Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

||The Stages of Being a Stoner|| *compilation*

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Philosopher4420, Sep 23, 2009.

1. #1 Philosopher4420, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
    Alright, so there have always been a clear distinction between noob smokers and seasoned tokers. There has been a time, for all of us, where we asked ourselves. We asked ourselves, after we put down the bong, "who am i?" That questions dives deep into the human conscious and subconcious.

Now, in this thread, I am not talking about stages of actually being high. That thread already lives: http://forum.grasscity.com/recreational-marijuana-use/308882-universal-stoner-grading-scale.html
    Instead, I am looking at the much larger picture. I am looking at the Grass Smoker himelf.
    This is also not a "types of stoners" thread, such as the one found here: http://forum.grasscity.com/recreational-marijuana-use/50922-diffrent-types-stoners.html
    Like I said, I am not scaling on how high you are, or what kind of stoner personality you are.

Many times I have asked myself how far along I have advanced in the progression of stoner mentality. So I decided to check the universal Stoner Stage Reader.
    But then the blaringly horrific truth was poured unto me. There was no Stoner Stage Reader.
    It is up to us.
    Us.
    To make a scale, with accurate descriptions of their high, of both physical and mental states. I am just talking about an x variable stoner who progresses to smoke pot more and more, progressivly.

I'll start with level 0:
    The Pre-smoker: (never smoked)
    [Here's the important part]
    NOT STONED:
    Physical
    Normal, acts and behaves as he has raised himself to be.
    Mental
    Normal, thinks and reacts to life as he has raised himself to be.

WHEN STONED:
    Physical
    Has not smoked yet
    Mental
    Has not smoked yet

Now, we move on to what is commonly called, "the noob."
    Level 1:
    Experimenting Smoker: (tokes up very few and far between. Maybe when offered it at a party or when with close friends.)
    NOT STONED:
    Physical
    Might have a slight feeling of being burnt out (depending on how much he smoked, but is quite possibly a placebo)
    Mental
    Might have a slightly new perspective on life, but nothing drastic. More often than not, just feels happy recollecting/reflecting the experience. Still retained all forms of character.

WHEN STONED:
    Physical
    Very slowed down. Munchie food is a must. Has limited control of muscles, and laughs at virtually everything even remoltely amusing (and even some things that aren't)
    Mental
    Mind = BLOWN. His mind is racing, and he has no idea what's going on. Weed, being a new feeling and experience, has thrown him into a mysterious new world that he still cannot explain.

Now blades i set the outline to the next stage. Take it from there, slowly, and make sure not to miss any important steps (do not jump from the "noob" smoker to the "old man" toker)

Level 2:
    The Consistent Smoker: (Hits the bud every other weekend or so)
    NOT STONED:
    Physical
    Will probably feel a slight feeling of being slowed down (lingering for maybe a day or two after toking), but this effect is very temporary and very easily ignored. All that is needed is a fresh cup of coffee, and we're good.
    Mental
    Starts to find that there is a slight "mental haze" that is occurring every now and again. Just as the physical problem of sluggishness, this feeling is very minimum and does not interfere with every day life. Instead, it can be viewed as a more relaxed state.

WHEN STONED:
    Physical
    Still very sluggish. Everything is chill, but now has more control over body movement and coordination. Walking is beginning to feel a little more normal. Regardless, the Consistant Smoker still looks high as SHIT when he burns some.

Mental
    Has entered the brave new world of being high, and is slowly starting to grasp the concept of being intoxicated. He knows now, more or less, what to expect when he lights up. This does not mean that he knows what's going on, however.

Level 3:
    The Weekly Smoker: (just as the name suggests, lights up ~every week or so)
    NOT STONED:
    Physical
    Being burnt out now has actual meaning to the stoner. He realizes that every action has a reaction, and will occasionally find himself wanting to take a nap in the corner during class.
    This is still easily cured with a nice cup of java.
    Mental
    The stoner is now understanding the mental portion of being burnt out. When in this condition, he might take a little more time forming sentences in his head before he speaks them. However, of course, no permanent ill effects have taken place. At this point, the specimin is only effected during the periods after he has light up.

