The Sun Is My God!!

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Still Smokin, Jan 30, 2008.

1. The Sun gives my beautiful plants energy to grow.

The Sun always puts me in such a better mood...gives me so much energy.

Without the Sun there is no life.

I've heard the first documented figure of god in history was the Sun. Which does not suprise me.

The Sun is my god

[​IMG]

Im tripping really hard right now. Ate 2 chocolates.

2. The Sun is a tool, used to sustain life.

3. The sun is the giver of life. It made life on this rock possible, provided the energy for life to develop and flourish. It feeds plants and animals directly and indirectly.

Our dearest friend and our greatest treasure. And the solution to all our energy needs once we wane ourself from our disgusting oil and coal addiction. And some day, we will ride the winds of our sun, to distant foreign suns.

If one absolutely must worship something, our sun, the instigator and catalyst of life, would be my first choice. :)

4. It burns me.

Hahaha.. I just got a great mental picture. Imagine the sun yelling down to you, "IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN!!!" Hahahahaha

5. Life would not exist without the sun. Thats a completely anthropocentric statement.

6. Sorry... The sun is not the center of the Universe, it is only a spec in a galaxay, among billions and billions of galaxy's.

The sun doesn't even have any energy of it's own. Take a read into sulpher plasma lights, and into plasma sciences. The sun's energy is not from molecular reactions occuring at it's core, the hottest part of the sun is the corona that surrounds it. If the energy was coming from the inside, then the sun would be gone already, beacuse it would have exploded and it wouldn't be around anymore....

Gravity has trouble keeping things together, it only acts on large moving bodies.. how the fuck is it supposed to bond anything. The answer is that it doesn't, we already know how matter is bonded together, and it's through electro-magnatism, a force that is enough to hold titanium together (we're talking on an atomic level here).

What's the difference from Titanium and air???

The sun sends us it's heat, because it's a transmitter, or a focal point of energy. Every wonder why they're are so many binary star systems? Think about it, what force is stronger, gravity or magnatism? IT's way more powerful than any atomic bomb.

Sorry, if I'm stomping on your 'zen momment' but its just self indulgence and ego. Get over your fucking self, and realize that their are bigger things in this universe.

7. The sun might as well be at th centre of the universe, its not like we have the capability to travel further than a planet or two away atm.. at least the sun is real, unlike god.

the sun doesnt have its own energy? i think it does, e = mc2 (mass times speed of light squared), it has a lot of its own energy.

the corona is hotter than the rest of the surface but the centre is still hotter
    http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae600.cfm

"If the energy was coming from the inside, then the sun would be gone already, beacuse it would have exploded and it wouldn't be around anymore...." - funny, as it does and will continue to do so for a few billion years at least.. it takes energy from the centre of the sun about a million years to reach the surface. http://www.extremescience.com/sun.htm

"it only acts on large moving bodies" - oh so im guessing the weight of the world wasnt calculated hundreds of years ago (fairly accurately considering) by using gravity and a mountain.. oh and what about light, when thats "bent" by black holes' gravity, last time i checked they were small moving bodies (photons).

the sun does not send us heat at all. it sends us particles of light which carry energy which then hits earth and heats it up, these particles are bi products from a nuclear reaction.

8. Right on G-Man. Sometimes the scientific illiteracy some people reveal, usually combined with supreme confidence in some mumbo-jumbo, baffles me. What's happened to education in some countries?

More on the sun here.

As for gravity being a weak force, that may be true in the general. But gravity do provide pressure on matter that in large enough bodies result in nuclear fusion. A great source of energy, as it forces atoms together by breaking the electro-magnetic positive charge barrier of atoms thus realigning particles by the strong nuclear force into new atoms of a higher nuclear weight. And in the process releasing massive amounts of radiation by the weak nuclear force and electro-magnetic discharges. Like say in any active star.

Not to mention that if the body of matter is massive enough, almost nothing can escape the gravitational well. Not even radiation, except in tiny amounts by some process Hawkins figured out. I think we call these phenomena black holes.

edit: Updated to take into account the small radiation bleed of black holes. Forgot, but G-Man reminded me :)

9. The sun has been worshipped for thousands of years..... you are right....... the sun is an amazing celestial object. Ra. Apollo. Helios. Throughout history it has been an god. It has been in the control of a god.. It has given birth to gods. It has been bore by gods. But what ancients didn't know is that the sun is the best source of energy that plants can take in.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These are all images of our sun. I forget which is which....but the red is infared, the blue is ultraviolet, I think the green is microwaves and purple radio (or vice versa). I could be wrong about all.....I lost the original labels from the website.

10. Actually black holes were "proved" by steven hawking to emit certain radiation, thus "evapourating" away. I always wonderered where they went and why they don't just get bigger and bigger until everything is sucked in.

Also lets not forget the size of the sun, its pretty fucking big (massive), its got some strong gravity going on.

back on topic, The Sun > God

11. You say all of these things about forces like they are describing multiple different things. Not connecting perceptual differences like you should?

