The Teeny farm, 400W HPS/MH/LED, DWC& drip feed.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by B1b1unique, Nov 26, 2011.

1. #21 MrWeeds, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
    [quote name='"B1b1unique"']So i have slowly become more and more aware at the fact that i wasted so much money buying my cabinet form super closets :mad: all the parts in this thing are easy to come by hydroponic accessories, and not even expensive. I could have built a super closet better than they did for like $1000. The only reason i bought it was because i was being lazy and didn't feel like building my own, which in turn screwed me because ill be buying crap for my grow cab for the next 2 weeks to make up for the things super closets left out or did wrong :mad: I should've done better research. oh well my plants are doing okay and Ill have to make do with my mistake and make my super closet as "custom" as I can, now, wheres my drill :devious:[/quote]

Join the club. Haha

However. Let that be the system you build off of.
    **fast forward 6 cycles**
    Present system is a cloners paradise.
    Then you have a veg armoir
    And a flower armoir.

Or something to that effect.
    I bought the GH 8 site waterfarm.could have built it for less than $100.
    We live and learn. So don't beat yourself up. Start planning your dream setup, and how this one will fit into it. :)

Puff Puff Pass

2. #22 B1b1unique, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
    So ive decided to loose the shelf and have the Entire height of the cab for growing as with the cloner and seedling area on the bottom renders my cab to short for fully mature plants. Im going to get a little grow tent, as small as the come, and put my seedling/cloning setup in there using all my parts from the super closet. Im doubling the air stones in both reservoirs as well, f***ing superclosets, you guys suck.

Anyway im going to the hydro store later tOday and ill update pics of the new setup tonight.

Cheers :wave:

3. #23 B1b1unique, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    Just finished the adjustment to the garden :smoke:

I went ahead and bought a 3 foot tall, 2x2 base, grow tent. I layed the grow tent down on its side so that its 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall like a rectangle on its side, and my cloning/seedling rig fits perfectly in there :D i was worried it would be akward but it looks fuc***ing awesome. nice and clean.

As far as the super closet deluxe (lol ripoff) i turned it into the nice tall chamber it should be and the shelf (used originally as the ceiling for the fluorescent lights, and the floor for the mature plant chamber with the HID's and LED's) (LED's en route to my apartment, ordered online. :cool: ). I used the shelf for the ceiling of the grow tent for the seedling chamber as it already had the metal hangers for the fluorescent lights. it just cut 4 little holes in the top of the tent and laid the shelf on top witht he hangers coming through the holes of the ceiling of the tent, and the fliers go inside and clip right to the ceiling :)

Now its like 7 feet tall lol the plants have all the room in the world. The bottom chamber took up about 14 inches I'd say, but the HID isn't against the roof, the highest point is 8 inches below, so you don't get the full 6 and a half feet it "measures"

I have reflective sanitary plastic taped over the unused net pot holes in the big girl chamber (super closet), I chose 5 nicely spaced holes and took out all the double drip feed hosing and cut it down to 5 feeders so that each feeder gets the most "umph" it can from the system :devious:

I also got an extra fan as the one they give you from SC is shit, what a suprise

-As far as the plants go, they're doing good, i just changed the res, they appear healthy but they are very slow :mad: as for the oldest plant, the white widow, she has sprouted her first taproot last night!!!:D

pictures in a bit the uploader makes me want to rip my hair out :wave:

enjoy the laziest pictures I've ever taken,

cheers

Attached Files:

4. #24 B1b1unique, Dec 1, 2011
    update:

moved the two oldest to the big chamber today. leaving for 4 days so i changed the res in the seedling chamber, and made a 17 gallon batch for the big chamber for the move.I think they'll be okay for 4 days? no/yes? big chamber is on 18/6 and drip feeds for 15 mins every 3 hours. The LED's are taking longer then 3 days they're in the mail, I payed for the "2day" shipping :mad: its been 72 hours

plants:

notice the blue co2 hose behind the little fan ;)

cheers :wave:

Attached Files:

5. [quote name='"B1b1unique"']update:

moved the two oldest to the big chamber today. leaving for 4 days so i changed the res in the seedling chamber, and made a 17 gallon batch for the big chamber for the move.I think they'll be okay for 4 days? no/yes? big chamber is on 18/6 and drip feeds for 15 mins every 3 hours. The LED's are taking longer then 3 days they're in the mail, I paper for the "2day" shipping :mad: its been 72 hours

plants:

notice the blue co2 hose behind the little fan ;)

cheers :wave:[/quote]

Great pics.
    Make sure to cover the empty holes. Light allowed into the resevoir promotes algae growth.

A little fyi: 4 days away is theoretically safe. But in hydroponics, shit can hit the fan FAST!!!
    Find someone you trust 150% to babysit them once a day for ya. Until that system is dialed in you have a pretty good possibility of PH drift. I lost 14 plants going away for 2 days before. I have a trusted plant sitter now, for any trip longer than 24 hrs.

Other than that. Have a good trip.

6. #26 B1b1unique, Dec 1, 2011
    Hi! yeah I covered 10 holes with white reflective plastic and made it into a 5 plant system for that reason ( i don't want light leak on my roots ) the other 3 holes are uncovered because i have the other 3 seedling moving in there as soon as they're ready. probably will be by the time i get back. I put washed hydration clay in the 3 unused net pots for the time being until the other plants are in to block out the light some.