WHEN STONED:
    Physical
    Has the coordination to ride a bike, which is a shit load of fun when you're high. Moving is a much simpler task than it was in the beginning. The aspect of the "lazy stoner" might or might not be gone, depending on the personality. Regardless, the effect of time and space warping around him is probably more or less gone (you all know the feeling. if you remember it...lol)

Mental
    Don't get me wrong, the stoner is still getting high. That's why we enjoy it so much. But he is starting to realize, a little more, how it is effecting him. He understands, just a little better, what exactly the THC is doing to his body. He can now [almost] fully expect to know what his next high is going to feel like. The little fucker can still get paranoid though.

Level 8ish? We skipped some. w.e
    The Daily Smoker: (weekdays: after 5:30 PM, weekends: after 1 PM)
    [added by Troy McLure]
    NOT STONED:
    Physical
    i'm pretty hazy in the morning, but i was like that all my life, even before i started toking.
    a lengthy hot shower usually restores my vital functions.
    no negative effects from smoking the night before at all.
    Mental
    during the day i need to be sharp and clear. except for the occasional short-term memory problems (which might also be caused by my disinterest in the work) i have no problems.
    i'd say my efficiency at work has diminished by 5-10% since i started burning daily. (~7 yrs ago)

WHEN STONED:
    Physical
    i walk around my place a bit more careful when i'm toasted. i also know my limitations and try not to get on ladders, windowsills or other dangerous activities.
    on a weekend after about 12 hrs of being high, i usually become too tired and fall asleep.
    i almost never have headaches, and the few times i do, i'm almost always sober and at the end of a workday. some weed lovingly brings balance to my neurotransmitters and the headache melts away.
    Mental
    depends on the strain of course, but while it is naturally not as awesome as your first dozen experiences, it is still very very good. it helps me deal with the nasty subject matters i occupy myself with and gives me a much loved mini-vacation from 'the real world' and work each day.

Level...
    idk. it's impossible to keep track with stoners
    The Continuous Smoker: (smokes everyday, all day. location is irrelevant.)
    [added by wdavis36]
    NOT STONED:
    Physical: Infrequent, inconsistent periods when the individual is actually not stoned, they might feel a bit nauseated and tense. Headaches are fairly common.
    Mental: Thinking about the next toke.

WHEN STONED:
    Physical: Slow and meditated. Coordination can never be retained to the level of pre-smoking years but the adaption to the slowed animation generates a smooth functionality.
    Mental: Distant but collected. An inclination to stare off into space is fairly recurring. Otherwise there is no way to dectect if this person is high unless they are at the point where they neglect to maintain their red eyes and blunt odor (keeping your eyes white and your body smellin fresh can adds up to a rather expensive maintenance fee).

2. high is more like a state of mind or perspective (view point) whatever you wanna call it. When you first experience it, it's like you're re-experiencing the world through a different set of eyes. So, while i agree that there are seemingly synonomous "stages" that a stoner progresses through I don't think they could be nailed down to particular stages especially since different people seem to experience them in random and/or recurring order. To categorize the different mental progression of any collective of persons in any state of mind would be difficult in the sense that eveyones psyche funcitions differently and imcomparitively to even those that would seem most similiar. To me these changes/stages/phases would be more aptly classified as the individual responses to a shared similiar perspective/experience. The phases are then more of a...we'll say "maturing" because that what it seemed like to me, but really just for lack of a better word. So while we'll obviously have trends since we're all the same species I believe all beings respond differently to stimuli. I didn't want to boosh on your thread, but since you spent a little bit of time clarifying your topic, I thought we may as well really nail it down haha. Also, I thought it might help to try and get some responses. I would, however, be extremely interested to hear about peoples different stages of stonerdom. It'd be interesting to gain others insights on the progression of ones perspective throughout their weed career.

3. ^^^ thats deep

4. This is great!
    Stoner-stages and a counter-argument showing how they are both effective and ineffective at the same time.

I don't know if I'd call them stages, or levels (because everyonce in a while you smoke that bud that makes your buzz level up) I do consider myself having leveled up, though I feel the levels are more defined than the stages listed here.

