Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The truth about eating marijuana, RAW

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Perihelion, Feb 20, 2009.

1. First thread post of 2012 :)

This argument over hash eating getting you stoned, or not, needs to be looked at differently. I have eaten a mere 3 joints worth of hash and been off my tits before, so I know it works. It takes longer to work, about 45 minutes for me, but non is wasted. However, it would depend on how the hashish is processed in the first place. Some is heated while being pressed, some is rubbed or sifted and pressed without heating.

Someone posted saying the reason you get a quicker and stronger high when smoking is because it's heated was telling a half truth, it is also because it is absorbed into the blood steam much quicker through the lungs than anywhere else. You do however blow a load of it back out, so maybe not as economic as ingesting it, again depending how it was originally processed.

Similar can be said about the cocaine comment. Someone could freebase it then smoke it which would get it in quicker (via the lungs) than snorting it, and the slowest way would be to swallow it. It all gets in the bloodstream though, just a different intensity of high.

As for the guy that says his mates split a half ounce of hash and swallowed a quarter each when the man was about to show up, thats perfectly feasible. For one thing, he never said what type of hash it was. I could slip down a full half of Nepalese in just a few seconds on my own, some harder Moroccan I still think it would be possible to wolf down a quarter in 45 seconds to a minute, some Kashmir/Lebanese would turn gritty and could also be scoffed, but not very pleasant, but do-able if need be. Some would get you totally ripped, some wouldn't do that much.

As for the original question about eating raw weed, you will need a lot of it to get the same 'high' as heating it first. That isn't to say it isn't beneficial. I came across this thread, as personally, I'm not that bothered about getting stoned or high anymore, and am more interested in the other medicinal properties of the plant.

Anyway, thats my 2012 2 cents worth. :D

2. Eating 3 joints worth of hash is not a "mere" amount, that could be smoked to so much better use, at least in my opinion.

3. True, but in other parts of the world where hash is almost exclusively consumed (opposed to cannabis flowers) there are indeed many people who choose uncooked oral ingestion of hash for their daily intake method.

I don't know why people are so adamant in refusing to believe that THC can be absorbed in different way, they do know about THC skin balms right?(...)

4. "Eating 3 joints worth of hash is not a "mere" amount, that could be smoked to so much better use, at least in my opinion."

I have to disagree, while it takes longer to feel the effect, I found it way stronger than smoking 3 joints. I used the term 'mere' as it was related to someone saying they ate a quarter, and other such things. I was trying to show some perspective.

Hey though, if you're in a rush for an instant high, smoke it. If you can wait for 40 minutes or so, eat it (if it's been heat treated during the formulation process) you get more out of it.

5. The point most people are trying to make in discussions like these is that it is way more efficient to first heat it and then dissolve it in a fatsource or alcohol.

I have no problem at all believing someone with a lowish tolerance can get high by eating a few joints worth, but that wouldn't do much for me. When the same amount is decently processed on the other hand, 3 joints worth (depending on quality) could destroy me for a whole evening.

6. #106 BadKittySmiles, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    It's not only in the activation, the most effective edibles are also highly bioavailable... which, even activated, cannabis glandular material is not.

The edible solvents we use serve two important purposes; they break down cannabis glandular material into
    particles small enough to be absorbed, and secondly, they create a bioavailable solution, coating those particles,
    creating a 'vehicle' for cannabinoid/chemical delivery.
    Our edible solvents, oil, alcohol and glycerin, effect cellular permeability: they facilitate absorption.

Without a 'vehicle', or without being properly processed into a solution, cannabinoids for the most part
    'bounce off' cellular walls, rather than passing through them, and instead of being delivered to the blood stream,
    much of your potency passes through the digestive tract, going 'in one end, and out the other' without absorption!

The below is an excerpt from one of my tutorials, for -medical grade cannabis concentrate-;

----------------------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate: Edible & Smokable

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the body to absorb, even if it has been activated, and even when it
    is in the form of a sticky filtered concentrate, such as BHO, or Rick Simpson's Oil.

