peace :smoke:

15. it really all boils down to sex.

16. Wow I never thought of it like that. I knew they were pointless though.