Also, I honestly wish there was somebody i could have plant sit, and the people that i do trust literally would screw something up faster then they would help lol, my Ph usually drifts north about 0.2 - 0.5 while the lights are on, I'm checking tonight weather the PH drops back down when the lights go off. I hope they do or ill have to have somebody come splash in some Ph down while I'm gone.

- as far as loosing your plants in 48 hours that sucks man, sorry to hear that, I REALLY hope i can figure a way around my trip to make sure these plants are ok. Did you loose the plants to Ph drift?? or was it something else?

7. #27 MrWeeds, Dec 1, 2011
    [quote name='"B1b1unique"']
    - as far as loosing your plants in 48 hours that sucks man, sorry to hear that, I REALLY hope i can figure a way around my trip to make sure these plants are ok. Did you loose the plants to Ph drift?? or was it something else?[/quote]
    The hydroton in the pots will be fine :)
    When i left, the PH was 6. When i returned, it was 8.7. DOH!!!
    I was using the GH Flora Series at the time.
    i now use X-line basics, by Hydroponix. I have never had a PH problem since.

*edit*
    I also like Dynagrow & Bloom. Good 3in1 nutes.

8. #28 B1b1unique, Dec 1, 2011
    I am not using fertilizers yet as the plants are so young, but i do have about 25 ML of H2o2 (29%) and 25 ML of drip clean in there (17 gal res), just to keep the res nice and sanitary and aerated :), My Ph is 5.8. If my 6 day old white widow can already live on her own for four days she's one mature plant for her age :eek: it took me 20 years lol.

When it is time for nutes, I'm all setup for the holland secret recipe with extreme additives :D hopefully i like them and don't feel the need to bounce around from brand to brand. All my local hydroponic stores said the holland secret is bombastic, we will see.

cheers :wave:

9. #29 B1b1unique, Dec 1, 2011
    The plants appear completely healthy, and i had no problems until now, the seedlings are under a 400W MH light and get fed for 15 minutes ever 3 hours. they were doing great and about 30 minutes ago my oldest white widow fell over!!! the stem is completely limp and the little girl feel over and won't hold herself up!!?? I think that she stretched to far trying to get the light and has gotten to tall to hold herself up, i have my hydroton pellets holding her up at the moment. What do I do!!! i moved the light closer, how do i stop her from stretching!!!!!?? please help!! I dont think its "damping off" considering i dont have soil.

10. so i was away for 4 days.I came back and everything was fine, except for the fact that BOTH my big girls look like SHIT (PH is fine, lights were fine feeder was on water was new) all pale and weird and what not. and my smaller baby's all died of root rot. WTF. I was very excited and doing what i thought was correct with what i consider to be a solid foundation of knowledge on the subject. this SUCKS. totally discouraged :mad: want to throw all my grow equipment away about now.

11. was wondering what was going on up in here!

yeah you can't leave young sprouts alone for too long, never works out well :)

glad at least a couple of your plants survived the drought, good luck with them, post up some pictures

12. Okay, so 2 plants officially survived. The oldest white widow and something else, probably a blueberry. what makes me angry is that nothing would have been different even if i was tending the seedlings for those 4 days, the Ph was fine so I think what killed the plants was the H2O2 and drip clean i put into the solution. I let three jack herer's germ for the last 3 days untouched and all but 1 sprouted a gorgeous tap root. They are in a cleaned out and sanitized seedling chamber and my goal is to fuss with the seedlings as least as possible, besides the weekly res change.

Also I have the LEDs in my big chamber as well.

Cheers.

13. My seedlings all germ fine and grow at a good healthy rate for the first 4 or 5 days, and then 80 % of my seedlings die or cease growing completely indefinitely. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM DOING INCORRECTLY HERE. I literally couldn't be more sanitary with this grow i have nothing but clean bubbly un-fertilized water for these girls and they all get sick and die as seedlings, i have my original white widow on life support at 2 and a half weeks old it looks like she's a week old :mad: and one JH made it through dropping the shell of the seed and opening up somewhat all other JH seedlings died. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE !!!:mad: somebody please help me out. Ive done my research I know what I'm doing to some degree i am EXTREMELY sanitary in my grow room at all times i don't understand why these ladies are getting sick.

14. I see you have chosen the sterile route so I'll try to be brief. What is your water source? RO? RO can basically eliminate the possibility of the water being the culprit. Many have issues with questionable water source.

The water temp looks fine at 68 degrees and there should be enough aeration with that setup. Also, you have not reported any sliming or the start of root rot, so i'm assuming you are okay there. With that said, I think it's a bit early to be introducing H2O2 to the seedlings as they probably do not need it at this stage.

I would perhaps dilute the nute mix even more and run it pretty close to mostly water and see if the girls start to reach for the light. At that point you'll know if the plants are asking for more nute and adjust accordingly.

Personally I am a "bennies" guy so the sterile setup is somewhat foreign to me but then you have yet to introduce all the variables to your grow so i think you'll be able to get to the bottom of it.