The Truth about AgSil 16h / Potassium Silicate

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Juan Orfa, Aug 17, 2016.

?

Do you currently use Potassium Silicate in your Organic cultivation process?

1. Nope

2. Yes, but I will/am willing to seek out a better alternative.

3. Yes, I will continue applications and believe it is fairly considered an organic practice.

4. WTF are you talking about?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hello fellow organic enthusiasts,

From the information I've gathered in all my searches and in the sticky threads, it seems like a decent amount of "Organic" cultivators are using a 'Potassium Silicate' source, most commonly AgSil 16H.

I want to start an open and honest conversation about its place in the organic cultivators garden. There seems to be a misconception surrounding the product all together.

It is true that 'AgSil 16 H', or 'Potassium Silicate', is allowed for organic applications, but it is not an organic fertilizer.

Please take a moment to understand that I am not attempting to attack anyone's method or ideology, but instead sharing and seeking information. I am a synthetic cultivator attempting to make a transition to truly organic practices. I feel that turning our backs on the elephant in the room(AgSil) is not benefitial to our community or true to the practice we proudly claim. There are a lot of knowledgable and experienced gardeners here, our time and knowledge is the most valuable and powerful tool we have. I'm certain with a combined effort we can find the truth and quality substitute(horsetail?).

Most information will be taken from this article, I encourage everyone do their own research, read the article yourself, but you can find a summarized version below.

I would love to hear/see any and everyone's opinion/information relevant to the topic. If you are going to make factual claims, please bring substantial literature/documentation/sourcing.

Here's what I found on the subject.

"All TAP reviewers agreed that the petitioned substance should be considered synthetic. Two reviewers felt it should be prohibited. One of these reviewers cited the nature of potassium silicate as a highly soluble synthetic fertilizer, and also questioned its effectiveness as a fungicide. The other dissenting reviewer raised similar concerns, questioning the need for silica amendments in organic systems and the legitimacy of supporting evidence. Both of these reviewers indicated that use of the substance in organics should be revisited if and when the need, effectiveness, and mode of action are better demonstrated. The third reviewer was in favor of adding the substance to the List, with annotations. The reviewer viewed the potential benefits as significant, and felt that the substance ultimately is compatible with a system of organic agriculture."
    (Source: USDA.gov)

"How It's Made:
    Potassium silicates are manufactured using a calcination process that combines silica sand (SiO2) and potassium carbonate (K2CO3) at 1100-2300°F for up to 15 minutes (NOP Petition; Rawlyk and McDonald 2001). The two substances fuse into glass, which can be dissolved with high-pressure steam to form a clear, slightly viscous fluid, or cooled and ground into a powder. Carbon dioxide is evolved* from this reaction. The solution can be dried to form hydrous powder crystals of potassium silicate. "

* = evolution of carbon dioxide n. An expression of the rate at which carbon dioxide is produced by the body, usually given as the microliters of carbon dioxide produced in 1 hour by 1 milligram dry weight of tissue.
    (Source: Google; Dictionary.com)

[​IMG]
    Notice all three TAP reviewers agreed that this substance is synthetic.

"The probability of environmental contamination during manufacture, use, misuse, or disposal of the substance:
    As outlined in the “How Made” section, potassium silicate is made via calcination, or thermal conversion into an ashlike powder. The substance is produced by reacting high-silica sand and mined potassium carbonate, yielding potassium silicate and CO2 gas. The manufacturing process does not appear to pose a substantial risk of environmental contamination, outside of the upstream combustion of fossil fuels to power the reaction. There is no mention in the petition or in other literature of impurities resulting from the reaction, or the use of catalysts other than heat.

While the petitioner intends to use naturally occurring sand as a primary raw ingredient, silica-laden compounds used as silicon fertilizers for conventional agriculture are commonly sourced from industrial byproducts. These byproducts, referred to ubiquitously as slag, are impurities precipitated from the refining of mined materials and smelting of metal ores. Depending on the source, slags may also contain heavy metals associated with their origin or processing (e.g., uranium in phosphate ore, nickel, and zinc). Nonetheless, the use of silica slag fertilizers in agriculture is widespread, particularly in sugarcane fields and paddy rice systems. In conventional agriculture, calcium silicate slag (CaAl2Si2O8 or CaSiO3) is commonly used as a silica fertilizer (Tisdale et al 1999)."