It needs a 'vehicle' such as oil, glycerin, or even alcohol, which drastically improves cellular permeability, in order to provide
    you with the most absorption and the strongest sensations.

[​IMG]

The above 'water' could be brownie mix, it could be a beverage, or it could simply be the extra contents of your stomach
    after swallowing canna oil as it is, or inside of a capsule.

When you process in oil gently, for long enough, a solution is formed in such a way when the solvent (in this case, oil) creates
    a persistent 'coat' on the broken down particles of the solute (cannabis glandular material)... once this occurs, you have
    a bioavailable 'solution'.

In other words, we choose the edible solvents we do, not only because they are effective at breaking down cannabis
    glandular material, but because they help our bodies absorb it!

----------------

The specific oil source that you choose, even directly dictates where in the body, your oil is absorbed.... this is why the
    quality of oil matters, as well.

Unless you know for a fact that your liver does not function properly, and that it consistently over-metabolizes both
    food and medications, you should start with medium-chain containing oils such as coconut oil and palm kernal oil,
    or to a lesser extend, clarified butter.

These oils deliver potency via the portal vein and liver, where a kind of chemical conversion takes place as the liver
    metabolizes the oil, causing the majority of the D9-THC to convert to the more powerful 11-OH-THC!!

Choose the wrong oil, however, and you miss out on most, if not all of that conversion... which results in a much
    weaker, shorter-lived experience.

----------------

Common kitchen cooking oils such as olive, corn, canola and soy should be avoided, due to their long-chain

triglyceride content, UNLESS you are one of the very rare people with a liver that consistently over-metabolizes

cannabinoids. In this case I would suggest using either olive, grapeseed (low temps only), or sesame oils, because long-chain

cooking oils promote lymphatic absorption, meaning they almost entirely bypass the liver all together.

-----------

Also, it is a little known fact that you can achieve a RANGE of effects and results, depending how well you activate

your material, and depending how bioavailable your oil is.

-----------

A single strain, is **not** limited to providing only a 'single type' of experience when it is eaten, like it generally provides when it

is smoked.

-----------

Edible cannabis can be more like vaporization, it can provide a range of experiences depending how you treat it, and the

possibilities can be much greater than smoking, or even vaping!

-----------

The below describes the 'range' of effects provided by different levels of activation, their benefits, and the desired outcome for the

patients who choose them.

Starting with:

The least activation, producing a bioavailable solution of mostly carboxyl-intact acid components; Continuing right through to

decarboxylation, and active cannabinoids and chemicals, free of their carboxyl groups; And finally finishing with

degradation and the byproducts of degraded THC.

1.) - Some patients require 'inactive' but bioavailable THCA, CBNA, CBDA and the other (to us) 'inactive acids', and in

flowers those doses can range from .05g to as high as 4.5g, without 'doping up' or intoxicating a patient much, if at all even

at the highest doses. These are cold tinctures, processed with material that is as fresh as possible, without decarbing.

Cold, but most importantly bioavailable extractions (more than just 'juicing' plant matter is required!), provide powerful

anti-cancer/mutagenic, anti-seizure/spasmodic benefits and they provide wonderful pain relief without reducing sensation

of touch, they reduce swelling and inflammation even in lower doses, and especially at higher doses, and they provide especially

wonderful relief for specifically for MS, Parkinson's, as well as for generally frail patients, and also for those suffering

from seizures.

Where it takes literally only a day or two to build up a tolerance to the highest of doses, and these oils and tinctures do

not make a person feel overwhelmed, they are wonderful for treating patients who suffer from very powerful seizures,

and similar attacks. Cannabis is incredibly non-toxic, an incredibly larger dose may be given to both provide relief, and

to control the symptoms of more intense attacks, preventing further injury.

These oils and tinctures are also somewhat mood elevating, but still, for the most part it's without that medicated feeling.

You will have very good pain relief, without losing your sensation of touch.

2.) - The first sensations (following a cold tincture that has had no activation) of an oil or tincture with only limited or partial activation

and decent bioavailability, are primarily cerebral.

