The Trend Toward Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Storm Crow, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Something I noticed about the trend toward legalization and the number of years that have passed. Now correlation does not imply causation, but still.....

US Support for Cannabis Legalization Remains at Record 68% November 17, 2022 “Gallup pollsters first asked Americans in 1969 “Do you think the use of marijuana should be legal, or not?” support was at 12%. It wasn’t until 2013 that a majority of Americans (58%) supported reform—the year after voters in Colorado and Washington passed adult-use cannabis ballot measures.”

In 2022 we have 68% in support of legal cannabis and in 1969 it was 12%. 2022- 1969 = 53 years

Looking at the percentages, we have 68% - 12% = 56%. 53 vs 56- that's pretty close!

So we are gaining an average of just a bit over 1% per year.

In the article, “Americans overwhelmingly say marijuana should be legal for recreational or medical use” (Pew Research Center - 16 April 2021) they say that "As more states, including Virginia and New York, continue to legalize marijuana, an overwhelming share of U.S. adults (91%) say either that marijuana should be legal for medical and recreational use (60%) or that it should be legal for medical use only (31%). Fewer than one-in-ten (8%) say marijuana should not be legal for use by adults.”
    That 8% isn’t going to last very long at this rate! :hide:

Unfortunately, that 8% contains far too many of our politicians. How about writing them a letter? You can easily find their addresses online. I still have my very first, decades old letter from a politician that oh so politely said "No way in hell am I going to support legalizing cannabis!", yet here I am in California with a pipeful of legal cannabis next to me. Write that letter- you might even be the tipping point letter that wakes up a politician to the fact that more people want cannabis legalized than voted for them. (When did any politician EVER get 91% of the vote? :laughing:)

Here's the links to the articles-
    US Support for Cannabis Legalization Remains at Record 68% US Support for Cannabis Legalization Remains at Record 68%

“Americans overwhelmingly say marijuana should be legal for recreational or medical use” Americans overwhelmingly say marijuana should be legal for recreational or medical use

Granny :wave:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. If you think letters get read by politicians or make differences, you're very mistaken.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The letters are read by a "bean counter" aide who notes whether they are for or against a subject. The "bean counter" then reports on how public opinion is leaning. When the letters on one side heavily out-weigh the other, the politician will "do some soul-searching" and change their public stance!

Granny

• Like Like x 1