The Supreme Court imposes long-overdue limits on car searches.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by TLF1088, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Step Away From the Vehicle: The Supreme Court imposes long-overdue limits on car searches. - Reason Magazine

The jist of it:

If you're arrested for a traffic violation the police can no longer search your car.

They're allowed to search your car if they are looking for evidence that is related to the crime you are being arrested for, or if "search a vehicle incident to a recent occupant's arrest only when the arrestee is unsecured and within reaching distance of the passenger compartment at the time of the search."

So I know this doesn't technically have to do with legalization, but I think this new ruling can be helpful to people.

2. This is great news for you guys! Hopefully Canada will follow suit.

3. #3 M1chael, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
    Good news followed by a bunch of fucking bullshit.

"Among other things, the Court has ruled that a search warrant can be granted based on information from an anonymous (and perhaps nonexistent) informant; that evidence obtained with an invalid search warrant can be used in court as long as police acted in "good faith"; that police do not need a warrant to monitor homes and backyards from low-flying helicopters; that police may use dogs to inspect luggage and cars without probable cause; and that government employees and public school students may be subjected to random drug testing."

fuck that.

4. wait what's new? haha they couldn't search without probable cause in the first place right?

5. Before this ruling if you got arrested for a traffic violation then the police could search your car.

Now, they can't search your car unless it's to look for more evidence of what you're being arrested for.

For instance, if you're driving 105mph down the highway the police can arrest you. Before they could also search your car.

Now they can't.

6. thanks for the clarification...i guess it's something :rolleyes: