The Story of Toke Master Bongs

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by suk, Apr 7, 2021.

1. I am Gabriel. I just read several glowing stories about these bongs from long ago and it made me feel very nostalgic. You may not believe this, but my story starts in Wilmington, Delaware. A friend, Dennis, came home from a tour in Vietnam and had a with him a beautiful bamboo bong, nothing fancy, but very nice.
    Another friend, Tom, and I went nuts a little. We loved the ritual of use, the mechanics of use, and the vast pleasures of bong use. We saw that we could use PVC pipe to make a couple for ourselves. DuPont is in Delaware and had all the plastics we could use, so we started up.
    The large pipe was 6 feet long and so it made 4 bongs of 18 inches. The slim red pipe was sold in 6 foot lengths and so supplied 9 tubes, 8 inches long, for the feed tubes. We ended up needing to buy enough large and small tubing to come out closer to even numbers.
    We started making bongs and mostly sold them to friends. We had not gotten into head shops yet. My uncle stopped by one day and saw what we were doing to make the things and felt we were terribly inefficient. Mind you, we were 16 and 17 years old at the time and were not engineers. My uncle, however, was an engineer. He showed up a short while later with jigs that he had made for us and showed us how to use them.
    Now we could lay a piece of tube in the jig, position the drill against another jig and make a perfect hole for the small tube every time. Our volume went up from eight bongs a week to eight bongs a day, on the days we worked. We bought some flat blue and some clear sheets of PVC, cut and formed them to support the bong, then we added the poker, stuffed the bong in an athletic sock, wrote a couple pages of instructions and started selling them at the Jersey shore in the late 60's. In the seventies I was drafted and walked away from the project. Tom stayed with it for another year or so, then sold the idea, jigs and all to a friend affectionately named "Dog". The rest is his story.

• Like Like x 2