The Sprouting Struggle

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Corn Man, May 9, 2014.

1. Keeping this short and sweet.

I put a seed directly in rockwool, like 1/4 inch down. No germination, yeah, shame on your corn man.

At any rate, I dug around in very gently today, because it had been a week and saw that it rooted down into the rockwool, but nothing is growing up. like the thing closest to the light is the seed. I just covered it in some dirt to protect from the sun and watered it to make it moist.

At what point should I crack the Rockwool and inspect?

Another week?

I haven't worked with seeds in years and never worked with rockwool so I am just super impatient and anxious 

2. I live near the desert, so humidity was only about 20%, just put the dome over it. 

Lost cause or just taking forever?

3. it's also a bigger rockwool cube if that makes a difference 

4. So it rooted but hasn't broken the surface of the rockwool cube? I would gently cut awy the top of the rockwool cube until you get close to the top of the seedlings. Don't cut the bottom area where the tap root is growing, if you accidently cut in to or cut the whole tap root its dead.

5. Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Well being impatient, I split it. I am going to start in soil. It is just something I am 10x more comfortable with for starting. I know how to transplant to hydro. I just want to know if this baby is dead, if you would be able to tell that is. I am pretty sure she will be fine, but here is a ton of picks from the start to finish of the split and removal 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. It doesn't look dead, the tap root still looks nice and white and the seed head looks like it just needs to be a little  closer to the surface of the soil.

8. Alright, what I think I am going to do now, and in the future is basically take a big rockwool cube and hollow it out and fill the insides with soil. So basically it will start in soil and grow through the rockwool, thoughts?

9. Or just germinate it first then when the tap root pops out stick it in the rockwool cube tap root facing downward. I`ve done clones in rockwool before but never seedlings.

10. Also a wise choice my man. 

11. She emerged from the soil today, ty all =]

12. how old is it? just wondering, I prefer ghetto paper towel for a day, get a small taproot, put in pot that has grow medium with hollowed out space with generic seed starter in it hasnt failed me yet.