My brother introduced me to Mary Jane when I was about 15 or 16. As part of the drug-free program hammered into kids in school, marijuana was always portrayed as an evil, evil substance. That's why I made the concious decision to smoke it, and I enjoyed both the smoking, and the effects. I kept my head and was quickly welcomed into my brother's friends' circle. I went from trying it out to smoking a few times ever-so often with my brother and his friends when I was in high school to smoking everytime I saw him, which was every other weekend. Id be in town to visit people and end up spending the night with him and his wife gettting ripped. I didn't know a thing about tolerance back then, because I only smoked 4-6 days out of the month, so each time I got high it was like the first time.

After a few years following this formula, then came the moment when I bought my first bag. That first bag was a big step for me, really. My brother had asked me to go in on a bag with him numerous times before but I declined not wanting to have anything on me (I was alot more paranoid back then, even without smoking weed, didn't have anything to smoke out of and couldn't roll a joint, which has not changed. But now, where my joint skills are lacking, my paraphernalia's cracking!) That first 8th lasted me over a month. I only smoked when I was around fellow smokers, which usually meant him or my bud-brother, who is not the afore-mentioned brother.

A few months later, I ended up moving in with my bud-brother and his wife and kid, all my family, and I was thrust head-first into the stoner scene. Lots of highs and lows and mind-bending and -breaking. At my worst, I couldn't even make an 8th last two days because I had hit the point where all I wanted to do was get high and be high every second I was awake. He was in that "boat" with me, and we were too high to care where it was drifting. That period lasted for awhile, even though we couldn't financially support that lifestyle, when we did have the money for weed, we bought it, and if we had it, we were smoking it til it was gone.

Eventually we realized that we were smoking all our pot up faster than we could get it, so we strove to make our bags last longer, and to avoid smoking more than we had to to get a good buzz going. Now I can make an 8th last 5 days to a week, depending on the circumstances. I'm a daily smoker, but I dont spend all of each day being high. I make myself wait until 4:20 pm, unless I'm in serious pain or someone stops in or it's the weekend. Keeping a lid on it throughout the week makes smoking at that designated time special, and it keeps me from running out super-fast like I used to.

So these are my levels. I plan on smoking cannabis until the day I die, so I might as well already be that old-man toker. With my problems, I feel like an old man all the time even though I'm only in my 20's, so I do believe it's fitting.

I'm curious about other people's levels, stages, whatever label you prefer to use to describe your ascention from a noob to the seasoned stoner and beyond!

OP and Bernasky, + rep!

5. I want the rest of yours philosopher! You have good writing and flow.

EDIT: This was a great idea for a thread too. +rep

6. #6 Philosopher4420, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
    So far, not as many people are posting as i hoped. But the people who did respond, i'm very glad you like the idea :hello:
    I will continue.

Level 2:
    The Consistent Smoker: (Hits the bud every other weekend or so)
    NOT STONED:
    Physical
    Will probably feel a slight feeling of being slowed down (lingering for maybe a day or two after toking), but this effect is very temporary and very easily ignored. All that is needed is a fresh cup of coffee, and we're good.
    Mental
    Starts to find that there is a slight "mental haze" that is occurring every now and again. Just as the physical problem of sluggishness, this feeling is very minimum and does not interfere with every day life. Instead, it can be viewed as a more relaxed state.

WHEN STONED:
    Physical
    Still very sluggish. Everything is chill, but now has more control over body movement and coordination. Walking is beginning to feel a little more normal. Regardless, the Consistant Smoker still looks high as SHIT when he burns some.

Mental
    Has entered the brave new world of being high, and is slowly starting to grasp the concept of being intoxicated. He knows now, more or less, what to expect when he lights up. This does not mean that he knows what's going on, however.

Level 3:
    The Weekly Smoker: (just as the name suggests, lights up ~every week or so)
    NOT STONED:
    Physical
    Being burnt out now has actual meaning to the stoner. He realizes that every action has a reaction, and will occasionally find himself wanting to take a nap in the corner during class.
    This is still easily cured with a nice cup of java.
    Mental
    The stoner is now understanding the mental portion of being burnt out. When in this condition, he might take a little more time forming sentences in his head before he speaks them. However, of course, no permanent ill effects have taken place. At this point, the specimin is only effected during the periods after he has light up.

