The Strangers

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ImWithWhatever, Oct 23, 2008.

1. haha i just watched that new movie the strangers, im sure most of u heard of it, and lemme just say, it was not scary AT ALL

2. I saw it at the theaters and found it quite frightening at times.

3. thats insane because i watched it tonight too

i thought it was awesome...
    definitely quite chilling

4. saw this in theatres.

AWFUL MOVIE! a lot of the scares were cheap. the scene where he gets touched on the back of the neck comes to mind. what the fuck, the guy touches his neck and then hides under the car? runs away? idk, didnt work for me.

the only "scary" parts were when masked people showed up on screen suddenly, like when she moves the blinds and the guy with a POTATO SACK MASK (lulz) is standing there.

only one person i went to the movie with enjoyed it, but that's because his girlfriend gave him a handjob after being so bored with it.

5. It wasn't scary, but I liked it.

It uses those cheap scares of the low budget 1970's horror films. It's a real period piece almost, but I guess that doesn't translate to a younger generation.

I like the warped premise too. Very demented. Great imagery.

6. Watch the original and thank me later.

7. Seconded.

8. I enjoyed this movie a lot :D I was really really scared in the theater, but I can see how it wouldn't be so scary if I watched it at home. I'd like to watch it again.

9. i hated this movie. i went to high in theatres and still didnt like it. i mean that takes a really bad movie to do that.

10. I watched this with my gf last night, and I'll say it was decent.

Not the best terror movie, but it'll do.

11. I didn't find it scary either, but I liked it all right. decent flick!

12. I'll give the movie credit for having some good atmosphere, but it still relied on sight scares to chill the audience. I'm sorry but having something pop up on screen unsuspected doesn't scare me, it may startle me... but it sure as hell is not scary. Same goes with noise jolts. You know, when they have complete silence and then crack the noise up to 11 to try and get a scare out of you.

What ever happened to the days of atmospheric horror? Movies like The Thing and Rosemary's Baby? Where the atmosphere was so chilling and forboding that you would literally be shaking with terror at the prospect of what could come next. I miss the days when Carpenter and Polanski were at the top of their game. But this new age PG-13 horror bullshit is ridiculous.

I haven't been truly scared by a movie since I watched Alien and Aliens when I was 10.. Maybe I just don't scare easy but it seems that the only way to get a good scare these days is to look over seas at the stuff that Germany and France are putting out.

13. You must not have watched the same Rosemary's Baby as I did. Watched it on a big screen, large dark room, at one in the morning with a friend. Whole thing. it was possibly the most boring movie ever made. it did have a really fucked up sex scene, but it wasn't scary and feels like it was just an attempt to be edgy.

I mean I know it was the seventies, but c'mon!

14. Because to me, a good horror movie does not rely on what is on screen. A good horror movie creates a sense of dread and panic without ever shoving it in the viewers face. It should instill a sense of atmosphere that fills your heart with desperation and dread, a sense of blurred reality that makes it so you never truly know the intentions of the characters up on screen... Horror to me is not having something jumping out and going "Booo!" or having something dash across the screen.

All great horror relies on the unseen and the unknown.. But that's my opinion, I'm an old school horror afficionado.

15. someone need to recomend a good movie that would scare me or even touch me i hat all those gay movies its really not creative at all they cant go deep and scare you anymore.

16. Watch either Alien or Aliens for great sci fi horror... The sequel is more a horror/action but will absolutely scare your pants off

The Thing also holds a high place in my heart.

Check the Scary Movie thread for some great recommendations, SmokinGirly knows her stuff

17. I respect that, and based on what you said I would like to recommend a video game: Dead Space. It is in-fucking-sane. And it isn't exactly the type of horror that I enjoy, but it is excellent and goes along with what you so vividly described.