The Theist Lounge

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Verdurous, Aug 5, 2012.

1. I don't feel superior to either side, I simply accept both perspectives for what they are. I actually don't look at things from a creationist standpoint. I make no similar claims. I'm not religious either because of the lack of substantiation. I make no factual claims concerning religion. I understand redshift quite well. You seem to be the one with the arrogant assumptions. Are you aware that the claim "there is no God" is just as fallacious as the claim "there is a God" since there is no evidence that the hypothesis is actually rooted in reality? I'm agnostic for good reasons and the fact that I lean on the side of theism mostly has to do with the fact that bible thumpers ironically aren't usually as abusive as people like you. Though my best friends are atheists. lol

2. As I fellow atheist, could you please not troll this thread. We don't like the theists trolling our lounge, but we can't expect them not to when atheists troll theirs. There are plenty of threads where you can debate theists on a variety of topics. The OP posted in his thread, created for theists to have a casual place to gather and he doesn't deserve attacks on his credibility and or arrogance. While I agree with you philosophically, I disagree with your approach on this thread. The Lounges are intended to remain debate and drama free. Help us keep it that way please. :)

3. I was unaware that debating was not allowed here and i apologize, but i do think i raise some good points worthy of a debate. Good luck keeping this thread free of debate though considering the atheist to theist ratio.....:smoking:

4. Abusive seems a little harsh, but i respect your point.....

5. Meh, immediately resorting to rash assumptions and ad hom is pretty abusive by my standards. I'm a nice person and I try to be respectful of other people's perspectives, so I expect the same.

6. It's not that debate is not allowed in the lounges, but it is universally unacceptable. I guess that's the best I could put it. We all love to debate on religion and spirituality otherwise we wouldn't be on this section of the forums. However, the lounges have become places for people to just discuss things casually with like-minded people without any drama. If you come over the the atheist lounge you'll see that. We discuss religion, post memes, etc... but we also talk about cannabis, sports, our jobs, etc.. It's a nice place to discuss casual life things with other atheists. We get the occasional drive-by angry theist that comes in to disturb the peace but normally the atheist lounge remains just for atheists. This is the theist lounge and as you can already see it's not as filled or active as the atheist lounge. They need a place to avoid us as much as we need one to avoid them. They deserve their own lounge where they can discuss their beliefs, their lives, sports, weed, etc.. without drama. I'm just trying to keep the respect and peace in tact with them in this lounge so they don't invade ours. I enjoy our atheist lounge without drama. Thanks brother. See you in other threads and in our lounge.

7. I'm bumping this for those of us who aren't strictly Christian and because it outlines a lot of my beliefs, which I believe some people have generalized to be more closed than they actually are.

8. Glad you did. Seems a better place to discuss certain things from.

9. I consider myself a theist because I believe God is very real but I don't think humans could possibly know what God's teachings or intentions truly are so I avoid committing to any single religious belief system.

Does that make me a theist? Anyone else in the same boat?

10. Yeah, that's essentially, or at least similar to, my beliefs. I term myself an agnostic theist.

11. Why would anyone rate this thread under 5 stars?

Is something wrong with it?

12. I think that makes you agnostic.

Must be the atheists.

13. #53 esseff, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
    That makes you very much a theist.

The reason I don't define myself as a theist is because unless you always qualify that with what you actually mean, whoever hears that word automatically fills in the meaning with whatever idea they carry.

Because nothing should be fixed within, any idea you come up with to define your own version of the word may also be subject to change both within yourself and for those who think they understand what you mean.

It's much better to keep as many of these labels away as possible, so that you don't have to define yourself by what you think yourself to be.

14. Are you really agnostic?

That's a rather neutral position.

How convinced are you that God exist? Are you mildly theist or simply entertain the idea of God's existence?

15. No I'm certain that God exist and is involved in personal human development.

I just feel like there's no way humans can know the details of God's "beliefs".

So I'm agnostic about organized religion and a believer when it comes to God.

16. I didn't even know this existed.

Thank goodness.

I'm not really a Christian.

17. Exactly how I feel. The bible was written by man, how can we really be sure it's God's word?

18. But you see god in a way very similar to organised religion though. For god to have 'beliefs' you're seeing an anthropomorphised idea. Many people do as it makes it easier to get a handle on something that's not easy to think about. Trouble is, anyone seeing it that way, in many ways still keeps themselves bound by the old religious way of doing so, which can be transcended.

The Jewish faith avoids creating an idea of god (or is supposed to) and I'm sure other faiths do to. For me, seeing it that way does keep the idea of god 'over there', outside, as to see a Being is a very father-figure-like way of doing so, and feels like it's something outside, when it must be inside.

19. I have faith in something very real to me. I don't ascribe to any particular label, as it doesn't really serve me in any way. I don't know what I am now as the idea, of myself and my belief, is always changing.

20. I think labels are important simply to show people there are alternatives to common practices and beliefs and that they ar not alone.

I first learned of the term agnostic when I was in my late teens and immediately realized that best desrcibed my view and that there were others who could relate. Before then I only thought you had to be atheist or religious, that there was nothing in between.

In fact, I wish there was a term to better describe my Theist views so it would be easier to find others who can relate.

How about "exploratory theist" or "multi-religion/non-religion theist"?