The Stars

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by hippie john, Jul 21, 2003.

1. i wish i was off exploring them all at trans warp right now. i wouldnt mind getting really far away from this place.

2. You better take us with you...
    :p
    :D

3. There's nothing like getting blazed, lying back on a trampoline and stargazing. (I was lucky enough to get a huge trampoline second hand from my school for £80!) It's Just like you're floating in space. My only enemies are the clouds 'cos light pollution is virtually non-existant where I am!

I'm really in the mood for doing that tonight, bud I'll be dry for about one more week. (I think it's been about two and a half already).

4. "virtually non-existant"
    well.... compaired to if you were actually in a town. the light polution is reeeeally bad compaired to somewhere like the north of kamchatka or alaska or the middle of teh saharah. ;)

hey... tell your fella to get me a Q too ;D ... i hate this place. havin a hard time gettin hold of your bro. idk if he got my texts.

5. I'll hopefully be meeting him this weekend, so I'll see what's going on. I've only sampled a small amount from this source, but I was already so stoned at the time and I can hardly pass judgement. It's crazily cheap, but I don't know if that's a good thing. £15 for a Q, but that just seems a bit TOO cheap for an Orkney dealer. We'll see though.

6. you know, some time in the future, mankind will travel to many of those stars. i'm born way too soon. my mother shoulda' waited some 2-300 years :D

7. shit dude! thats axcellent for Orkney, thats like what i could get in dunders.
    i need to get hooked up wit dat guy. i wanna O! :D hehe. only after i've sampled of course.

woops.. shit i just thought... this doesnt constitute as something against the rules does it? lol... might have to delete parts of these posts.

Zy... i know what you mean... but by then she woulda given birth to her pelvis bone as well as you had she waited that long.

8. digit is awesome

9. yeah, i dig that shit kindabongish.

thats the truth.

you know whats what.
    your mind is open. you've not plugged your head full of ignorance and delusions of grandure. a true stoner if ever i saw one.

sol. 93,000,000 miles away ... thats about 8 minutes away at light speed.

proxima centauri (nearest solar system, as i think i mentioned before) is 4.something light years away.

so when are we going to visit?

not soon enough!

when are we going to develope ftl travel?

not soon enough!

when are we gonna either convert or kill all those holding us back!?

not soon enough!!! (jk)

progress is one thing but it needs to be ballanced and for the benifit of the inhabitants of earth. technological advancement is one thing. but should we really bother if its spurred on by the military and the dessire to destroy?

if we spent all the money we currently spend on war on feeding and clothing the porr of the world (which it would MANY times over) we could all then start to concentrate on teh bigger goal of survival of earth spawned life. this plannet isnt gonna be the little safe cosey place it is now. there are far bigger things out there threatening us. once everyone no longer has to struggle to survive on an indivual basis we can put our resources towards our bigger goals. and what bigger goal can there be than "SPACE" ?

its our future.

dotn let ourselves destroy ourselves before we realise this.

long live the earthlings.

all of us.

(mad sleep deprived rant over.)

;D

:p nah. :p

careful ... you're starting to sound like my bethiebee. :D

10. again, its like we're reading from teh same page man.
    except...

what part of my post did you read? or not read? or misread? or r u just fuckin wit my head? lol

Sol (thats the name of our sun, our star) is 8 lightminutes away. Proxima centauri is 4.6ish lightYEARs away. i dont remember mentioning any other stars. :confused: :::scratches head:::

;) :p :D

anyways....

wouldnt it be great to be able to just fly around through space at any speed your imagination would let you? no boundries at all.... just look at a star and you can be in its orbit within an instant...
    i'd love to go star hopping again. ... yes.... thats right.. again. I was doing that in a trip once. fuuucking amazing.

11. to travel among the stars. that won't happen for a while yet. the distances are just too immense. naturally i will expect some probes beeing sent towards all the stars within 10 lightyears reach before the century is over, but those will most likely cruise at around 15 to 20% lightspeed, thus taking 30-40 years just to reach the closest star, and over a hundred to reach stars in the 10 ly range (you gotta factor in the time it takes to accelerate and decelerate).

many sci-fi novels have speculated in so called generation ships or a combo with the crew in stasis. big ass ships with hundreds, if not thousands of passengers traveling to a lush world around some (nearby) star if we find some that is. the jurney will take upto 3-4 generations if they are not in hibernation. and if most are hibernated, a rotational crew gets awakened for a year or so worth of handling the ship. however, when they get there, will they be greeted by future humans who stayed back in sol-system to await ftl travel? so i don't see generation ships happening. it's better to wait for a practical technology to emerge. if we could get upto 60-70% of light speed, then we're cooking. a roundtrip mission to nearest star would then only take some 10x2 years. but that is still to long and slow for crewed missions i think.

