The "Stoner" Stereotype

Discussion in 'General' started by MatchboxKing, Jul 11, 2009.

1. So, maybe this is an old topic for the counter-culture, but I just want to see how people feel. Is anybody else sick of the stoner stereotype? The lazy, stupid, unmotivated nobody who never goes anywhere and never will?
    I smoke pot daily (When I have it). I am a second-year University student in a respectable program, I work hard five days a week, I'm a prolific writer who recently had a poem published in American Atheist Magazine. I'm going places, and pot isn't stopping me; in fact, it's helped me more than any other habit I've developed.

Discuss?

2. I don't care one way or the other.

If anyone judges you negatively without knowing you just for smoking weed, then fuck them anyway.

3. True say, however, what about service industry employees, or any other person that you're forced to deal with? Or an apartment landlord who kicks you out because of it? Or parents who disown you for it? Or bosses who fire you for it? It's a little hard to just say "Fuck them".

4. Defenitly I would have to agree on this one bro

5. Then you need to know where to draw the line with pot.

If it's going to cause THAT much trouble, is it worth it? Not to me.

I'm fortunate enough to not have worry about that sort of shit right now.

If I had to choose between a good job with random piss tests and getting stoned all the time, I know which one I'd choose.

6. I agree with you, its annoying. I am also responsible and achieving my goals all while smoking weed. I don't fit the stoner stereotype look at all though. Most people think I am a nice, young christian boy (i look 17 but am in fact 21). Whatever, as more people who smoke weed succeed (rhymage!) marijuana will be less taboo.

7. I'd fit into the stoner stereotype perfectly. But the thing is, I don't smoke that often and people can usually tell from my appearance, but not from anything else. ;)

8. I'm a lazy pot smoker.

Wanna fide aboud id?

9. you ready fo yo provolone beatdown!?
    How bout some souf in yo mouf!!!!?

10. I think there is less and less of a stoner stereotype. I feel like so many people do it now that there can't really be a stereotype because so many people go against it.

11. QFT, the hassle is the bane you must endure to use an illegal substance. 9 times out of 10 it's the legal issues that cause the problems not the drug itself. If it were legal you'd have a legitimate gripe but it isn't so you have to deal with it.

12. yes Im sick of it. Most people automatically think if I smoke pot, Im super liberal and a hippie.

not true, Im a damn libertarian. I beleive in the constitution, capitalism and I dislike the president.

I have many stereotypes. I have friends from "all the major cliques". Thugs, emo kids, hippies, rednecks and old people included

13. It depends on the person. For some people, pot can be a good thing. For others, it can make them unmotivated. Personally, if I smoked all day, I wouldn't get a thing done. I smoke at night. Night time is MY time. I take care of shit during the day and get super duper high at night.

14. Marijuana is definately becoming more mainstream.
    I know stereotypical stoners, athletes, country folk, Christians, buddies decked out in Polo, and other types of people.
    They all smoke weed with pride.

15. I agree that the stereotype is bullshit. But it's made just like any other stereotype. Because a bunch of people fit it, people assume everyone meets it.

16. I just laugh at those dumb bitches. Throughout high school people have talked down upon me because I smoke, but then I tell them I have a 4.0. That shuts them up. Ha. I'm smarter than all the non-smokers.

17. Yes, it is worth it. Because the counter-culture is fighting a war right now, and to simply say "It's not worth it" is a huge cop-out. That's like Martin Luther King Jr. saying, "This might get me arrested or shot...maybe it's not worth it."
    Also, the job I'll have doesn't do random piss tests. Not to mention there's ways around those tests. Also, I don't get stoned all the time.

18. A war? What war are you talking about? You really think a bunch of hippies that protest and sign petitions are going to get pot legalized? I think it's quite arrogant of you to compare the illegality of cannabis with the African-American civil rights movement.

I don't hate weed, I love it. I think it should be legal. However my life doesn't have time to protest and write countless letters over a plant. As it stands, weed doesn't get you into much trouble anyway, unless you're a grower.

Weed isn't worth losing everything I've gained so far, it's simply not. Maybe to some of you, but not me.

19. Yes, a war. The "war on drugs"? Sound familiar? Though it's actually a war against our personal freedoms. We're not fighting for a fucking plant, we're fighting for our right to do something that we should be allowed to do. That sounds an awful lot like the civil rights movement, doesn't it?

And I'm not a hippie. Hippies are a disgrace. I'm an activist. There's a huge difference.
    And who said advocation was going to cause you to lose ANYTHING, let alone EVERYTHING?

You're a disgrace.

20. And you just lost any credibility you had coming into this thread.

Who's winning the war on drugs? Certainly not you.