In higher doses, these under-processed edibles can cause some mild anxiety and even paranoia in some patients; hyperventilating,

'room-spins', racing-mind/thoughts, even vomiting, these are not uncommon side-effects of over-consumption of THC

and trace amounts of THCA, when they are consumed in quantity, minus some of the important experience-regulating byproducts,

of degradation.

3.) - Then, some patients want to feel relaxed, nicely buzzed but still functional, and they need something that elevates their

mood without gluing them to the couch. In which case edibles decarbed and processed in oil, as described in most of

the tutorials here, are a great place to start.

For those first starting out with edibles, I make sure their first few doses are about half of what they'd normally smoke in

a
    single session, or in a single day if they are heavy smokers. Once they know what to expect, the average dose most

people are satisfied with (but at the sane time they are not too overwhelmed by), is right around the same amount used in a

24 hour period. It's strong enough to either keep them from smoking quite as much in a day, or it actually out-right replaces

their smoking for the day.

So if you smoke a gram a day, you'll want to eat between a half gram, to a gram in a well-processed edible. I like to split

my daily dose into two to three smaller doses. Sometimes I take them in quick succession, sometimes I spread them

out, and finish with a 'sleeper'... Deciding what level of processing you need, can be the tricky part.

4.) - The longer you heat in oil (to a certain extent, up to four or five hours), the more 'body intensive' the sensations

will become, without a noticeable diminish in potency.

At these levels of activation you have highly effective pain relief, that can sometimes be powerful enough to effect

sensitivity to touch.... for instance if you have a low tolerance, you may notice that you become clumsy, or 'loose and wobbly'

on well-activated oil, you may lose some sensation of touch.

Four to six hours in oil at 220 f, or longer,

and I'm either stuck to the couch, or falling fast asleep!

5.) Any longer than a few hours at such temperatures will reduce THC content. But while 'perceived potency' diminishes, and

the ratio of THC begins to fall, the material becomes overloaded with byproducts of degraded THC, primarily in the form of

delta-8-THC and CBN, and when combined they are powerfully sedative.

While their effects may seem weak during the time you can keep your eyes open, these oils and tinctures usually knock a patient

out cold within 45 - 60 minutes, leaving them well rested upon waking the following morning (or afternoon)!

------------------

TL;DR :

Long story short, if you have a VERY low tolerance, and you don't have regular access to quality oils,
    you can feel 'some' amount of sensation from eating ENOUGH raw cannabis.

But a person or patient whose body is accustom to the regular, rapid and reliable delivery provided by
    quality medical grade oils
    , or regular frequent smoking, will generally feel nothing from even
    under-processed edibles such as firecrackers, due to their reduced bioavailability, almost regardless how
    much material is used to make them.
    The 'worst-case-scenario' quickie edibles (and raw cannabis), simply can not keep up with the rate of
    delivery provided by a quality oil.

------------------

Hope this helps clear things up a bit. :wave:

7. Just wanted to add a tidbit to the robust off-topic discussion going on in this thread:

Cannabis plants produce molecules that activate animals' endocannabinoid systems as a defense, most likely against insect predation. This is the evolutionary purpose of most naturally-produced drugs: nicotine, cocaine, morphine... they all make life difficult for the small insects that tend to consume a lot of plant material relative to their body size. Thus, insects eating a plant typically receive a much higher dose of a drug than a human does, and the dose either kills or puts the insect out of commission such that it is an easy target to be eaten by one of the insect's own predators. Remember, too, that every animal has a slightly different metabolism, and a natural product that must be heated to produce an effect in a human might have no problem producing an effect in a different animal (if that animal's body happens to make the correct decarboxylating enzyme, for example).

It is not a coincidence that plants produce molecules that bind and activate receptors in our brains. As others have pointed out, our brains are the product of billions of years of evolution, and we share many of the same receptors as insects.

We did not evolve endocannabinoid receptors in response to cannabis use -- they are present in most animals. Nor did cannabis evolve THC for us -- until cannabis was domesticated by humans in the recent past, it didn't care about humans. Cannabis evolved THC to overwhelm insect predators with drugs, causing them to learn, or evolve to leave the plant alone.