WHEN STONED:
    Physical
    Has the coordination to ride a bike, which is a shit load of fun when you're high. Moving is a much simpler task than it was in the beginning. The aspect of the "lazy stoner" might or might not be gone, depending on the personality. Regardless, the effect of time and space warping around him is probably more or less gone (you all know the feeling. if you remember it...lol)

Mental
    Don't get me wrong, the stoner is still getting high. That's why we enjoy it so much. But he is starting to realize, a little more, how it is effecting him. He understands, just a little better, what exactly the THC is doing to his body. He can now [almost] fully expect to know what his next high is going to feel like. The little fucker can still get paranoid though.

Come on guys! Am i really gonna be the only one doing this?

7. Is this going to turn into a thread about how daily or almost daily smokers are hurting themselves?

8. Fuck no. This isn't a pro or anti marijuana thread. I am talking about the discussion of the distinctly different highs that smoking gives you over time, and the physical/mental effects associated with it.

Do you all not understand the concept of this thread? I might of not explained it clearly enough.

There are two parts of a pot smokers life; when he is inebriated, and when he is sober. The purpose of this thread is to remark on how different the two states of being change over time (assuming there is no t breaks or anything).
    I think we can get a really interesting thread going, along with a good debate on the subject.

9. Understandable.

I can contribute to the daily/almost daily smoker section,

Not Stoned:
    Mental - I feel about the same as I normally do, no adverse effects that are annoying.

Physical - I get headaches much easier. I feel like my muscles are a little tense for the first day after taking a break, but after I'm sober for two or more days I feel fine.

Stoned:
    Mental - I know exactly what kind of high to expect by knowing the kind of bud I have. Never paranoid unless I know I could be in danger. Extremely relaxed and in an overall great mood. If I'm smoking mids I usually stay high for about an hour with another hour of a decent buzz. Beasters I usually stay high for a good two hours. Dank still blows my mind no matter how frequently I smoke. I can really enjoy a good conversation when I'm high because my thoughts seem to come out a lot easier. I'm mentally able to keep good composure in public and being high around non-smokers does not bother me one bit. Even after extended periods of not smoking and then coming back I still act the same (only I'm a lot higher).

Physical - My muscles get very relaxed after the first hit or two and if I'm smoking good bud the body buzz feels great.

This is just my experience though so more people should contribute.

10. Very good read... pretty much hitting those different phases dead on.

11. Mystmoore. Everquest reference? or am I wrong.

12. The Consistent Smoker: (Hits the bud every other weekend or so)
    NOT STONED:
    Physical
    May feel drained, or may be upbeat. It's varied from person to person within my group of smoking friends.

Mental
    Notices the smaller details in life sometimes, when you aren't going through a haze or a blanking phase. Tends to take deeper thought.

WHEN STONED:
    Physical
    Able to retain themselves from being a complete idiot, and they know how to control themselves. Enjoys the physical feelings that are enhanced by MJ.

Mental
    When I was at this level myself, I tended to like and not like thinking about things. Sometimes, it'd be amazing, to finally understand how something works and getting your mind blown, but if you thought too hard on one thing, it was terrible because you'd get frustrated.

I'll add on more later on.

13. Daily toker

NOT STONED
    Mental- hazy when I first wake up, whether I smoked the night before or not. Used to use wake-n-bakes as an instant remedy but as I mentioned I keep it moderate. After 15 minutes to half an hour I'm awake and responsive enough to properly function for the rest of the day. I'm a deep thinker, and tend to just space out periodically, lost in some thought that sometimes lingers on the edge of my mental vision.

Physical- Alot of the time I'm dealing with a variety of muscle and bone aches and pains, and cannabis is about the only thing that helps without me swallowing tons of pills each day. But I keep my use down to keep it from losing it's potency in killing pain.

AFTER STONED
    Mental- When I first started, after that first exhale my mind is RACING, seemingly a million thoughts at once, all running tandem. As I got used to smoking I gained more mastery over this, and used that mental energy to plumb the depths of singular thoughts. Mental excercise is a must, and weed is like steroids for my mind. If I spaced out alot sober, look out. I'm also more vocal, and since I have anger issues, it's nice to feel that calm wash over me. I'm more agreeable, though I'm an agreeable person to begin with, depending on whats to be agreed with.

Physical-increased heartrate and breathing noticeable at first, along with that familiar feeling creeping up into my brain. After about the 3rd hit, I seem to exhale the pain. I can still feel it, but it's like it's negligible. Like a smudge on the screen. Sure it's there, but so what. unfortunately, it starts digging it's hooks in again as soon as an hour after I smoke, depending on the bud (I rarely get the same stuff twice)

I meant this as a P.S. but it kinda got away from me. Damn verbosity...

