The true test: my first no-till.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Nugz626, May 9, 2018.

1. Damn... I just bought some more today at Tractor Supply Co. in order to get some in there. I some-what milled it to finer particles and added two cups per pot (15-20 gal). Kind of massaged it in 3-6 in deep and carefully around the roots. I also have clover, vench, rye, and bean seeds that should be sprouting soon. I don’t really want to tear into the pots because they look healthy and happy and I don’t want to mix in the cover crop seeds too deep. Can I keep everything undisturbed and monitor?

2. I would do as Wet suggested and just remember the first grow is always a little wonky. After you harvest these, you’ll be able to make adjustments to the soil mix and each grow afterwards should be better as time goes on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Of course you can.

But, I would still strongly suggest spending the $4.50 and getting the bag of Pulverized Dolomite from Lowes or HD. Top dress some or most of the pots and then you can really monitor.

BTW, the dolo at Tractor supply all had "Hydrated Lime" in really small letters at the bottom of the 100lb bags and I avoided this. The pulverized stuff simply said 'Derived from Dolomite limestone' and that's what you want, untreated crushed rock.

LOL, I got the same stuff at Tractor supply, having the same "good idea". I was still finding chunks of oyster shell 5 years later, not broken down in the slightest. I finally dumped it on my wife's flower bed just to get it out of the way.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Great info, appreciate all the help and pointers. Gonna grab some lime and top dress, is there a good amount per cu ft? Or just mix a cup or two into the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. 1cup/cf should do you fine.

I've since increased mine to 1 1/2cups/cf, mainly because I use a good bit of pine bark mulch, but I'm really not sure if the pine bark is all that acidic or not, but the slight increase has not caused any problems. My tap water is nearly RO with an average PPM of 28, so dissolved carbonates is not much of a concern. I'm very lucky there. High PPM's can really be a problem.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  6. Right on, that works. Gonna take everyone’s advice and add some to the mix next chance I get..

• Like Like x 1
  7. #27 Nugz626, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Mixed in some lime. Cover crop is blowing up right now. I went fishing over Memorial Day and used all the left over fish parts to make a fresh fertilizer. First time making it, here’s the recipe.. fish, dried leaves, some compost, a couple bananas, kelp and some molasses water. I was thinking that the bananas would assist in adding sugar and potassium. Good/bad idea?

Plants look happy. Second one in was dropped during xplant (dark helmet) she looked rough for a week, but she’s happy now.

View attachment 2451728

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Banana’s are an awesome flowering fertilizer! I make my own with equal weight chopped banana and brown sugar. Ferments for 2 weeks or more depending on temps.

If you don’t want to do all that, just save your organic banana peels till you have a large handful, soak them in water with Humic Acid for 48hrs and water in.

Freedom in Sustainable Gardening

• Like Like x 1
  9. Been dealing with some ants and aphids so far. Tried neem, azamax, and tanlin for the soil. Did some reading and learned that you have to lose the ants to lose the aphids. Ants hate cinnamon so I powered everything with it and so far so good. Plants are loving life starting to pick up speed so I did some training on the taller ones. Left the Dark helmet untouched, she’s a little behind from the transplant mistake.
    Yesterday I gave them a 48hr compost tea. And today I did some training on the taller plants. Just a little lst for now.
    Been cutting the cover crop down every couple days too.

Thanks! @Prepper420 I was thinking the fish fert could be diluted and be used in flower because of the added bananas? What do you think? Possibly be added into a tea Image1527903934.283391.jpg Image1527903947.394260.jpg Image1527903958.432730.jpg

Fish fert
    Image1527903970.799544.jpg

10. I don’t see why you couldn’t use both, Fish & Banana Tea. I would start using it once a week and see how the plants like it and make adjustments from there.

• Like Like x 2
  11. So I’ve been stirring this fish Fert and I noticed some larvae in there..don’t know how it happened but it’s gag worthy! Damn fly must of snuck in there when I was stirring.. Can I just suffocate them bastards and strain it before use when it’s ready?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Going up north all weekend, chopped down the cover crop, top dressed with malted barley, and pinched all the tops to bring lowers up. Gave them all a healthy watering with some soluble silica. Hoping to come back to some more even canopy’s.

• Like Like x 1
  13. If it we're me, I'd just LITFA these plants for awhile. They don't need anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. It’s been pretty damn hot outside and it’s only going to get hotter on Sunday. Looking at the mid 90s for a couple days. Gonna raise the humidity to help plants cope with the high temps. Image1529006654.297396.jpg Image1529006669.545417.jpg
    So far they haven’t stressed over high 80s so hopefully they won’t cook in there..

• Like Like x 2
  15. Well the past couple of weeks have been crazy to say the least. Got through the high temps, but had some more serious problems on a personal level. Long story short, had a grease fire take out a part of my garage, half bath, and get into the attic. There’s been people in an out all week. Needless to say I’ve been neglecting the girls out back. I usually run home at night and check on them. I sprayed for aphids again and gave them a small dose of home made fish emulsion at the start of the week. I hope that our house is fixed by harvest or I’m going to have to figure out a way to smell down. I don’t need any more attention. Image1530101158.497469.jpg Image1530101169.873439.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Oh man, fires are no joke! Glad to hear you are not hurt!

17. No they aren’t, to make things worse, the weekend before the fire I hit a gas line, redoing my landscaping. Just a shitty couple of weeks haha

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hey man that sucks you've had all that craziness, but doesn't look like the plants know a thing about it - looking good!