12. - hahahahahaha. i thought so bongish. ;)

yeah zy, I hear ya.
    particularly the probes stuff. i think Ion Propulsion is really verry interesting. not as fast at accelerating/decelerating as rockets etc, but needs waaaay less fuel. i think a little bit of a slingshot and a rocket boost to get a probe set off in the right direction would be a good start to its journey. its all technology we have now. might take a while to get to its destination and a while for teh data to be transmited back (of course not as long as it took to get there). i think its worth doing this. the sooner the better. we never know when we'll develope ftl travel (if ever) so for teh sake of future generations, i think we should be sending out such probes all the time.. one a week. "lets get motivated behind this, lets go" (-bill hicks quote, he was relating it to a totally different thing and was being sarcastic, but the words still ring true). I'm quite certain that we'll be terraforming our neighbour planets and maybe creating domed habitats before we go fully exploring other solar systems for habitable planets in other systems. heck... we'll be modifiying ourselves to suit living on other planets before we find one suitable for us! just think of it... one day our future generations may be living on Europa! :D hehe.

ahhhh... isnt space great. so full of hope and wonder and potential.

13. Think of it this way if you will:

Dinosaurs live on the earth for like 150 million years of something, our specices has live only a few thousand. Our oldest ancestor is 25 million years old. That means we have more than a 100 million years to go to catch up to the dinosaurs. How evolved will we be by then, it's crazy to think about it.

Our sun is 5 billion years old and has about another 5 billion left in it. The dinosaurs live for a tiny fraction of that time and we've lived for a fraction of the time the dinosaurs lived here. How can our species exist that long? Eventually we'll die out and a new species might start on this planet, perhaps intelligent perhaps not, so far the planet's batting .500 in intelligent life. Another species could eventually create documentaries on us, or they may never realize we existed.

If we die out before we get off this rock not only will each of own lives be totally insignificant, but our entire species' existence will have been insignificant. How many species are out there that no other species will even know exists? A million? A Billion? How many lived as long as us or the dinosaurs, are we ahead of the average or horribly below it?

The questions are endless, the insignificance is endless. The moral? If nothing matters in the grand scheme of things then sit back and enjoy the ride, responsibility dosen't exist if in 100 years everything you've done will be forgotten. Even if you are someone who does something that is remembered for hundreds of years it most certainly will not be remembered in a million years and if we want to catch the dinosaurs as longest race to live on this planet we have a lot of million years to go through.

I could probably go on for a few more hours but I won't instead I'll say weshould figure out a way to destroy space and time making us the most significant species to even exist.

14. it has been theorised that there has been 5 great mass extinctions in the history of the earth. wouldnt it be cool if we managed to be the first to bring one on all by ourselves? :\

15. damn your smart!! got some smart ass stoners up in here!! digit is smart as hell too.... but KOB is that mostest smartest :) ;)

16. lol

beeing able to recite knowledge is *not* beeing smart. but thanks anyways.

beeing able too put knowledge into wisdom, now that is smart. and i agree, digit and bongish [and toosick, must not forget toosick] sure knows how to do that. and if you don't mind me blowing my own horn, so can i :)

17. yeah zylark, i'll let you blow your own, i'm sure not going to. hey.. how do you do that? dont you break your neck trying? (JK) ;) :D heehee.

k, i got nothin smart to say (xcept being a smart ass as seen above) so all i'll say for the remainder of this reply is...

YAMS!
    :p ;)

18. lol....shut up, u guys both know u r smart as hell.....

19. call it smart if you want. but truth of the matter is, that ability is in all of us. all ya need to do is try.

20. i think the best place to be to go star gazing woulg be in the very north of Russia... asuming you could stand the cold. ;)
    heck, maybe even some of those islands up there... Zemlya Frantsa Iosifa, Severnya Zemlya or Novosbirskiye Ostrova.

only good for the stars in winter of course. during the summer it would be daylight all the time. in the summer you could be in antartica. ;) _ _ _ _ :D

ahhh... luv da stars.
    (In Withnail & I) does anyone concur with Danny's theory that "Hair are your Arials man" dingus? Hippie John? anyone?