The thing about religion

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by CheechMarley420, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Is it needs no facts to prove what you believe there, the definition of religion starts as, "A set of beliefs.."
    I believe ps3 is better than xbox360, no facts, well a few, but mainly just because i like it

I think that people with no religion like trying to get people who have a solid belief to give it up more than people with a religion like to get others to belive what they believe. Well i know there are some crazy people who say "Believe in god or i will hate you!!!!" But whenever i have been in a discussion on this board giving reasons for what i believe, all people do is shoot my shit down. I dont say "Well your a stupid piece of shit you dont believe in anything" I say, "Ok have fun not believing in anything, peace"

Of course its easy to shoot believing in something down if you believe in nothing

Like if someone says "I like comedy movies" another says "I like action flicks" and someone says "Movies blow dick, theyre filled with actors who dont live what they act"
    What are you gunna say to that person to get them to like movies, nothing. Are you gunna change the peoples views who like comedies?

I hope this makes sense because it makes alot of sense to me, but im ripped as hell off a fat bowl of white widow haha.
    But do you guys understand what im saying? And say anything you want except stupid shit dissing me because i choose to have a religion

2. In my opinion, Religion is just a collection of beliefs in which people dedicate themselves to, so that they have a way to cope with life's unexpected surprises such as the death of a loved one. It's a lot easier to believe that your loved one is moving on to a better place, and in time you will reunite in “Heaven”. Who wants to believe that when you die your brain stops producing activity therefore ceasing your very existence. Try to think back to before you were born; you can't because your brain was not functional, just as it will not be functional when you die. Your brain is what in all actuality makes you, you, not your heart or any other organ. They just contribute to the health of your brain, so when your brain stops working you, cease to exist. If there is a life after death, you could not acknowledge it, for you would not exist. I also believe it is used to scare people into a clean and moral life. If you commit murder will you spend eternity suffering in hell? How is it that “god” makes exceptions for war casualties, do all soldiers who kill go to hell as well? I don't believe that we are a divine species and for all I know, there may or may not be a greater being out there, but there is definitely no divine guidance or intervention here on earth. The question of existence? Well in a universe of endless possibilities it wouldn't be odd if there was an even greater form of life out there.

3. Wow... yeah the guy above me basically took the words right out of my mouth.. i think as far as a higher power goes... maybe their is one and maybe their isn't but we will never know and if their is it defiantly is not any god as perpetuated by these religious groups...

4. i dont think religion is a set of beliefs. i think it is a set of truth which you can choose if you beleive or not.

reading from the previous responses, i dont think you guys got the intentions of this thread. i think the op was trying to say that whenever there is a discussion of religion, there are always those who try to refute it, and well reading the second post, he seems just about right. that post has only input on what he thinks religion is and his outlook on life and absolutely ignores the purpose of this thread.

to the op i think im starting to see that on these forums, there are more people trying to refute religions than those who try to preach their religions.

if anyone wants to chat about religions feel free to message me on aim and i would gladly reply.

5. #5 Prone, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
    Absolutely. I would say "Religion" was a method of pulling a large part of Mankind up by his bootstraps. But once you have your boots on you should question and reason as you walk Life for faith is only an assumption. If God is, God is. But all religions are a creation of Man. It springs up around thoughts of God but God had no religion in The Garden, or since. Many religions existed when said "Messiah" arrived...you think his intent was to create another religion? or reveal a kingdom of God that could exist? Those vain ritualistic duties of religion is only Man's attempt of reconciliation. The trouble is, once you conceive any ideal of God, the moment you ascribe a characteristic such as "He" or "Good" you have corrupted it by your human limits of understanding. The God of a Religion is thus mingled with the limitations of Man's thinking. Often misguided. God has no religion. He once existed in a "House" because of the limits of Man's Mind. But now he is known to exist in the Mind of Mankind. He exists in his Temple which Man is. The whole point is to "Know" God...not go to church on Sundays and be goody goody by repeating rumor as fact and calling it faith...being better than them...or saved while others perish. We perish together, good or evil, some with an assumptive faith based on words not fully understood, expecting resurrection in "Eternal Life" which is likely to be an unexpected bit of reasoning. Not what we expect from any religion. We are Man mindful of God, we should not pretend to be otherwise.

And Mankind is capable of giving birth to an idea of a God which could exist with us in a place where Time does not matter. The power is in a "One" which gives Darkness or Enlightenment to the minds of men. Which I think may indeed exist. There are streams of Enlightenment and streams of Darkness running through our Universe in regards to the minds of men. And the thoughts and deeds of a mind has influence.

And pick up a worm. Notice the tube of Life consuming at one end and excreting at the other end. This is Life and this is really all we are, a consuming and excreting Tube. Sure, we have a few design changes...a spine...arms...legs...a Mind...but the Tube is still what it is and is still in us, our base foundation. Not hard to find either.
    ---

In other words, according to the scriptures you believe:

The Word of God is Milk unto the Babes.
    The Word of God is Bread to the Young.
    But Milk and Bread is no diet for a full grown Man.
    A full grown Man must Roar for the Strong Meat of the Word of God because of his ability to Reason.
    And Roar he will because of all the blood and gore mingled with God in his Religions. He must pull himself up by his own bootstraps or forever dwell in the Darkness of Blood and Gore. This is the Way.

6. Big faith belongs the the babes and the feeble.
    a little faith belongs to the wise.

Faith can believe anything over any reason.
    You can believe there is a big green elephant living in your ice-box leaving foot tracks in your jello...and expect to believe it because no body can prove you wrong.

But who knows? Maybe there really is a big green elephant living in your ice-box leaving foot tracks in your jello. Just my faith is not that big...nor should it be.

Carry on.

7. the difference is you dont kill people if they like action flicks over comedies.

it doesnt crush whole nations, put people into poverty and hold science back thousands of years because you like ps3.

apples and oranges my friend

btw i laughed at the guy that called it a set of truths? ok so xenu with his 80 billion year old space ass and that bob the builder with miracles you call jesus are all truths

8. well if you take a look into history, when the islamic empire ruled over most of asia, the non islamic areas who was under the contol of the islamics actually flourish, moreso than before they were under islamic control. they were very tolerant of other beliefs and still protected them as citizens of the nation. science including medicine and mathematics flourished. it was a golden age. so when you say it puts people into poverty and holds back science, then i see that you were completely igonrant of the history, and the only reason you are here posting in this thread is to argue and refute religion. if you werent a believer in the first place, then what do you gain in arguing previous posts. i think all you wanted to do is put a bit of doubt in my heart, and walk away as if you gained the world, but i am stronger than that.

Edit; i dont know what a xenu is but i dont believe in Isa. thats jesus.

9. The thing about religion is that if provable proof of a higher power existed it would actually undermine religion.

Religions are based on faith, or acceptance, despite the absence of proof, in a system of beliefs. If there was a way of proving a religion as correct then the basis of that religion becomes null.