The Stigma of Marijuana

Discussion in 'General' started by ybt_sun, Jul 2, 2013.

1. #1 ybt_sun, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
    Hey blades, just want to discuss something that I've been thinking for a while.

As many of you know, marijuana usage is oppressed, discouraged by society. But why? Its medical advantages for individuals with cancer, diabetes, anxiety, and pain are evidence of its benefits. The potential to vaporize or digest the herb provide a non-smoking consumption alternative. With all the positives, why the oppression?

I think a huge source of social aversion to marijuana is the "stoner" stereotype. Your typical parents don't dream of their children growing up to smoke weed, for fear that they grow up with no ambitions in life. "With weed you screw your chances of college. Weed makes you stupid and lazy."

On the contrary, I have had extensive experience with several people who maintain healthy relationships and successful careers despite recreational use of the herb. Used wisely, weed can be a beneficial compliment to any lifestyle. Work out and eat healthy to counter toxin consumptions. Use the herb at night/weekends/vacations so it doesn't distract from your responsibilities. Use it to make a good night better, don't depend on it to make a bad night good. So on and so forth, whatever works for you.

Basically, it should be compared to alcohol, not hard drugs like cocaine or ecstacy. All you need is wisdom and respect for responsibility. You get addicted to hard drugs, but with weed, addiction is nowhere near as intense. But society is convinced that weed is an evil, hard drug.

Thoughts on this? Is society right? Wrong? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I just dream of the day that society understands the true facts about marijuana. But who wants to, other than the users themselves?

2. Short answer : lobbyists.

Long answer : lllloooobbbbbbbbyyyyyiiiiissssstttttssss.

Sent from my HTC One X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 PigBenis696969, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    I smoke weed every day.  Well, night really, and I enjoy it thorougly.  Im in college right now, but one day, when I have a solid career with every aspect of my life in order, I can see myself not smoking anymore.  The idea of having a career, dressing real nice, and handling myself like a professional at work and at home while being 100% clear headed (no weed, alcohol or anything) just sounds enticing.  Why? I don't know.  I do know that currently, weed does not affect me negatively in any way, school, work or anything, but I cant help feeling this way about my own future.

EDIT: When I'm retired however, living on the beach in a remote place, you better bet your ass Im gonna have pounds of personally home grown kronik that Ill be smokin on all day every day if I so choose! B)

4. Closed minded conservatism.

5. People are stupid

6. <<<Smokes weed everyday.

Fat 'Fuck you' society, that's right...Fuck you all. :cool:

7. It sucks really. I work hard and have just recently graduated college with a degree in aviation and like to travel. The herb has been a positive thing for me. I've expanded my mind and now have the ambition and drive to expand my horizons and see the world. But all it takes is one time and I'd loose everything if I get a good job in the industry. People need to wake up and learn about the plant jeeze. It's acceptable to be at war but we can't let people grow and enjoy a plant...smh

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I think it might have to do with marijuana being smoked, everyone knows that smoking is bad. Like Bill Hicks said "ITS OK TO DRINK YOUR DRUG!". Maybe if more people chose to consume marijuana by edibals/marijuana drink rather than smoking it it wouldnt be as stigmatized.