Let's set our egos aside and find a solution.:passtheshit:

P.S. I will update this thread as new information becomes available.

• Like Like x 10
  2. I stopped using potassium silicate several months ago. A quick google search will reveal that potassium silicate is approved by the NOP as a pesticide, not for use in irrigation water. Also, as you pointed out, it is synthetic and requires a great deal of energy to be produced.

Comfrey is an Si accumulator and very prolific. Great for folks like me that don't have access to wild horsetail ferns.

• Like Like x 16
  3. Thanks for the reply @donothinggardening!

I am cultivating comfrey myself, do you have a preferred application method? Composting, Anaerobic Fertilizer Tea, Mulching, etc?

I intend on composting when possible, and just began an AFT trial.

Thanks again for the input!

• Like Like x 3
  4. I'm always looking for reasons to buy one less thing that is not needed....

I don't have a say weather or not it should or should not be used but I am interested...

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mulching and composting are the two main methods that I have employed myself. There are some other members on here who have tried anaerobic teas and a method of making "comfrey syrup", but I don't personally have any experience with those. I have read that AFT can have a pretty strong aroma, so be prepared!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Also I think there is a rock dust called olivine that is over 50% silica but I've not heard much about it. I'm wondering if any of the other no tillers have any input on it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. That source of silica is not available and takes longer than for our needs. I like the idea of using plant provided silica sources. I don't like salty crusty bottle caps. There are a couple folks I've seen mention they prefer to foliar only. So I guess it boils down to how bad you want silica in the soil and patience. I don't really care if someone uses it and I don't think anyone cares if I don't.

A lot of people also say that they find it does lessen heat stress and helps make sturdier branches but I don't think it matters if it's foliar or irrigated. Lessening heat stress and making plants sturdier with thicker leaves seems to me like a pest prevention or plant health measure.

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. It's not. Gimik spent some time explaining to me that silica in that form takes weatherizing to break it down into a useable form and it takes a shit ton of time. I was asking about expanded shale because the bag said it releases silica in the water. Hahaha! Best sources that are available are plant materials because it's released as it decomposes.

I've used comfrey for mulch. Seems to work. If using true comfrey, you have to dry out the leaves because it can root easily when you use it as a top dress.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hey guys,

Nice to see some strong and informational posts this morning.

I also like the idea of using plant sourcing as often as possible, but as mentioned above, it often boils down to ones patience and time-of necessity.

If you are using rice hulls in your soil, applying or mixing Malted Barley Powder into your soil, or composting using Dynamic Nutrient Accumulators(horsetail, stinging nettle, comfrey, dandelions, etc), and even using manure compost, you are likely incorporating an organic silicon source into your medium already!

"...leafy green vegetables also provide ample amounts of this nutrient. Other food sources for silicon dioxide include asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes, parsley, sunflower seeds and grain husks, such as from barley, oats, millet and wheat."
    (Source: livestrong.com

"Silicon is present in beer in the soluble form of orthosilicic acid (OSA), which yields 50% bioavailability, making beer a major contributor to silicon intake in the Western diet. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), dietary silicon (Si), as soluble OSA, may be important for the growth and development of bone and connective tissue, and beer appears to be a major contributor to Si intake. Based on these findings, some studies suggest moderate beer consumption may help fight osteoporosis, a disease of the skeletal system characterized by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue.

The researchers examined a variety of raw material samples and found little change in the silicon content of barley during the malting process. The majority of the silicon in barley is in the husk, which is not affected greatly during malting. The malts with the higher silicon contents are pale colored which have less heat stress during the malting process. The darker products, such as the chocolate, roasted barley and black malt, all have substantial roasting and much lower silicon contents than the other malts for reasons that are not yet known. The hop samples analyzed showed surprisingly high levels of silicon with as much as four times more silicon than is found in malt. However, hops are invariably used in a much smaller quantity than is grain. Highly hopped beers, however, would be expected to contain higher silicon levels.