14. What about the people that smoke everyday?

15. I smoke pretty much everyday but I'll take a short T-break every once in awhile when it is just inconvenient to be high.

NOT STONED
    Mental- If I smoked the day before, I'm usually a little hazy in the morning, but that usually goes away by lunch time. Then I'll start getting a headache in the afternoon if I don't smoke. I f I wait and don't smoke it usually goes away and I'm fine after that and not hazy the next day. When I'm smoking everyday I'm usually alot more introverted and always find myself in deep thought.

Physical- I'm feel a little exhausted sometimes after smoking the previous night especially if I smoke a few hours before I go to bed. I do notice that my body temperature seems higher for a few days after I smoke.

AFTER STONED
    Mental- It takes a little more weed for me to get a good high when I smoke everyday, and the highs still aren't as good as after a long T-break, but they are still good. Mostly just increased introspection and thought in general. My wife has said that I'm funnier when I'm high, so I've started coming up with comedy material while high.

Physical-Really depends on what I'm smoking. Lately I've been smoking a nice hybrid strain that doesn't have as much as a body high as I'm used to and is more mental, but I do enjoy a nice indica couch lock sometimes. Regardless of what weed I'm smoking I get really tired after I smoke if it is later in the day, but I think that is just because I'm pretty much sleep deprived most of the time and really should get more sleep.

16. I'm glad there is more participation in the thread, but we don't need three different variations of "The Daily Smoker"
    You're skipping levels. There is a big step between Lvl3 "Weekly Stoner" and the "Daily Smoker." Try to go in order :p
    Any takers to put up Level4, the "Bi Weekly Stoner"??

17. I really enjoyed your thread Philosopher. I can relate personally.Though I do not think this is the story for all smokers. I remember when I was 14 and started smoking that I only did it to be cool but now I do it because it gets me high.

18. hey man i dig your detailed description, its obvious you like to listen to your brain and the way its reacting this this beautiful herb, kudos. i would like to know what you and anyone else would think of a stage 4.
    wouldnt know what it call it, but i know im in it right now.
    iv been through all the stages you were talking about also a stage where i would fiend a bong whenever i was bored.
    just for something to do, something to occupie my mind, fill it up with thoughts and that will lead for some new riffs and sometimes give me will power to get off my ass and go for a surf or somthing.
    i look back now and think, that definatly is not what gods herb is for as im sure everyone will agree
    anyways off that
    stage 4 ahah...
    iv reached the point where i go on with my life for a few days sometimes even a week
    just forget it
    then i start feelin like a smoke, things have been building up in my head what i want to do when i smoke a joint.. what to eat what to do where to do it etc haha
    in this time iv been in sobriety iv gotten used to the feeling and the headspace and the way thoughts roll and my outlook on everything.
    i aqquire some smoke off a mate, smell the buds, look at the buds and just admire them for a while aha as im sure you all do
    chop it up with a bit of my favorite herbs (blue lotus) add a bit of champion tobacco and get my belovid tally hoes out and roll myself a joint to the best of my abilities
    sit there and think what i want to listen to while i smoke it
    then im smoking it tasting the qualities
    the texture of the smoke and i just love it so much! aha
    then just sit back and take my time with it and let it take hold of me studdying how it makes me feel and the thoughts that flow through my head. just appreciate how much better/different it is then sobriety
    then i want to do something, experience somthing on this high that i would normally do sobar or even something completely different.. just experience it while im in a different mindstate to understand it more or just in a different perspectic.
    thats what stage im in at the moment and i think thats how i will be forever because it just clears all of lifes bullshit out of my head and i wake up feeling like iv been asleep for days.
    wondering what everyone elses thoughts are on this?
    never rush, always take your time. you cant give the answer a chance to come if you rush in and finish it before it can get to you can you?
    peace.

19. i smoke so much and am high that you're going to have to catch me on a sober day if i ever run out of weed and can't find any, good luck, on your part.

20. While i did base the entries on my own experiences, the point of this thread is to make a compilation of everyone's experiences (and opinions).

Should I just continue with the Bi Weekly Stoner?