The Ten Commandments and the Crucifix

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by BongBreaker6, Mar 9, 2011.

1. I'm not really someone who understands how people are religious, but one piece of Christian hypocrisy bothers me more than most: The Crucifix.

Isn't it in the 10 Commandments that we are not to make Idols? Isn't a statue of a dying Jesus exactly that? Therefore, aren't most churches actually in violation of the 10 Commandments? Isn't any Christian who wears a cross (with Jesus or without) simply committing blasphemy by wearing an idol?

Discuss...

2. Gotta love religion. You should probably ask a priest about this though.

My guess is that because it is of his son, and a symbol of His forgiveness, they dont feel its the same.

3. Jesus is their god.
    the cross is a symbol of their religion.
    the only rule is no false idols,
    so i guess christianity related things are okay

4. yep now if you've got a buddha statue well... your fucked lol

5. I guess that could make sense, but to me the "No Idols" means that we don't worship statues of our gods like they did in pre-Abrahamic times.

6. #6 garrison68, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
    Robert G. Ingersoll once posed an interesting question. If Jesus had lived in more modern times, and had been killed with a firearm, would his followers wear a little replica of a gun around their necks, rather than a crucifix?.

7. If Jesus had lived in modern times, his miracles would have been documented
    better, and if he was the real deal, i think everyone would be christian.

8. Nah. It would probably be him in an electric chair.

9. I wouldn't.

10. shit , i got a buddha =(

11. Christians contradict themselves without knowing it. He didn't even die on a cross, he was put on a tree

12. You're saying if you watched Jesus perform a miracle in front of you, you still wouldn't believe in the Christian god?

13. I would go WOAH I think I was just mind freaked!

14. My mother made me goto church at a very young age and my father didn't like this so much, he pulled me aside one sunday before I went to church and said adriaan, do you like getting dressed up in your little suit and sitting in church for a long time, I obviously said no, then he said it's because there is no difference between jack and the bean stock and jesus and the bible, they are both works of fiction you needn't be wasting time with. I really didn't get it at this point (I was too little) and had him tell me later but I do remember one thing he said that will always stick with me, and it was, Life is just a beach, then ya die why not play in the sand, plug away and live the dream son. He went on to say, there are just things that aren't worth getting mixed up over in life, but they will always be there at your doorstep, (a.k.a. religion) Its good to have spirituality, but adriaan I will tell you a secret, I have lived my life by one saying my entire life Manifest plainness, Embrace simplicity, Reduce selfishness, Have few desires and don't worry just be happy!

15. i doubt they would've fucked that part up...

16. Chris Angel is Jesus?

17. #17 DabsOnTheMountain, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
    its like in Islam, when a Muslim prays they have to face towards mecca, the holy city. they aren't idling mecca, they just pray towards it. Christians think of the cross when they pray, we aren't praying to the cross. the cross is just a reminder, not an idol.

18. They didn't put nails through his hands either - if they had he would have falled off the cross or tree or whatever. Most crucifixions were done by strapping them to the tree.

19. Only if he had to haul a 107 howitzer up a long ass hill, then yes. ;) :smoke:

20. I find it funny that they turned a gruesome ass death machine that killed a ton of evil ass people into their religions forefront symbol lolz.