No silicon was picked up from silica hydrogel used to stabilize beer, even after a period of 24 hours and neither is there pick up from diatomaceous earth filter aid.

The study also tested 100 commercial beers for silicon content and categorized the data according to beer style and source. The average silicon content of the beers sampled was 6.4 to 56.5 mg/L.

"Beers containing high levels of malted barley and hops are richest in silicon," concludes Dr. Bamforth. "Wheat contains less silicon than barley because it is the husk of the barley that is rich in this element. While most of the silicon remains in the husk during brewing, significant quantities of silicon nonetheless are extracted into wort and much of this survives into beer."
    (Source: science-daily.com)

The debate begins whether or not orthosilicic acid, being soluble and bio-available(usable by humans and animals), is available for plant use.

It may seem crazy, but is it possible to remove the alcohol and other potentially harmful chemical compounds from a beer? Maybe one could apply the remaining product to your soil as an immediately available silicon source...

• Like Like x 6
  10. @Juan Orfa just curious what it is you seek. Are you looking for natural substitutes for K, Si, or both, or just a show of hands of how many people use Agsil or ProTek?

Or, are you looking for substaniated and documehted benefit to plants given Si?

As you transition to organic gardening I think you should be asking yourself why you are doing so; am i seeking an official organic certification (NOP for example), i feel organic grown medicine is medicinally purer than other forms of caanabis, does Si really benefit plant growth, .....?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Silicic Acid or Orthosilicic Acid is available for plant uptake.

"Silicon (Si) in a chemically combined form is ubiquitous in nature. The Si content of soils can vary dramatically from <1 to 45 % dry weight (Sommer et al., 2006), and its presence in the form of silicic acid [Si(OH)4] (or its ionized form, Si(OH)3O−, which predominates at pH > 9) allows its uptake by plants. Silicic acid is generally found in soils at concentrations ranging from 0·1 to 0·6 mM (Epstein, 1994) but, to our knowledge, there has been no evidence of the occurrence of biosilicification reactions in the soil. Although not traditionally thought of as an element essential to the life cycle of plants, with the exception of the early-diverging Equisetaceae (Chen and Lewin, 1969), certain algae and diatoms, Si is found in plants at concentrations ranging from 0·1 to 10 % (=103–105 mg kg−1; dry weight basis), an amount equivalent to, or even exceeding, several macronutrients (Epstein, 1994). Plants deprived of Si are often weaker structurally and more prone to abnormalities of growth, development and reproduction and it is the only nutrient which is not detrimental when collected in excess (Epstein, 1999). This Botanical Briefing aims to cover aspects of Si uptake and its role as an alleviator of biotic and abiotic stress, and also to provide insight into how investigations into the surrounding plant cell-wall environment are helping to elucidate the role of chemical influences in the formation of polymeric silica in plants. [‘Si’ is the symbol for the element silicon and is also used as a generic term when the nature of the silicon compound(s) is not being specified. Si(OH)4 is silicic acid, more correctly named orthosilicic acid; it is the fundamental building block of silicas and is itself the simplest silica. Silica is amorphous, hydrated and usually polymerized material produced from Si(OH)4.]"

Si accumulation has been found to a greater extent, but not exclusively, in monocotyledonous plants. Plants of the families Poaceae, Equisetaceae and Cyperaceae show high Si accumulation (>4 % Si), the Cucurbitales, Urticales and Commelinaceae show intermediate Si accumulation (2–4 % Si), while most other species demonstrate little accumulation."

(Source: Oxford Journals)

This article is a must read for anyone interested in Silicon's relationship with plants and soil.

http://m.aob.oxfordjournals.org/content/100/7/1383.full

12. Great question Possum, it's nice to see your interest in the topic!

I am personally transitioning towards organics for educational, environmental, economic, moral and strategic marketing reasons.

