The Study of Consciousness

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by aero18, Jan 20, 2011.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbItRBc4Cp8]YouTube - BBC Horizon - The Secret You[/ame]

2. Interesting. Does this mean that I have no soul ?

3. this shit blew my mind last night and i meant to post saying something but i was too high and blown :eek:

4. Blew my mind too. But I guess I had a hunch that the brain worked this way.
    Don't know yet what to belive.. What are the implications of this?

5. #5 aero18, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
    I never ran into any research that showed evidence of such a thing.

Why would you think that a collection of atoms have souls?

6. #7 drpanda, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
    Well, not because I believe in souls. But rather that it would debunk most of the religions I have heard of ;) It would be a great argument if one could prove that the soul is non-existent.

7. They claimed humans chimpanzees and orangutans are the only animals with consciousness based off the mirror study but I think that's bullshit. Some animals just dont give a fuck about staring at themselves in the mirror. I know for a fact that my dogs are aware of themselves, and that they do have some form of consciousness. They react to their environment, and definitely have some sense of "self."

Really fucked the rest of the video up for me starting out with a false assumption like that.

They also conclude what consciousness "is" : "your consciousness is a result of your brain communicating with itself"

So anything with a brain has consciousness now, but only if you're a monkey?

Definitely blew my mind, cause now im fucked trying to figure out whats true and whats not based on their conflicting views on what the fuck consciousness is.

8. just posting here so i subscribe- i'll watch it later tonight and post my thoughts

always love these videos aero

9. Only one side of your Brain is conscious, When both sides are conscious you are able to amazing things, like Right handers might be able to use their Left and vice versa,and you might be super fast or really strong and thing really fast and out the box box (being creative) to new levels and your more tuned to outter world things

What if you were entirely a new person

10. at the 48 minute mark, Is dude rolling a J!? :hello:

11. HAHA! I think he is!

12. Idea.. what if the unconscious mind is just a cascade of past outcomes of events that ultimately lead to the decision? the cascade of the different events, gives almost "infinite" possibilities for a "decision" that relays to the conscious mind. This could also explain the neurons firing for different "concepts" more than others. The different chemicals released during the stimulation of the concept create the emotion to which is saved to the unconscious brain. ( to this i also propose that this happens during sleep, no concrete reason just an assumption) BUT, the conscious mind could over rule the unconscious decision.. "face your fears" the fear learning originate as a stored emotion. (the structure is the amygdala for the curious cats) The fear comes from the previous experiences, therefore you become afraid and wont or very apprehensive to do something. But when you face your fears and do not get the "bad" emotions, you overcome the fear and the emotion of the experience is stored. Our brain (in my mind, pun intended) is just solving one huge statistical problem that forms our conscious mind. This can also be related to pixels. Each pixel carries a different variation of color that collectively makes the color we perceive while watching tv. Every sensory input collects data and the data is processed (statistical mean) and sent to other "processing centers" that collectively begin to form our conscious world and the "I" complex.

Before you get pissy, this reply is only my opinions and is by no means proven.. just threw it out there for others to kick around..

13. thinking about the mind, WITH the mind... is just circular thinking LOL :bongin:

14. done.

It would be a great argument if one could prove that the soul is existent.