8. What if you were to boil it, then eat it :)

9. eating raw should in theory get you high but it is wasteful because the product leaves your system before all the THC can be activated and if you cook it you activate most of it before it goes in I know what I am saying I hope you get it too

10. #110 wak, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
    Instead of pointless debating and throwing around pseudoscience why not just test it yourself?

One day go through the arduous process of cooking up some cannabutter or fire crackers or whatever you're comfortably sure will make you high and a couple of days later just try eating a couple of grams sprinkled over a nice meal, then compare. That's the only way that you personally are going to know for sure :)

11. Anyone see weed Country last Night? Ex cop couldnt walk Turned to eating Nugs and can Walk now

12. I don't use cannabis, but I believe God gave us all these plants and herbs and trees to eat. So why not eat it? Most poisonous plants give off warnings to people who pay attention. Weed certainly has plenty of uses.

13. lol thank you for the laugh. I needed that. Not being facicious, just reading so much info your post broke the monotony. +rep!

Bad part is we are both here so we are at least a little interested in methods of ingestion.

14. One of the most intense experiences eating pot I had was with raw marijuana. This was years ago when pot wasnt as strong as it is right now.

This was schwaggy pot, also at that time my tolerance was almost non existant, which I think was a key factor for the effect that was reached.

Story short, I took a handful dose (stuck my hand in the bag and grab a lot of weed) and mix it with a yogurt i bought, ate it.. I would say it was around 4-6 grams of cleaned weed. (no stems or seeds).

This was one of the first times eating weed, and I was tripping balls, audio hallucinations, I was shifted in time and place, (I was at a beach town), during my high I was in some ruins in the mountains.

Since then I moved and the 20 dollar quarter pound are just a memory, so I cant experiment.

It would be interesting if someone gives it a try.

Hi This is my very first post on this forum, I signed up specifically to answer this because I have a couple ounces of keif i got for free and i've been smoking it everyday  i just have so much,  I filled a size "double 00" capsule with raw keif about an hour ago and yes i'm high,

it's mild to medium and hard to describe, i take CBD daily but this is different it's not a body high, and it's also not a cerebral high like from sativa.   But my skin is really tingly and it feels kinda cool.

If there are any further developments i'll try to edit this post but for now yeah your right, eating raw cannabis totally works and I think about it like this.

if i was hungry as fuck, and there was a whole marijuanna plant, i wouldnt just eat a few leaves I would fill my stomach, so yeah i'm with the stoned ape theory.

HA HA, bro every body has a nightmare edible story,  i saw buddah fly by me with closed eye hallucinations and so many others hallucinations as well, it was a serious psychosis I was having.    I'm new here i'mma look for a thread wherre people discuss their edible nighmare stories, lol

I KNOW RighT!

Then what do you say to the cops when he asks "hey why's your teeth all black"

LOL,  it's all good, someone always has to try and sell a wolf Ticket to kick it........................

18. Well if you really want to know. YES you can get high eating weed. You can get REALLY high. I have tried it before with 1 grams worth (dime-bag) of Afgoo. i grinned it up with my grinder or you can break it with your hands DOESN'T matter how you take it RAW. After grinding i put it all in my mouth and chased it with some apple juice. It took like 5 hours to kick in though, but once it did kicked in..... whooooooooo i was beyond high!!!!   :smoke:  :smoking:  :bongin:  :eek:  :gc_rocks:  Oh and yes you still get cotton mouth, the munchies and your eyes will get hell low and maybe red depending on the person. welcome :yay: 

19. This is an old post i am bringing back to life. Apologies to the GC community for being naive.

Anyway, We also have "beef receptors" in our digestive systems. We get protien and fat from the beef. But it has to be cooked or we may get semanila or e-coli. Same with weed. I would not eat it raw because I don't know what may be in that bud. Maybe Ebola or some shit IDK.

20. #120 BloodBooger, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    Hey Oldschool...how come two pages back in feb. 2011 it said you had over 30,000 posts and now in 2014 it says you have half that many? Wtf is up wid dat? My bad...oldsKool vs oldsChool...ne'mind...