I like to create educational and informative conversation, social expression of ideas and information drives creativity.

I also understand there is a lot of misconception surrounding cannabis cultivation, and a lot of debate about various organic techniques. If there are organic farmers who are using potassium silicate when it may not be necessary, why not have that conversation?

People like the stomp around and proclaim that cannabis is an all natural plant and medicine unlike the synthetic pills currently being produced by the pharmaceutical companies. The reality is modern commercial cultivation of any plant, but especially cannabis has a potential to be incredibly taxing on our environment. Consider all of the electricity, water, fertilizers, and waste water that will be used/created. I don't want to find myself managing a 150,000 W indoor garden, or green houses on acreage at the expense of our local and global environment.

The poll is for reference of how popular use is amongst the community, and wether or not people care(should I share the information I am finding).

13. I get it 100% and esp about the kW consumption. Ludicrous really.

If you are going to get into composting there are many, many vegetables known to contain vey high levels of the minerals we seek and they can usually be purchased inexpensively by the case from your local supermarket produce manager. Run this plant matter through the composting process and you'll be as all-natural as one can get. Cucumber, banannas, grapefruit skins, spinach, kale, etc. etc. A lot of folks will complain aboutv'too much water content in vegetables for composting'.

Jeebus it never ends.

I have a pint size container of ProTekT and use the 5ml dosage 2-3 times over a 5 month period FWIW. No biggie. I used to roast cucumber and bananna peels for the K but no more. ProTek. I consume 100% of my own efforts so I dont mind so much using it in the minute quantities i do. Growers choice really. Part of that "better/best" argument people likevto make. Me? Results are what counts and in your situation consistent results should, i assume, be of paramount importance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. When I was reading older info from several years ago, the carbon footprint of something was taken into consideration but now I never see mention of it. When I took the master recycler compost classes there was huge emphasis on transportation of garbage specifically but shipping products because they're cheaper is quite huge and I understand why because I'm broke too. Shipping of compost, fertilizers by the pound or bagged soil is not a sustainable practice, uses massive amounts of fuel, producing a massive carbon foot print you could easily avoid by buying from a locally owned nursery that not only supports that family business but keeps that dollar circulating within the community several times before leaving. This boosts the local economy which effects you more than the national economy.

Buying bagged soil or compost that has been shipped in bulk on a pallet one time to a store then sold by a local owner individually creates less transportation fuel costs from one shipment and then sold individually than shipping each bag all over the nation.

Not only is this reducing the impact on the earth but saves money too depending on what you're buying. Compost and soil bags being one of them. Shipping on one bag of baby bu was $27 and the soil was priced online at $16 a bag. I drove 35 miles and bought several bags costing less in gas plus I saved money while supporting a local nursery. I do order online but I also bought Alaska Peat for $22 because the local business needs support more than Home Depot.

Instead of potassium silicate specifically, maybe a better conversation would be carbon footprint of cannabis growing would go over better. People have brought up this point many times but it doesn't really go far. A different approach perhaps. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. I mainly feed it to the worms and let them do the heavy work, resulting in a speecy, spicey VC. Freeze the fresh leaves first and it breaks down in a matter of days. I usually remove the stems, because they take so long in the bin. Usually leave them on the ground next to the plant to break down.

Wet

• Like Like x 9
  16. I think you don't need beer, just the barley as you stated yourself above. I mean, this is where the silicon in beer comes from isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  17. I've had a small sack of potassium silicate powder for a couple years now and at the rate I use it it should last me another ten years.
    I only use it in very small amounts to emulsify neem oil. I could personally care less about adding even more silica to my growing medium with the inputs I already use.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. So after reading this it seems I am getting silica from many other sources and seems dumb for me to buy another bottle of protek ....

One less thing I gotta buy ....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Silica IS one of the very best things to emulsify any kind of oil - whether it be cold pressed neem or any of the essential oils used in our organic pesticide sprays. I highly suggest the concentrate powder over the liquids sold at The Hydro Store, though - you're paying for 95% water...

J

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1