12. Perhaps if we consider a black hole to be a sort of interdimensional void it becomes easier to understand why it doesn't need to grow as matter and light/energy passes through it.

13. Hawkin's theory is basically derived from the theory (and to some extent, experimentally shown) of spontaneous pair creation. A photon of light can indeed break up into a electron/positron pair.

As for a black hole, the theory is there is a certain radius, called the Schwartzchild radius, with is the theoretical limit in which even light cannot escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

So Hawkin's theory is that if a photon exactly at the Schwartzchild radius breaks up in a pair creation, one of the electrons/positions would be expelled.

This way, the black hole technically bleeds out. But note that a black hole has be roughly 10x the mass of the sun, and an electron/positron weights 10^-27 kg, So this process, if even possible, can be very neglected, even on a large time scale.

14. Yeah, that's not vague enough at all for people to fill in the voids left open in their own minds.

Try a thought experiment here with me, then. Imagine that our Universe is like looking at a cross-section of a hyper/hypo-dimensional form. But add another dimension (aboveness, which you can twist and curve but by maintaining a focus you can make it seem linear), and the galaxy looks almost exactly like a double helix. Think of it as a spiral drill winding up, each thread's focus (center of gravity, or center of momentum for all of you scientists) being pulled into an oscillating orbit around the other. A dog chasing its own tail. Chicken and the egg. Yin and Yang. But each revolution (twist multidimensionally 360 degrees) actually displaces you by lifting you out of the lower dimension. A black hole has a similar form. It's like a twisting, multidimensional spiral. It exists to balance the light "mass" (star) structure in its growth.

It can be ten times the inverse of mass, I'd agree.

15. Ok, gravity causes nuclear fusion. Prove it. Go ahead. Show me one example of demonstrated Helium to Hydrogen Fusion... While your spinning your wheels and pretending that what I say is illiterate mumbo-jumbo, how about stepping up to the plate and showing one experiement that backs it up. So much for scientific method.

Don't think that I didn't study the same things that you did. I did study this is school, but it always left me baffled, because in chemistry we talk about how molecules are formed, and they demonstrate with evidence many fantastic reactions, and then in physics class everything that we do backs up what happens in chemistry, and we learn about how electrons and protons and neutrons work. We learn about Gama radiation, particles electromagnetic waves, and so forth... but then when we start into the topic of Astro physics, you leave everything that you learned behind and step into a strange new world, where nothing acts like it did in the previous classes.

And if you actually want to know what happens in Astro physics your back into the world of gravity that has literally no effect in comparison to electromagnetism. Experiment for you, take a magnet out of your pocket pick up a coin. WAhhoo electromagnetism beat out gravity again.

Further to this, the belief that it is hotter in the center of the sun is all nice and cozy along with the belief that the sun is a nuclear furnace, but then what about sun spots? What is a sun spot? Why do they occur, what does this have to do with nuclear Fusion? Why does the sun change it's magnetic poles every 11 years? Why does it even have magnetic poles.

Why are sunspots on regular patterns? Why do planets have corona's just like the sun, and produce their own light, (sorry light coming from planets is not just a reflection of the sun). They produce their own plasma? Wait but their's no nuclear fusion reaction happening at the center of earth... Wait maybe their is, maybe it's a super secret hidden reaction that causes our earth to give off light.

What forces the sun together then? it's own gravity? So your telling me that by itself, it holds itself together and in this it has extra energy (more than what it needs to hold itself together) and with that energy it cause a stable nuclear fusion reaction that can go on for billions of years, while it continually looses energy to its surrounding environment.

Man I guess I'm wrong on all accounts. Until you actually think for yourself.

16. :eek:

+rep

17. Actually astrophysics is very well define and fits very well standard physics and chemistry. And if you want proof of nuclear fusion. It is currently being developed in many countries and the first large scale energy supply using fusion will be around in 15 years. I suggest you read up on the sudject before you throw around such a bold statement.

There are easy ways to explain most, if not all your questions that you deem mysterious. Might I suggest Modern Stellar Astrophysics by Ostlie. It is a very good book on astrophysics and will tell you all about blackbody radiation, radiation pressure and nuclear fusion.

18. Or better yet, read this: http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/articles/fusion/index.html

An article that explains very well current understanding of the fusion process in the sun, how it is caused by gravitational pressure, and how we got to understand all this. Not to mention still unanswered questions.

You're not claiming to know more than nobel-prize winners do on this subject do you highgrowman?

As for gravity being a weak force, I've never claimed anything but. EM and Strong/Weak nuclear force is several orders of magnitude stronger than gravity. Not the point. The point is that gravity grows stronger and stronger, the larger a body it eminates from. Given enough mass, gravity both can and will negate all other known forces, creating immense pressure. enough to break the EM positive charge wall of atoms, resulting in, yes, fusion.